What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Syncing contact to IPAD

OP
H

Helenfrances

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My contacts are currently in Comcast Account. I spoke with someone at
Apple recently and they recommend I enter them individually. It was also
suggested that I use gmail which I have set up an account for and then
when I tried to sync with Itunes - my password was not accepted in the
gmail acct.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You don not need to to anything in iTunes to sync your GMail. All mail, contact, calendar syncing that you set up in iTunes is either to the local computer or a MobileMe account. If you don't have those accounts don't worry about it. Just leave those sync settings off in iTunes.

Anytime iTunes asks you for a username password, it will be your Apple ID that it wants. The same password you use when buying apps or music on the iTunes Store.

To the point then:

To sync your Gmail contacts to you iPad use the following instructions to set up your Google account. The normal setup for GMail will not sync contacts, only calendars and mail.

Be sure to go to Settings >> Mail, Contacts, Calendar and remove your origianl GMail account first. This will prevent duplicate calendar and email entries, and other potential conflicts. Don't worry, all you stuff is on Google. Removing it from the iPad won't lose anything.

Now follow these instructions. Don't worry that they are for the iPhone. They will work just fine.

Set Up Your Apple Device for Google Sync : Mail, Calendar, & Contacts - Google Mobile Help

OP
H

Helenfrances

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I appreciate your clear instructions. Thought I was golden and got so
far as Google Mobile Help with instructions to do in Settings -- and when
it was in the verifying stage couldn't be done.

I put my comcast sign in for the Server and it was in the exchange window - put my gmail sign in and my user name. Does it sound like I'm
doing something wrong? Will try again later. :confused:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You shouldn't be using your Comcast sign in to sync with the Google account with your iPd. Just use your new Google username and password.

This solutions is not going to automatically move your Comcast contacts to the iPad. It was just a correction on how to get the Google contacts to sync to the iPad. You'll still have to find a way to move your contacts to Gooogle.

In GMail you can select help and search for import Comcast contacts, or something similar. You'll get lots of results, but I can't recommend any, since I haven't tried them. You'll have to be your own lab rat. :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Also, I'm not familiar with Comcast. Does it use the Exchange account option to sync with your iPad? I'm told the iPad will only work with one Exchange account at a time.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Also, I'm not familiar with Comcast. Does it use the Exchange account option to sync with your iPad? I'm told the iPad will only work with one Exchange account at a time.

With new update it's multiple now

Thanks. Good to know. Not having an Exchange account (other than experimenting with Google) I missed that feature update.

OP
H

Helenfrances

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It appears I am set up as far as my mail coming over to gmail. While syncing it seems that because I do not use Outlook and only Comcast I may have a problem. They were asking for a password for Outlook. I think I am all set and appreciate the help and suggestions.

Most reactions

Latest posts