What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Syncronizing iPad in 2 computers and not losing apps

ramirezf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a very happy owner of an iPad since one week ago. I syncronized it with one computer, jailbreaked it, and installed some apps. Now i am using another computer (i travel a lot) and want to syncronize again to install another app, but iTunes is telling me that the apps will be deleted. I read some time ago that by changing id number in iTunes you could sync the iPhone with different computers. Is it working also in the iPad? Is there any way to be able to syncronize with two computers without having to reinstall all apps?

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You need to be logged into the same iTunes account on both computers, not two separate accounts. One iTunes account can share between up to 5 computers.

OP
R

ramirezf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am using the same username for login into itunes store and it doesn´t work (it keeps telling me that if i syncronize with this computer it will remove my previously installed apps).

pkincy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Go ahead and take that next step. It should (will, I hope) than ask you if you want to upload the apps from your IPAD to iTunes so you don't lose any.

Than you will synched all together.

I did it last nite without a problem although I had the same question you did.

Since purchased apps can be redownloaded without charge I used that as my fail safe.

Make sure you authenticate the second puter.

Perry

OP
R

ramirezf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
pkincy, which "next step" do you mean? The iPad is not asking me if I want to upload any app from my iPad to iTunes, it just tells me they will be deleted. I tried what Frostyfire says and there is no way to "manually" load the app into the iPad.

iTazm0n

iPF Noob
Reaction score
pkincy, which "next step" do you mean? The iPad is not asking me if I want to upload any app from my iPad to iTunes, it just tells me they will be deleted. I tried what Frostyfire says and there is no way to "manually" load the app into the iPad.

What pkincy might mean is when you sync your iPod or phone and the device has anything purchased in the iTune Store (apps, music or movies), that aren't on the PC nd that PC is using the same account the the "I" device being sync'd, then it will ask if you want to transfer the purchased items to the computer. I haven't tried this to a totally empty computer, though I do get that message when I first sync after purchasing items on the iPhone and the stuff transfers over fine. BUT DON'T FORGET TO DO THIS- Make sure the new PC is set sync manually, not everytime you plug in AND to either not sync your info data (contacts, calendars, etc.) or to be overwritten by the device. Other wise the new PC might erase your info data (had that happen too many times).

What I usually do when syncing to a PC for the first time is put everything from the old, or other PC I sync with, on a usb drive and put the data in the same folders in the new PC, then, using the same account and making sure the new PC has rights to share the account, I sync my "I" device. At least if something does go wrong, I have the apps, music, etc. backed up to try again.

Last edited:

pkincy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yup, as I recall (I have only added a 2nd puter once), you get that very scary message about deletion, than if you say "next" or 'continue" it will then give you a less scary message that asks if you want to download the extra apps you have on the IPAD to this new puter's iTunes acct.

You then again go "yes" or "next" or "continue" and it synchs them both ways.

Remember if you lose an app on the IPAD you can simply download it again at no charge. Your iTunes acct will remember that you have already bought it and not charge you for the addtl download. That is your fail safe.

Perry

OP
R

ramirezf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
pkincy, so you mean that after that first "scary" message i will get the nice second one and not lose my "not bought in iTunes store" nice apps?

felicat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Friends, as I'm confronted to the same problem (I first sync new IPad with my PC at home, and I now would like to be able to work also with my laptop), please help me in understanding if I got it right:

a) I copy, from my home PC, the directory "I Tunes" (in My docs/music) on a portable hard disk or usb key. It contains the "i tunes media" folder (with subfolder "Music") and others.
b) I paste those folders (or their content if they already exist) onto the same directory on my laptop.
c) I launch I tunes on my laptop and set it to manual sync (if possible) or I connect my I Pad to my laptop and set to manual sync
d) I can now add songs or other files dragging them from iTunes to the iPad icon in the Source listing being safe: my application and other files (pics, ibooks, docs) won't be deleted ...

Am I right?

Sorry for bothering with these "idiot proof instructions", but ... Prevention is better than cure ...:D

old blue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How easy is it to transfer data to the IPad, even if it wasn't purchased through ITunes?

I have a library of music for example, on my PC that wasn't purchased through ITunes. I'd like to be able to transfer this to the IPad.

martianboi213

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is what you can do to sync your music on multiple computers. Don't know if the apps will be the same.

[GUIDE] - for PC

Assuming you have authorized both computers with the same account:

Navigate to your "Music/iTunes" folder. You will need to get a copy of the string value located next to the "Library Persistent ID" from the "iTunes Music Library.xml" file from your main computer (edit with notepad). Then go to your second computer and make a backup copy of the following files (in case we need to revert back or a stuff up occurs - always good to backup!):

• "iTunes Music Library.xml"
  • "iTunes Library.itl"
Make a note on the string value (ID) for the second computer (you will need it later). Now change the string value on the same .xml file with your main computer's ID that you copied earlier.

Now download a program called "HexEdit". Open the file "iTunes Library.itl" using HexEdit. Click on the "Find" option, make sure you click the "Hex" radio button, then type in the second computer's ID (spaced out by two characters at a time) e.g. "70 8A E5 6T FF" etc.. Click "Ok" and change the values to the main computer's ID (again spacing out two characters at a time). Save the file, and overwriting the existing.

Open up your iTunes and plug your iPad in. Click on "Manually manage music and videos". You shouldn't get a prompt anymore to
"Erase your iPad" message :)

NOTE:
I don't know for sure if you could just copy your apps files from your main computer "Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Mobile Applications" to the second computer in the same directory path.

Last edited:

pointdexler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am using the same username for login into itunes store and it doesn´t work (it keeps telling me that if i syncronize with this computer it will remove my previously installed apps).

You can, what I did was to backup everything under /music/itune/itune media and copy to your new computer under the same folder..

When you use itune to sync, it will state that your ipad is sync with another company and files on ipad will be erase... NO WORRY, since you have already backup and duplicate every files and apps from the other computer to your new computer, it will be replaced with the same files and apps..

NOTE: It works for me every time (I have 2 laptops and 1 pc) but do it at your own risk.. suggest you google and verify all other methods and then try it..

felicat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can, what I did was to backup everything under /music/itune/itune media and copy to your new computer under the same folder..

When you use itune to sync, it will state that your ipad is sync with another company and files on ipad will be erase... NO WORRY, since you have already backup and duplicate every files and apps from the other computer to your new computer, it will be replaced with the same files and apps..

NOTE: It works for me every time (I have 2 laptops and 1 pc) but do it at your own risk.. suggest you google and verify all other methods and then try it..

ok, it worked for me the first time. copyed all files from "main PC" to"2nd PC" and sync... done!

now I have a 2nd silly question ...

what if, in the meanwhile, I add files or apps directly on ipad (such as podcast or Ibooks.)

As they are on the IPad, will they be sync on both PC or do I have to sync with one of the 2, then copy the related file in Itunes from PC1 to PC 2 to be "safe"?

merci!

pointdexler

iPF Noob
Reaction score

ok, it worked for me the first time. copyed all files from "main PC" to"2nd PC" and sync... done!

now I have a 2nd silly question ...

what if, in the meanwhile, I add files or apps directly on ipad (such as podcast or Ibooks.)

As they are on the IPad, will they be sync on both PC or do I have to sync with one of the 2, then copy the related file in Itunes from PC1 to PC 2 to be "safe"?

merci!
Yes, your ipad will sync with whichever PC you choose.. but just 1. You have to duplicate the files again if you intend to switch PC again..

Most reactions