What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Syncing without losing apps

Mgriz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,
I really am a newbie. Got my iPad 2 last week as a gift from brother in law. He purchased and put several apps on.
I have been succesful loading several photos from my laptop to the ipad on two occasions. Went to do it tonight, got a message that I will lose 39 apps if I proceed with sync.

Here's what I've done so far:
-backed up iPad
-repaired Itunes, reinstalled iTunes
-checked and unchecked sync apps
-authorized the computer
-cleared photo cache

But I`m still getting that message!!!:mad:

I`ve created a separate folder on desktop to transfer over pics from Picasa. It worked fine the first two times. I don`t understand why this is happening now!

Any help for an old, frustrated, not so computer friendly newbie, would be greatly appreciated.

I

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did your brother-in-law use his own iTunes account to put those apps on the iPad? Are you using a different iTunes account now? If so, that's the reason. Purchased apps 'belong' to the account that purchased them. If you want to keep those apps, then you'll have to use your brother-in-law's iTunes account. Otherwise you cannot keep those apps because Apple believe they don't 'belong' to you but to your brother-in-law.

Tim

OP
M

Mgriz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks Tim,
That crossed my mind. What perplexes me is that I was able to do the picture transfer twice before without any issue.

As I understand the terms with apple, once purchased, the app can be put on at least 2 machines......still, why was I able to do it already?!!!!

Thanks,

b00bie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I believe that you can share apps on five devices on the same account but not at all between accounts.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First ~ authorize your brother in law iTunes account on your pc iTunes(5 authorizations for 1 account), and you should be good by doing this after(see below)
trnsferPurchases.gif

or right click on your device

5bb73783erpurchases.jpg

you can authorize your account too on your iTunes with no issues, when you need to update the 7 apps he bought just enter his password when prompted to do so.

OP
M

Mgriz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks everyone,
I'll get him over to sync on my laptop and see what happens!
Cheers,

anggasaleh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mgriz said:
Thanks Tim,
That crossed my mind. What perplexes me is that I was able to do the picture transfer twice before without any issue.

As I understand the terms with apple, once purchased, the app can be put on at least 2 machines......still, why was I able to do it already?!!!!

Thanks,

Do you mean if i buy one apps so i can download it again in another ipad as long as i log in with my apple id that bought that apps? I mean if i buy that apps i can download itu to my father's ipad as long as i log in to that ipad using my account?

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you mean if i buy one apps so i can download it again in another ipad as long as i log in with my apple id that bought that apps? I mean if i buy that apps i can download itu to my father's ipad as long as i log in to that ipad using my account?

once purchased, download it a million times, on any devices you own, and yes your father's device is ok, with your sign in ID(your iTunes account).

gfkw47

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I have reported a similar problem elsewhere except that I have only used a single account in my name - but I was told I would lose 5 download apps. Any idea why this would happen. No idea what to do now.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I have reported a similar problem elsewhere except that I have only used a single account in my name - but I was told I would lose 5 download apps. Any idea why this would happen. No idea what to do now.

dont understand, to even answer. come again!!!

verwon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They may be referring to the thing others have mentioned that when syncing the iPad, they are getting an alert that so many apps will be removed, if they proceed.

---
- Mistress of Mischief

jasonlf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you plug it in you can right click on it and click "transfer Purchases" it should save all of the current apps on the Ipad on your computer. so you can put all your apps on both computers.

Aloha!

OP
M

Mgriz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Solved, I hope!

I had my brother in law provide me his password and used it from my iTunes to authorize and transfer purchases. However, the next sync removed the apps but did create a new fielder within iTunes where the apps were stored. I them dragged them to my iPad icon and boom! There they were back on my iPad!,

Thanks to everyone for all your help and advice.

M

Most reactions