What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Taking Long Time on "Prepare to Restore"

Samuel Cabalza

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry for huge bump! but still i have the same issue with this guy.. im currently stuck at "preparing ipad for restore"

I tried at my first laptop... same (32bit)
2nd laptop.... same (64bit)

What should i do? HELP ME PLEASE.. i need to restore... the ipad is too full and delay..

Itunes version is 11.3 the latest one.. Help please..

how many minutes should i wait? 10-15 mins?.... thanks in advance...

i need to get the solution badly :(

Admin edit: Removed Facebook profile. Please read our rules. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can you please tell us what generation of iPad you have? And, to what iOS version are you trying to go?

Oh, and is the iPad currently jail broken?

We need these details to get a good starting point so we can try to assist. Thanks.

Marilyn

OP
Samuel Cabalza

Samuel Cabalza

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can you please tell us what generation of iPad you have? And, to what iOS version are you trying to go?

Oh, and is the iPad currently jail broken?

We need these details to get a good starting point so we can try to assist. Thanks.

Marilyn
Sorry for the Facebook link.. my bad..

Well that was a quick reply..

Im using IPAD 2
Ios : 5.1.1
Current state : Jailbroken, (sort of messed up) Deleted cydia but still jailbroken,
I wanna update it to Ios 7

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry for the Facebook link.. my bad..

Well that was a quick reply..

Im using IPAD 2
Ios : 5.1.1
Current state : Jailbroken, (sort of messed up) Deleted cydia but still jailbroken,
I wanna update it to Ios 7

Double check to make sure you are using the iOS 7.1.2 IPSW that's specific to your iPad 2 (there are two different versions of iPad2). And you can only upgrade/restore to iOS 7.1.2 - that's the only iOS currently being signed by Apple.

Try the restore this way (I recommend you reboot your computer before starting):

(1) Close everything on your computer

(2) With the iPad plugged in, put it into DFU mode

(3) Open iTunes and accept the "detected an iPad in Restore, need to check" notice

(4) Hold the shift key and click the iTunes' Restore button

(5) Select the iOS 7.1.2 IPSW file you've already downloaded

(6) Wait and see if that helps...

Let's see if that works.

Marilyn

OP
Samuel Cabalza

Samuel Cabalza

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Double check to make sure you are using the iOS 7.1.2 IPSW that's specific to your iPad 2 (there are two different versions of iPad2). And you can only upgrade/restore to iOS 7.1.2 - that's the only iOS currently being signed by Apple.

Try the restore this way (I recommend you reboot your computer before starting):

(1) Close everything on your computer

(2) With the iPad plugged in, put it into DFU mode

(3) Open iTunes and accept the "detected an iPad in Restore, need to check" notice

(4) Hold the shift key and click the iTunes' Restore button

(5) Select the iOS 7.1.2 IPSW file you've already downloaded

(6) Wait and see if that helps...

Let's see if that works.

Marilyn

Waittt.... what?

so, ios 7.0.6 is not being signed anymore?

i already downloaded IPSW 7.0.6 cause that time, 7.1.2 was not released yet :( sadly but i'm gonna download another ipsw first.... So thanks! then im gonna give my feedback! Good Site!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Waittt.... what?

so, ios 7.0.6 is not being signed anymore?

i already downloaded IPSW 7.0.6 cause that time, 7.1.2 was not released yet :( sadly but i'm gonna download another ipsw first.... So thanks! then im gonna give my feedback! Good Site!

Yes, iOS 7.0.6 is no longer being signed and so can no longer be installed. iOS 7.1.1 used to be available (sign-able), but Apple turned off that one about a week ago.

Currently, the only iOS that can be installed on an iPad2 is iOS 7.1.2.

And so I'll bet that was your issue - had an older, "unapproved" iOS...

Marilyn

OP
Samuel Cabalza

Samuel Cabalza

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, iOS 7.0.6 is no longer being signed and so can no longer be installed. iOS 7.1.1 used to be available (sign-able), but Apple turned off that one about a week ago.

Marilyn
Thanks sir! You helped a newbie. Now i know that ios 7.0.6 is not virtually signed anymore. Thank you so much :)

OP
Samuel Cabalza

Samuel Cabalza

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Marilyn

one last thing, are there any jailbreak for ios 7.1.2?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes. You can jail break the iPad2 on iOS 7.1.2 using the PanGu Jailbreak Tool (link: http://en.pangu.io/).

The latest version is 1.2.1 and it's working great on my iPad Air (and my iPhone 5) running iOS 7.1.2.

Marilyn

OP
Samuel Cabalza

Samuel Cabalza

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes. You can jail break the iPad2 on iOS 7.1.2 using the PanGu Jailbreak Tool (link: http://en.pangu.io/).

The latest version is 1.2.1 and it's working great on my iPad Air (and my iPhone 5) running iOS 7.1.2.

Marilyn

Bad News! Still stuck at "Preparing Ipad for Restore"

But TinyUmbrella is active.. Does tinyumbrella affect anything?

OP
Samuel Cabalza

Samuel Cabalza

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Marilyn
If i turn off Tinyumbrella, It gives me error "3194"
Tell me what to do now :( I dont like seeing ios 5 nowdays ;3

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If i turn off Tinyumbrella, It gives me error "3194"
Tell me what to do now :( I dont like seeing ios 5 nowdays ;3

If you are seeing a 3194 error - that usually means you are trying to install the wrong iOS onto your iPad2. Double-check to make sure it's the 7.1.2 version for your iPad2.

And, you do not need to have Tiny Umbrella running. The only thing that should be running is iTunes AFTER you've put the iPad into DFU mode.

OH - one thing you might have done is changed your Hosts File(s) on your computer with Tiny Umbrella. So, take a look at this thread and follow the steps listed:

http://www.ipadforums.net/index.php...-to-restore-the-current-version-of-IOS.52863/

If you follow it directly and exactly as written, you should end up on iOS 7.1.2.

Marilyn

OP
Samuel Cabalza

Samuel Cabalza

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are seeing a 3194 error - that usually means you are trying to install the wrong iOS onto your iPad2. Double-check to make sure it's the 7.1.2 version for your iPad2.

And, you do not need to have Tiny Umbrella running. The only thing that should be running is iTunes AFTER you've put the iPad into DFU mode.

OH - one thing you might have done is changed your Hosts File(s) on your computer with Tiny Umbrella. So, take a look at this thread and follow the steps listed:

http://www.ipadforums.net/index.php...-to-restore-the-current-version-of-IOS.52863/

If you follow it directly and exactly as written, you should end up on iOS 7.1.2.

Marilyn
I downloaded the right thing tho. An IPSW 7.1.2 Wifi.

How can i check the model of the ipad?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This should help:
image.jpg

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I downloaded the right thing tho. An IPSW 7.1.2 Wifi.

How can i check the model of the ipad?

As Johanna points out, the model number is on the back of the iPad. But that can be hard to read, especially if that part of the iPad has had some wear and tear.

You can also see your iPad's model number in Settings > General > About > Legal > Regulatory. At the very top.

The model number found on the main About page is internal, or something. I have no idea why Apple lists this model number in the iPad an now where else. I suspect it's more specific than the Axxx numbers, but that's just a guess.

Most reactions