Tablets to Topple Notebooks in 2013?

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by Maura, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Maura

Maura iPadForums News Team

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +107 / 0
    [​IMG]

BGR writes today about a new report from DigiTimes’ research division that looks at the effect that tablets are having on the notebook market. While recent figures and research have always suggested that at some point tablet sales would exceed notebook sales, it was not expected to happen that soon. NPD Group, for example, said at the beginning of this year that it expected tablet sales to eventually surpass notebook sales in 2016. Based on DigiTimes’ new figures, however, tablet sales look set to topple notebook sales much sooner than that, as soon as next year, 2013, in fact. DigiTimes says that it thinks tablet sales will grow 38.3% annually in 2013, reaching 210 million units, which would beat laptop PC shipments for the first time. DigiTimes also says that Apple will still be the top tablet seller worldwide in 2013, but its market share will fall to 55.6% from 60% in 2012, excluding white-box tablet sales. Including off-brand tablets, DigiTimes says that Android will be the most popular tablet OS in 2013, with total shipments of 121 million.

Source: Tablet sales 2013: Tablets to top notebook PC sales next year | BGR
  2. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    Some of us own more tablets than laptops. :)
  3. scifan57

scifan57 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,518 / 1
    Me too!:)
  4. col.bris

col.bris Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +474 / 0
    Sales of computers where I am employed have dropped 30%. In addition Nintendo ds and Wii, Playstation 3 and other Playstation devices plus Microsoft Xbox are all affected by iPads, iPhones iPods and any Smart phone or tablet sales? Quick shoot camera sales are also down as so many phones and iPods have cameras built in. I am not convinced that the onslaught of ultra books is going to help the PC industry either as windows 8 appears to have had a negative reception from the general public.
  5. tlbaker

tlbaker iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +105 / 0
    Tablets are cheaper, more portable, and cooler!!! Great for travel.

Sent from my Tricked Out Glittery Verizon Black 32GB iPhone 4 Tethered to iPad 2 w IOS6 Update From NYC!!! using iPF
  6. iJamesH

iJamesH iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +114 / 0
    As good as the iPad is for games it won't be as good as a versatile gaming platform as Xbox,Playstation,Nintendo,etc are.

I mean I rather play Assassin's Creed on a big TV than on an iPad.
  7. tlbaker

tlbaker iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +105 / 0
    I don't own a laptop. I did years ago but they don't last very long.

Sent from my WiFi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using iPF
  8. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +443 / 0
    Depends what kind of laptop you buy. IBM ThinkPads, which later became Lenovo ThinkPads, seem to last forever.

I've had bad ones, though. I had a Sony Viao that sucked in so many ways, including having its hinge fail, so that the laptop just flopped open, lol.
  9. tlbaker

tlbaker iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +105 / 0
    This is very true, I just couldn't afford to take another chance on one. After my Dellasourus died after 3 years, I just went ahead and bought a desktop in 2004 which has lasted me almost 10 years, she's on her last leg now so I am waiting for the iMacs to become available I wouldn't mnd having a Mac Pro or mini but I don't want to buy that outdated Thunderbolt Display that they will update 5 mins after I purchase it lol. I am very surprised they are not updating those along with the iMac.

Sent from my WiFi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using iPF
  10. s2mikey

s2mikey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +131 / 0
    Bingo. It's not even close, really. Just like I'd always choose to watch an epic film on my big plasma vs a tablet. There will always be control limitations too for games on tablets. However, we are looking to phase out laptops and go mainly all tablet very soon. It's the space savings, the lack of annoying power cords, and being able to use it on the couch, in bed, wherever. I'm not surprised at this. Devices are getting smaller and smaller. Remember when laptops started taking over for desktop PCs? Same concept here.
  11. col.bris

col.bris Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +474 / 0
    I totally agree with that however the gaming platform is becoming smaller as less numbers are upgrading and we have fewer new buyers of Xbox, Playstation, wii and Nintendo.... I agree gamers and gaming platform will remain however we need come up with better technology. The upgrade to Playstation is minor and has not created the interest that Sony wanted.... Time will tell this of course is my personal opinion.....
  12. iJamesH

iJamesH iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +114 / 0
    When the 4th gen Playstation and the 3rd gen Xbox comes that will change.
  13. terrencefoo

terrencefoo iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I wish next will get Apple Mac air
  14. s2mikey

s2mikey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +131 / 0
    Should change anyways. It's hard to tell with these things. There are still some killer games that can only be played on the PC still. Like Age of Empires! Still may favorite PC game and not available on any game system or tablet.
  15. scifan57

scifan57 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,518 / 1
    Wouldn't that be due more to business decisions on the part of the developers of the various PC games, rather than any technical limitations in the iPad and other tablet computers?
  16. s2mikey

s2mikey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +131 / 0
    I'm sure in some cases it would. Overall though, some games simply need more input options as in a mouse and keyboard. Larger screens help too. Age of empires for example may not work great using a touch screen. There are other games that are in the same boat. Neve say never though, we know how tablets are sort of taking over and even some hardcore gamers are getting into them. Within the next five years we may see some big time PC games ported over to tablets. What about games like Halo and call of duty? Would those play well on a tablet? I don't play them but I know they are popular.