What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Taking my Ipad 2 3g wifi to Europe

Kricke

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
No, Italian Sim cards do not work all over Europe. I think 3 will work in Italy, Austria and maybe in the UK. But I am not sure about UK. 3 is an Italian mobile network which operates in Austria as well. For Germany, no chance with an Italian card, sorry.

Knut

OP
A

alucard76

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kricke said:
No, Italian Sim cards do not work all over Europe. I think 3 will work in Italy, Austria and maybe in the UK. But I am not sure about UK. 3 is an Italian mobile network which operates in Austria as well. For Germany, no chance with an Italian card, sorry.

Knut

Ok, so I go into a mobile store in Rome and sign with 3 for a month and hope it works in London? I'm only in Germany for 2 days, 1 night, so no big deal.

scudder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, so I go into a mobile store in Rome and sign with 3 for a month and hope it works in London? I'm only in Germany for 2 days, 1 night, so no big deal.

Not really, the roaming charges would be very large. Using a SIM in another country, regardless of it being on the same network, will cost a lot more than having a SIM from that country. For example, I am on Vodafone in the UK, I have 500mb data included with my monthly sim. If I go to Spain where there is also Vodafone, my data will be charged. My inclusive data does not apply as I am now roaming.

Kricke

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
If you go to this site and have google translate it for you, then you can see that 3 network offers something called 3likehome where as long as you use the 3 network you do not pay roaming charges. This is applicable for Austria, Italy, UK and several other countries.

But I haven't tried it, I do not know whether it works with pay as you go, I just came across this site 1 month ago or so.

Knut

tylerdonna

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Knut,
My son leaves for 4 months in Berlin (study abroad program) next week and is taking his ipad2. His apartment doesn't have internet access. Any ideas where he might obtain a mi-fi device or helpful hints? Thanks!!!!

Kricke

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hi,

I see at least two options.

I. You buy a mifi device for him. Here is an Amazon.com link.

II. When he is here he can buy the same device from amazon.de (link), or you could now and have it mailed to his address in Berlin.

II a - buy it and have it mailed to me. He can get it then from me. And we both (your son and I) could get him a prepaid sim card for the device. (But you do not know me and I could be a bad guy and keep the device.)

As far as sim cards are concerned I would either go for fonic.de or Blau.de. They are something like € 10 a month for Internet access and prepaid. So, no plan, just ten bucks per month, (if bucks is an exceptable word for Euros.)

As your son is going to stay here for 4 months and certainly knows some German, he should be able to understand both websites mentioned and make a qualified decision what is best for him.

Otherwise, he can call me and I will help him.

Does this make sense to you? Hope this helps.

Knut

Most reactions

Latest posts