Taking your iPad out in the wild

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by SallySparrow, Jul 3, 2010.

1. CaptKirk

CaptKirk
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I've read about some restaurants starting to use iPads for their menus, placing orders and paying your bill, all in one visit. Not bad when you can pre-order your dinner and have everything ready when you arrive... and not wait to pay the tab.... :p

2. Frankfiore

Frankfiore
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I take mine everywhere. That's why I bought it.

3. Balibe

Balibe
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Took mine out to dinner the other night as our Bonefish always has a long wait. Kept my 4yr old busy during the wait playing free games like TicTacFree & FourInARow.

It turned into more of a conversation piece with another couple waiting. I sounded like a salesman explaining all the cool things you can do. They were Kindle users & liked the fact they could also use the iPad for that. Too bad I wont get a commission ;)

4. Pingles

Pingles
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Recent 6 hour Car Trip kept my one-and-a-half year old daughter occupied with Elmo videos.

Took it to the DMV but I felt too nerdy using it in there. It was just too "LOOK WHAT I GOT!" to use in a crowded group of chairs like that.

But I bring mine with me out a lot. And usually bring it to work with me.

5. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    I am with many of the others who say that one of the reasons I bought my iPad is to take it "out in the wild". I take mine to work every day to read books while on break (and sometimes while not on break!) and to listen to music during lunch breaks. I work in a HIPAA controlled environment so there is no WiFi available.

My wife and I were waiting for our breakfast at Bob Evans this morning surfing the net with their complimentary WiFi service.

Of course one needs to be aware of their surroundings and judge how safe it is to use yours out in public.

6. MikeM

MikeM
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Take mine with me anytime I may have to wait. I take it in the car almost everytime I go out.

7. NumbLock

NumbLock
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Not only do I take it daily to work, but I take it to town every day on average by public transportation. Funny you mention 'out in the wild' because it's coming camping with me Monday in a week.

8. tpad

tpad
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    If I leave the house, it goes along. I use it for email and to look up suppliers etc.
    I have a Clear Spot that I move from one vehicle to the other. That way I have my wifi hotspot where ever I am.

9. sunking

sunking
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Just returned from a trip to Disneyland and took it with me. Used it in the airport and on the plane ride both ways, where I saw many others using them as well. Also used it while sitting by the pool at The Disneyland Hotel. Got several looks and questions there...even a little girl that was with the family sitting next to us noticed it and asked about it. She couldn't have been any more then 10 or 11 years old. I guess Apple is doing a nice job in marketing the iPad to people of all ages.

10. Flinthills

Flinthills
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I took mine to the coffeeshop and sat on the patio, facing away from people. I enjoyed my iBook.