What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tapping the screen

iBozz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Firstly, let me say that I have booked on an Apple Store 1 hour iPad introductory course in a fortnight or so, so I'll refrain from asking too many questions until I've been on that as it will no doubt answer many embarrassing Newbie questions.

There is, however, one thing that puzzles and irritates me in equal measure - tapping the screen.

Well, probably tending more toward the irritating end of that balance!

It seems that sometimes I merely have to think about tapping an app, or somewhere else on the screen that is "active", and the action is executed - sometimes catching me by surprise when i accidentally brush the screen when moving my hand across to the intended target.

And yet on other occasions, in order to get any response whatsoever, I have to thump the glass so hard that my finger joints buckle, the fillings in my teeth rattle and passers-by dive for cover as they think a pistol has been fired.

And even then, nothing happens!

It can't be because too many apps are open, as I close them whenever I have finished something and, in any event, it sometimes happens when only one app is open - not always the same one, either.

Is it me?

Is it the iPad?

Is it perhaps not an iOS bug, but an "undocumented feature" (as i used to claim when my COBOL did something spectacularly unexpected!)?

It really is frustrating and, in the limited time I've had the Gizmo (UK Launch day + 1), I have been unable to work out any common factor, action, app or anything else which might explain it.

Any advice, except perhaps to visit my dentist and get my fillings secured with titanium bolts? :rolleyes:

Thanks.

AlexisW

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The same thing is happening to me. A part of my hand will brush the screen and away we go! Turn off 1-click shopping, for sure. Hopefully I'll get the hang of it.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds like an individual operator or individual iPad problem.

I have used four iPads (two are mine; one my husband's; and another that I used and later gave away) and none has done as OP describes. I sometimes hit the wrong tab or button, but that's just my error.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You never ever need to press on the iPad screen. It works off of skin conductivity. So pressing can only wreck the screen not improve your typing.

And yes all it takes is a light brush of conductive skin to register a touch.

If the iPad is not responsive to touching either there is something wrong with it. Or it needs a reboot. Or your hands are not conductive or not clean. Yes I've seen it happen that dirty hands or screen affect it.

OP
iBozz

iBozz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks, one and all, I'm sure it's just me and I'll get the hang of it - maybe I need a bath more than once a year, zphone! :)

On a slight tangent, I wear a magnetic bracelet for arthritis (yes, I know it might just be the placebo effect, but it works for me and that's all that matters) and if I'm not careful when I reach across the screen and brush near it with the magnet it puts the iPad to sleep!

I hope that's all it's doing and it isn't likely to cause any damage.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iBozz said:
Thanks, one and all, I'm sure it's just me and I'll get the hang of it - maybe I need a bath more than once a year, zphone! :)

On a slight tangent, I wear a magnetic bracelet for arthritis (yes, I know it might just be the placebo effect, but it works for me and that's all that matters) and if I'm not careful when I reach across the screen and brush near it with the magnet it puts the iPad to sleep!

I hope that's all it's doing and it isn't likely to cause any damage.

It's not going to cause damage. Don't worry.
I just mentioned the clean hands because I've seen mechanics trying to use it with grime on their hands and it just doesn't work as well.
If you need to do that I'd recommend a stylus for the iPad.

OP
iBozz

iBozz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks, zphone.

Taking your "clean" comment on board - and crying myself to sleep over it and being afraid to go out in public now incase everyone holds their noses when I pass by :p - I have now discovered that licking my finger, then wiping it dry(ish), solves the problem.

When I master ambidextrous operation, I'll lick as many fingers as necessary!

Maybe my skin is just naturally too dry!

Most reactions

Latest posts