What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tablets/laptops as portables

p4s2p0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just wondering how many people carry them around other than students and businessmen and how often they do?

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
i'm a professional illustrator and have my old laptop (for presentation purposes) at the go all the time. in more recent times i've been using my ipod Touch (smaller of course, but has a massive client 'wow' factor), and soon, i'll be doing everything on my new ipad.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I carry my Ipad all the time. It fits easily in a medium size handbag or in my Tenba mini messenger with my camera and lenses. I use it everywhere for more things than I would ever imagined. I also have a Touch but its ueually used for music in my car now.

OP
P

p4s2p0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanx for sharing. I only use pocketable portables but have been thinking of getting a tablet for the house. Been checking out their capabities. Like I have read on here that you can't delete music or video without itunes, anything else it is dependent on the pc and for? Do you still have to use Itunes or can I drag and drop files in?
Also trying to find out if its video capabitlies are any different than ipod. I want to be able to put my psp avc mp4 videos on it, which ipod can not play.

Last edited:

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Like I have read on here that you can't delete music or video without itunes,.

i know you can delete videos on the Touch, you just swipe to the right and it gives you the option to individually delete off your device.

Also trying to find out if its video capabitlies are any different than ipod. I want to be able to put my psp avc mp4 videos on it, which ipod can not play.

if it doesn't play on your device then just convert the video on your pc first. there's loads of free 1 click video converters out there

OP
P

p4s2p0

iPF Noob
Reaction score

i know you can delete videos on the Touch, you just swipe to the right and it gives you the option to individually delete off your device.

if it doesn't play on your device then just convert the video on your pc first. there's loads of free 1 click video converters out there

But I have hundreds of hours already encoded I don't really want to do it again when I can just find a compatible device.
My average movie is 250mb total 86gigs of mp4

Last edited:

robertlc

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I can delete my videos on my iPad without iTunes. Just press on the movie icon for a couple of seconds until an "X" comes up in the upper left-hand corner of the movie icon and then press it. It gets deleted.

Music on the other hand, I can't delete.

OP
P

p4s2p0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But I have hundreds of hours already encoded I don't really want to do it again when I can just find a compatible device.
My average movie is 250mb total 86gigs of mp4

fair doos, we all have different wants and needs. for your needs an ipad isn't going to do it for you.

Crazy thing is ipod and ipad say they are h.264 compatible
my mp4 videos show up in itunes fine but my cousins ipod was still unable to play them

Last edited:

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
are you sure they were encoded with h.264 are not anything else? mp4 is just a carrier. you can encode an mp4 with a few things, meaning your pc might have the correct viewable codecs that the more specific devices dont, because it isn't correctly written.

OP
P

p4s2p0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
are you sure they were encoded with h.264 are not anything else? mp4 is just a carrier. you can encode an mp4 with a few things, meaning your pc might have the correct viewable codecs that the more specific devices dont, because it isn't correctly written.

Yep when I check the properties of video on my pc they say
video codec:MPEG4(H264)
audio codec:AAC 48000hz

On the psp properties say
AVC
AAC

They also play on other portables just not apples for some reason though I have not tried them on ipad yet

Last edited:

Aladyleyna

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I carry my iPad everywhere, and I'm neither a businessman nor a student. In fact, I'm actually a graduate looking for a job, and I actually find my iPad pretty indispensable right now. My laptop is much to heavy and bulky to carry around everywhere I go, so the iPad is pretty much an extension of my laptop, except in portable form.

anthonymoody

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm a film producer and my iPad is grafted to me. I use it for everything. Literally (see my signature...)

Most reactions

Latest posts