What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Syncing photos - some not transferred

Holgaman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have uploaded a bunch of photos to my iPad, but every once in a while some of the photos won't transfer. The message at the end of the transfer says the photos were in the wrong format, or not the right kind of file. I prepare the photos in Photoshop and make an action that saves them all as jpeg in the same folder, so all the file are saved exactly the same. I've tried syncing them from folders on my computer and through iPhoto with the same results. I've also tried changing the file names to something simpler in case the name format was the problem, with no luck. Anybody have any ideas?

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have you tried saving them alone and not part of a PS action? Maybe using a different application?

OP
H

Holgaman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried saving them alone and not part of a PS action? Maybe using a different application?

I do save them individually, but usually use the action to save time. I'll try going back to the original file and save them manually in PS. I also have Capture One, so I might try that also. Thanks for the suggestion.

The files I do have now open fine in any other program I've tried. I did see something on an Apple support site that said that files that don't have an extension won't transfer, but these all have their extensions intact.

OP
H

Holgaman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What method are you using to get the photos onto your ipad? iTunes? Camera connection kit? iPhoto?

I've only used iTunes so far, don't have the camera connection kit. I would probably only get the camera kit if it has fewer problems, as I only want to upload finished photos to show clients as a supplement to my regular printed portfolio. Is it possible to upload directly from iPhoto? Haven't explored that yet.

maryinredding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the very same problem. I have tried and tried to get one photo to go over and I keep getting the same message that the photo is not in a format that can be displayed on the iPad. I have gone back to the original picture (not cropped or re-sized) and tried transferring that and it still won't go.

stevebostedor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ipadshow.com
Try this:
  1. Uncheck the option to sync photos in iTunes
  2. Say yes when it asks if you want to delete all of the pictures on your device
  3. Sync the device
  4. When done with the sync, open the photos app on the iPad, then close it
  5. Re-check the box to sync photos to the iPad in iTunes
  6. Sync the iPad again, letting the pictures copy back down

Does this help?

hordak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1. unsync all the photos from your ipad.
2. delete the folder "ipod photo cache". it should be in the same folders as in the folder you set as your photos folder in itunes.
3. rename the photos folder.
4. sync your ipad to the new folder.

OP
H

Holgaman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the very same problem.

Were you able to sync them after trying mine or Hordak's suggestion?

Never really got that far, it seemed something was wrong with the files because they wouldn't import into iPhoto, so I re-saved the bad files in Capture One and everything went great. I'll keep those suggestions handy in case it happens again, thanks.

wescov

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1. unsync all the photos from your ipad.
2. delete the folder "ipod photo cache". it should be in the same folders as in the folder you set as your photos folder in itunes.
3. rename the photos folder.
4. sync your ipad to the new folder.
Followed your instructions and it worked. However during the sync process it still displayed the message " that some of the photos were not copied to the ipad because they cannot be displayed on your ipad". When I opened photo on my ipod everything
on the album reloaded with no missing pictures. Thanks a lot

Last edited:

verwon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try this:
  1. Uncheck the option to sync photos in iTunes
  2. Say yes when it asks if you want to delete all of the pictures on your device
  3. Sync the device
  4. When done with the sync, open the photos app on the iPad, then close it
  5. Re-check the box to sync photos to the iPad in iTunes
  6. Sync the iPad again, letting the pictures copy back down

Does this help?

Thanks! Just had the same problem and this fixed it! :)

Most reactions

Latest posts