What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Teaching - Any good apps?

Tapestrygabi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, I just bought my iPad in the hope that I can contain a tote bag full of records and diaries into one beautiful slim pad. I'm a teacher and I'd really appreciate any application recommendations that you know of?
thank you.
Kind regards
Gabi

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you looking for specific applications for teachers, or you just mentioned your profession, and you are looking for general applications.
In that case you are welcome to search the threads in the forum. there are many with all kinds of retrogradations, and popular
But 1st of all I would recommend "AppShopper" and "AppMiner" that will show you daily new App's

tdmsu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tapestrygabi said:
Hello, I just bought my iPad in the hope that I can contain a tote bag full of records and diaries into one beautiful slim pad. I'm a teacher and I'd really appreciate any application recommendations that you know of?
thank you.
Kind regards
Gabi

I've used TeacherPal, though not as much as I wanted, since our school computer system does not support it, and our grade books are all online.
Anyway, the app allows you to track student attendance, behavior and grades. I don't know if it will fit all 500+ of your students, but it is worth a look. It was free last month... It might still be free now?

Good luck and keep us posted.

I am able to access all of my school's online resources with my iPad, but I have not used it during lessons yet. I use keynote to make presentations for notes and such, but I don't have the adapter to tie my iPad to the projector yet, so I don't know how well that will work. Now I just send the keynote to iWork.com to share it with my MacBook, and use that to present.

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In ten days time I will be going back to work armed with Note Taker HD, Noterize, GoodReader, DropBox, Office2 HD (spreadsheet for attendance; none of the dedicated apps I've seen seem particularly useful to me).

The first three apps mentioned above will be used with a projector. My aim is to do everything that was once done on whiteboard on the the iPad.

Good luck.

Btw, just noticed you're from Oz. If NSW then you need to know that the DET network imposes some limitations on apps that access the net. You'll pretty much only be able to use Safari and Mail while at school, unless you go 3G. So, no DropBox, no Googledocs etc.

Last edited:
OP
T

Tapestrygabi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
TeacherPal App

Hi tdmsu and others that replied
thanks for all that info - it's very useful. tdmsu - what category is teacherPal in? I've gone through most of them but can't find it. Of course, I could have missed it after the thousandth one my eyes started fuzzing over! :)
Kind regards
Gabi

Goldengirlxoxo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Victorian teacher with question

I am a relief/replacement teacher and was hoping to use my 3G to carry gloriously visual reference material. Encyclopedias, atlases and material relevant to Australian primary curriculum as well as documentation. Will definitely checkout app shopper cos not having much luck although the new dinosaur app sounds good.
I'm wondering will I be able to print to School network printers from my iPad?

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Goldengirl
I haven't checked out the printing thing yet, but I'm going to guess that it'll be easier to email your file(s) to yourself and print from a school computer.

OP
T

Tapestrygabi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for this Forum. You've given lots of useful suggestions and now I'm off to research them. :)

Schowalter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tapestrygabi said:
thank you.
Kind regards
Gabi

If you are interested in a plan schedule app, I developed ClassTime Schedule and have quite enjoyed using it in my teaching practice.

Cheers,
Larry

Glock Girl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tapestrygabi said:
thank you.
Kind regards
Gabi

If you are interested in a plan schedule app, I developed ClassTime Schedule and have quite enjoyed using it in my teaching practice.

Cheers,
Larry

I'd be interested in seeing your app. Do you have a link for it?

tdmsu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tapestrygabi said:
Hi tdmsu and others that replied
thanks for all that info - it's very useful. tdmsu - what category is teacherPal in? I've gone through most of them but can't find it. Of course, I could have missed it after the thousandth one my eyes started fuzzing over! :)
Kind regards
Gabi

I found it in the education category. Or, you could just do a search. I just got a memo from my school saying I cannot bring any personal devices, since they are afraid of getting a virus (I know it's a silly fear). So now I have to go back to using the school supplied 8 year old think pad. Yuk!

The fonts on the think pad look so jaggy it makes it hard to use now, not to mention the 10 minute start up time...

Evilteacher34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm also a teacher currently working on integrating my Ipad full time in my school, but I kinda did it at the last 3 months of last year so I can only talk for the few apps I used.
AttendanceIq: Great and fast attendance taking app where you can make notes and add points of view to what is happening in the classroom, I edited a few fields and added the talking too much, working very hard, great presentation etc.
Istudiespro: this is a great app for keeping a record of what classes and what time and a general calendar I used this app in combination with my univermsity classes I attend as a student too.
Note plus: not used in class still but I have been tryhing it the last few days and is a great note taking app, both hand and type written.
Instapaper: for downloading web articles or pages to be later viewed offline if necessary or just to add reminders of things I need to read about.
Presentation timer: a simple app I use in drills or wherever I need a timer for my students.
Grammar up: a good source of quizess.
Groovy grader: a simple app to grade my tests very quickly, if there are 30 questions it gives me the grade for lets say a test with 27 correct responses, this app is just cause I'm lazy I know :D
Grade pad: this is an iphone app, but is a great way to develop rubrics and get quick easy and mistake free grades for various subjects.

I'm currently playing around with Teachers attaché and teacher's helper I'll make sure I post whatever I think they work for.

Hope this helps.

Most reactions

Latest posts