What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Syncing one photo album/folder between iDevices

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Would it be possible to set the sync of exactly one photo album/folder between various iDevices (preferably through Dropbox, but I suppose any other services would do as well)? That is, anything more "refined" than just the default automatic upload of all new photos to this and that service (which I do not want). I'd like to have a Wallpapers album in sync between all devices, for now.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Would it be possible to set the sync of exactly one photo album/folder between various iDevices (preferably through Dropbox, but I suppose any other services would do as well)? That is, anything more "refined" than just the default automatic upload of all new photos to this and that service (which I do not want). I'd like to have a Wallpapers album in sync between all devices, for now.
As to Dropbox:
Dropbox only syncs photos from Camera Roll. If you import pictures from a camera to the Photo app, they won't be uploaded to it, it also doesn't access Photo Stream.

OP
Commodore

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Which is precisely the opposite from what I'd want to achieve. :)

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Which is precisely the opposite from what I'd want to achieve. :)
Exactly.
Google Drive differentiates between albums and gives the possibility you need, afaik. The same does SkyDrive. You'll have to upload manually. I don't know if there's the option to sync automatically.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you use iCloud, create a Shared Photo Stream album. This will sync automatically between your devices. You can even choose to share it with other iOS device users, who can contribute if you allow them to.

This is how I keep my wallpaper album, btw.

It's a bit of a pain in some ways, since you have to copy the image to Camera Roll, which puts in in the main Photo Steam, and then you have to share it to iCloud, where you select the album, then go back and delete it from Camera Roll and the main Photo Stream. But, strangely enough, I've started doing this for all my albums rather than syncing them through iTunes and the computer. Syncing across devices happens automatically, and if you make a mistake you can correct it on the iPad, or your other iOS devices.

The down side is you don't necessarily have copies on the computer.

But, back to the up side, the pictures aren't trapped on the device either. If something happens to your device, you just set up the new one with the same Apple ID, and you'll get your shared Photo Stream albums back. Cool?

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts