What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Taking your iPad out in the wild

OP
S

SallySparrow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For me, I just had a spinal operation one month ago and need to go back to the hospital for physiotherapy as well as follow up appts. Just went for a software and hardware upgrade for my neck. Took out 4 cervical discs on my neck, removed excessive bone spurs and had metal implants.

The iPad is a great as I can latch onto the hospital's wifi and surf the net or read ibooks while waiting for my turn to see the physiotherapist or doctor.

So far, I've only ventured from my home to the hospital.

Have to wait for my bones in the neck to fuse before going anywhere else.
:(

Ouch. I wish you a fast and healthy recovery. I am sure the iPad must help to keep you occupied!

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am so pleased to see that many businesses are getting on board with offering free WiFi and I am sure that all of these millions of iDevices has certainly helped companies make that decision. If it is a retail store, especially a restaurant or fast-food joint, the marketing geniuses finally figured out that the longer they can keep someone in their establishment, the more likely they are to order more stuff. Well duh!

The only complaint I have is that some places filter their WiFi. I am not the least bit ashamed to admit that I own several firearms (for hunting and target practice) and enjoy reading those forums as well... but NOT at St. Louis Bread Company! (aka Panera Bread in most parts of the country). They readily admit that they block content that they believe would not fit well with their "family friendly" bakeries. I mean it is free so I guess I really shouldn't complain!

OTOH, I have had the opportunity to use my iPod and/or iPad in two different hospitals and neither of them block this type of content.

[/mini-rant] OFF

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For me, I just had a spinal operation one month ago and need to go back to the hospital for physiotherapy as well as follow up appts. Just went for a software and hardware upgrade for my neck. Took out 4 cervical discs on my neck, removed excessive bone spurs and had metal implants.

The iPad is a great as I can latch onto the hospital's wifi and surf the net or read ibooks while waiting for my turn to see the physiotherapist or doctor.

So far, I've only ventured from my home to the hospital.

Have to wait for my bones in the neck to fuse before going anywhere else.
:(
I broke an ankle badly in march and still am on leave from work and it's my primary reason for gettin iPad in first gen, because I usually wait for second gen.
The iPad is a fantastic companion for an injured or incapacitated person. It keeps your mind off your predicament and even off the pain to some extent.

I wish you a good recovery with no after effects...:)

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I carry mine everywhere. I'm basically on-call 24/7. Now, with the iPad, I can do almost anything remotely. Before, with my smartphone, if I got an alert, I would have to get to a "real computer" to fix things. Now I just need a wifi hotspot or good 3g signal. I get a few "how do you like your iPad" type questions, but I dont mind. People are just curious and want to hear from a real person who actually uses one. I meet a lot of people who are thinking about getting one, but are still on the fence about shelling out the money.

Squirrel71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just returned from a trip to Disneyland and took it with me. Used it in the airport and on the plane ride both ways, where I saw many others using them as well. Also used it while sitting by the pool at The Disneyland Hotel. Got several looks and questions there...even a little girl that was with the family sitting next to us noticed it and asked about it. She couldn't have been any more then 10 or 11 years old. I guess Apple is doing a nice job in marketing the iPad to people of all ages.
Going to Disneyworld in September and I'm planning to bring my iPad. I have the wi-fi version and I don't think they have much wi-fi access there, so the Mifi is coming too.

Fotonutz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Sally,
Thanks for the well-wishes. Yeah, the iPad is the only thing that is keeping me occupied as I still haven't fully regained the use of my right hand after the operation. So, its great for one-handed use!

Hi Ivan
Wow, I know how painful a broken ankle can be as you are resting your weight on the joints.....Ouch !
Take care mate !! Hope you'll recover fast too.

Luke Bizzy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Works nicely sitting at eye level on the elliptical cardio machine at the Y for me. I catch up on a lot of reading while working out during the week. Many are curious and ask me questions about it. Really enjoy using this thing.

OP
S

SallySparrow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the well-wishes. Yeah, the iPad is the only thing that is keeping me occupied as I still haven't fully regained the use of my right hand after the operation. So, its great for one-handed use!

Have you considered using any bluetooth keyboard paired with your ipad? I know there's one specially designed for one handed use (I think it's called a frogpad), and another that projects a laser keyboard onto any surface. They might come in handy!

Most reactions