What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Syncing itunes

electra2008

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My laptop has died my husband will let me sync on his but I dont want all his stuff. I have just read that if on his laptop I set up my own account there will not be a problem. The only thing is I have synced on it before so it "knows" me will that be a problem?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My laptop has died my husband will let me sync on his but I dont want all his stuff. I have just read that if on his laptop I set up my own account there will not be a problem. The only thing is I have synced on it before so it "knows" me will that be a problem?
Even though the iTunes librarys of both devices will be on the same computer, iTunes knows which content belongs with which device and will not sync his content to your device and vice versa.

When you synced it before did you use your own Apple ID?

OP
electra2008

electra2008

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I used my apple id I have both a 2 and a mini will they both end up with the same content.
I sem to remember last time one has more stuff in it than the other.
Thank you

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes I used my apple id I have both a 2 and a mini will they both end up with the same content.
I sem to remember last time one has more stuff in it than the other.
Thank you

It depends on how you set them up, and what apps are on them.

In Settings > iTunes & App Store you can turn on Movies, Apps, Books, and Updates. The first three will cause your device to automatically download anything you purchase or download on the other device or in iTunes on the computer. This only works for content purchased/downloaded from one of Apples stores. It won't work with side loaded content.

Updates automatically downloads updates for the apps you already have on the iPad.

Almost all of the native apps will stay synced, provided you have iCloud turned on for those apps on both devices. (Settings > iCloud)

Mail depends on what kind of email service your provider uses. IMAP and Exchange will stay synced. POP3 won't; at least not very well.

All other apps depend on the developer, whether they provide syncing, the method they use, and whether you've set it up.

If you use iTunes on a computer to sync, then you need to have the content you want to sync on the computer. If you want non-iTunes Store content to sync, you need to import it to iTunes. (and iBooks if you have a Mac) Each device will sync what you set up in the tab for that content. It can be different or the same. iTunes remembers your settings for each iPad it syncs.

The best way to tell what iTunes will/won't sync is to go through the tabs and play with the settings. You can always choose 'revert' before tapping 'apply' or 'sync' so that you don't mess things up.

OP
electra2008

electra2008

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have not explored itunes looks like I need to and your instructions seem to be possible for me to follow. Will give it a good try when
I get back home thank you

Most reactions