What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Syncing apps from iphone

green28

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I'm sure this is covered but tried a search that came up empty. Ive had an iPhone 4 since it was new and just got an iPad last week. I tried to sync some apps from the iPhone to iPad on my work computer that I set the iPad up on. It will let me go from iPad to iPhone but not the other way around which is what I'm after. I realize not all apps will look right but would still like to move some over. Am I screwed because I set the iPad up on my work computer and email and my iPhone is setup on my personal computer/email or am I just doing something wrong?

Sent from my iPad using iPF. iPad 32GB - iPhone 4 16GB

variador

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't know if this will help but here goes.
First thing is computer/email sounds like where your email is has something to do with where you should dock your iPhone or iPad to update.
Another thing that is confusing is you can put iPad apps on your iPhone but not the other way around. Is this all apps or just some you tried?
So can you describe why you use two different computers? Is that part really important to you? Once that part is a little more clear I think your question will be easier to answer.
I personally dock both on the same computer and it is easy to share either way. I wouldn't think you could share docking to separate computers. Where would you share from?
Good question! Finding out about this will be interesting.

OP
G

green28

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got the iPad through work and had to setup an iTunes account with work email and through a company credit card. Also installed a company created app so that's why the iPad setup was done on the work PC. My iPhone 4 has always been on my personal PC and iTunes account. Since I'll be using the iPad for personal use I was hoping to move apps over from my phone. Things just aren't syncing up either way that I've tried so far. I activated personal iTunes account on work PC hoping that would help but still couldn't pull any apps off of my phone to move over to iPad. Confusing I know, I'll just have to keep playing with it and searching for an answer.

Sent from my iPad using iPF. iPad 32GB - iPhone 4 16GB

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you go to the AppStore on the iPad and log out of your company account, and into your personal account (or vise versa if I've got it backwards) then you'll be able to download and update the apps associated with that account. You'll find the account login at the bottom left of the store's Featured screen.

You'll have to switch back before syncing or updating the apps on the first account.

It is probably easier to just download the apps again from the app store (using the account they were already paid for with). While it will look like it is going to charge you again, it won't. Instead it will tell you that you already own the app, and would you like to download it again. But you must make sure you are logged onto the correct account for that app first.

If you have doubts, try downloading one of the free ones that you already have on the iPhone first.

Most reactions