1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Taking my Ipad 2 3g wifi to Europe

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by alucard76, Oct 1, 2011.

1. alucard76

alucard76 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hey guys
    I'm new to this forum, so I apologize if this has been discussed to death.
    I'm in Canada and going to Italy, Germany and London for 15 days. I want to take my ipad with me but I'm unsure how to go about being able to use it without paying a fortune.
    Any help would be appreciated.
  2. slothead

slothead iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Alucard. I did that too in the UK, and it was a piece of cake when I was in the hotels. Some of them (very few however) offered free wifi ("weefee" as they say in other parts of Europe). In most of the hotels you paid about 10 pounds sterling per day (which in my opinion is exorbitant, so I found free wifi sources). In London we stayed at the Copthorne hotel at the Stamford Bridge Chelsea Football Club. For some reason even though they offered the typical 10 lb-sterl (I don't know how to make the pounds sterling sign), I was able to connect to some other ISP that was free - don't know why. But they also have free wifi cafes there (although I never used one). In some cases the wifi was free in the lobby and common areas in the hotels, but you paid if you were in your room.

Good luck with it.
  3. scudder

scudder iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    You will find free WiFi all over London, most large chain coffee shops such as Starbucks and MacDonalds are free. Germany, similar situation. Italy, not so easy but many hotels offer it free in common areas as slothead mentioned. 3G using Pay as You Go SIMs would not really be worth your while if you are only there for a few days in each country. Pre-pay in hotels will cost a few £ a day, some are £5 and others £10 but most also offer the service on hourly rates if you only need it for light use.
  4. slothead

slothead iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Hi Scudder,
    We loved Edinburgh while we were there! We saw the "military" (it wasn't very military, but still great) Tattoo and the people and pubs were fantastic!
    DSC_8359_633.jpg
  5. giradman

giradman iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +770 / 0
    Well, I've not been to Europe since 1996, but concerning your iPad 10W power adapter - the device can use either 110 or 220 volts, so not an issue there; however, make sure that you have the right adapters to plug into the wall - hopefully those that live in the countries you plan to visit will chime in or a universal adapter kit would be fine (use to carry one to Europe myself). Good luck and have a great time! :)
  6. alucard76

alucard76 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Can anyone expand on how I would be able to let's say buy a iPad compatible sim for the entire trip and just pay one fee and toss it out when I'm done.
  7. parcas1

parcas1 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    You probably won't be able to, as the networks work by country and you're going to different countries. Roaming will bankrupt you! Some deals in different countries might be cheap enough to make it worth taking a month's deal for a few days, go in and haggle with the phone shops.
    Don't neglect the free wifi. There will be a lot more than you think. Starbucks and many chains have free wifi in the UK. We're quite civilised. Many towns have paved roads these days. Can't speak for Italy!
  8. giradman

giradman iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +770 / 0
    Well, if I were going back to Europe w/ my iPad, then Wi-Fi access would be my first choice, and preferably free - :D

Go ahead and google 'European Wi-Fi hotspots' - there are plenty of hits and locators; see what might already be available in the areas you plan to stay?

Another option is a mobile Mi-Fi device which can bring in a satellite signal and then be used as a Wi-Fi hotspot allowing multiple gadgets to attach - not sure what the options in Europe might be or the cost if a limited plan could be obtained - but take a look at Verison's Option HERE; of course, other companies offer Mi-Fi - these devices have been suggested in the forum before so a search might help. Again good luck in you selection(s) - :)
  9. Kricke

Kricke iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    Hi,

I am German and live in Germany. We do have Starbucks and McDonalds which offer free wifi - sometimes or most often here called WLAN. Many cafés and restaurants do have wifi as well, simply ask the waitress for the WLAN key. That should work, at least that is what I do.

I have no idea about Italy as far as SIM cards are concerned.
    Here in Germany you could easily buy a prepaid sim card and use it in mi-fii device. But it might happen that you cannot activate the card yourself because you need a residential address. If you go to a t-mobile store they might do it for you if you buy their card.

My advice would be - if you do not want to rely on open wifi hotspots alone - get a mi-fi device and buy local sim cards.
    Should you happen to come to Berlin, I could help you out with one of my devices and assistance, if you need this.

Hope this helps.

Knut
  10. scotland66

scotland66 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Edinborgh is great! Welcome to my town!!!!!!!
  11. slothead

slothead iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Thanks Scotland! I realize they may be just tourist traps, but I liked the Witchery and Deacon Brodie's Pub.

DSC_8384_658.jpg
  12. Zappadongo

Zappadongo iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    alway choose etap-hotels: wifi is free, they're friendly and ... CHEAP ! Try it !
  13. alucard76

alucard76 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I thought I could walk into any mobile store in Italy, buy a sim card compatible with the iPad, pay a fee for 1 month of unlimited usage, and that's that. I wouldn't be roaming and I would have to worry about finding wifi hotspots whenever I need to go online.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. scotland66

scotland66 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    You can, I've done it quite a few times, when I'm away in foreign countries
  15. alucard76

alucard76 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    So, do I have it right? Is that all I need to do? Can I buy one in Italy and have it work throughout Europe?
  16. Kricke

Kricke iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    No, Italian Sim cards do not work all over Europe. I think 3 will work in Italy, Austria and maybe in the UK. But I am not sure about UK. 3 is an Italian mobile network which operates in Austria as well. For Germany, no chance with an Italian card, sorry.

Knut
  17. alucard76

alucard76 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Ok, so I go into a mobile store in Rome and sign with 3 for a month and hope it works in London? I'm only in Germany for 2 days, 1 night, so no big deal.
  18. scudder

scudder iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Not really, the roaming charges would be very large. Using a SIM in another country, regardless of it being on the same network, will cost a lot more than having a SIM from that country. For example, I am on Vodafone in the UK, I have 500mb data included with my monthly sim. If I go to Spain where there is also Vodafone, my data will be charged. My inclusive data does not apply as I am now roaming.
  19. Kricke

Kricke iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    If you go to this site and have google translate it for you, then you can see that 3 network offers something called 3likehome where as long as you use the 3 network you do not pay roaming charges. This is applicable for Austria, Italy, UK and several other countries.

But I haven't tried it, I do not know whether it works with pay as you go, I just came across this site 1 month ago or so.

Knut
  20. tylerdonna

tylerdonna iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Knut,
    My son leaves for 4 months in Berlin (study abroad program) next week and is taking his ipad2. His apartment doesn't have internet access. Any ideas where he might obtain a mi-fi device or helpful hints? Thanks!!!!