What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

System crash

bearwitme

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK.. Not a good title but here goes. I had my Ipad2 on one computer with Itunes. that computer crashed. I have a new computer and when I installed itunes and connected the ipad 2 it says that it is synced on another itunes and it can't be on 2.If I sycn with the new one it will erase everything I have and that means apps that I had already purchased. Is there anyway of getting the apps that I purchased downloaded again once I sync with the new computer. Also how can I de-register the old computer if I can't get to it.

Thanks
Connie

DarthGrievous

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dear Connie,

As you may know, Apple recently released iCloud. This allows you to store all your apps, music, videos, etc. wirelessly on an account. So just store all your stuff on an iCloud account. Go to Apple's website for more information. Hope this helps :)

OP
B

bearwitme

iPF Noob
Reaction score
According to the website it will not be released till OS5 and that is not out yet. Do you know the extention to the backup file ??? The instructions for back say it in under apps data under user name but that folder does not exist on my computer. obviously it is stored somewhere else..

Thanks
connie

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome unless you hav a back up of your old computer then you have a problem. However the good news is you can down load your apps. You purchased at no cost. You will get the message regarding buying the app but providing you use same account it will notify you that it is free.once it starts. iloud. Is coming so let's not go there yet.

What you MUST do is back up your pc it is that simple then regardless of the situation you have backups. Yes icloud will solve a lot of problems but still invest in a backup drive.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you choose to Transfer Purchases when connecting to the new computer, it will at least stop the erase dialog. If you don't get a Transfer Purchases option in the dialog, cancel the dialog, right click on the device from the list on the left, and choose Transfer Purchases.

Pretty much everything you have on the iPad that was bought in one of Apple's online stores will transfer this way. Most stuff added by other methods will not. There are third party apps that will copy all you media to iTunes, but I'm not familiar enough with them to recommend one.

You can not de-authorize the old computer by itself if it is no longer available. It is possible to sign into your Apple Account in iTunes and reset all authorized computers. The options does not show up until you have maxed out your 5 available slots, so unless you have, don't worry about it, especially since you can only do this once a year (if memory servers).

OP
B

bearwitme

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK.. Thanks.. I did do a transfer so I will go ahead and do the sync. Luckily I do not have much in data. But at least I will have what I purchased since I got the pad..

Does anyone know where itunes stores the backup file ??? Extention???

Most reactions

Latest posts