What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Synching contacts with YAHOO

kwales

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am trying to synch contacts between an iPad 2 (iOS 5.1) and yahoo. I create a yahoo account in settings and enable mail, calendar, and contacts. The mail and calendar synch but no contacts. The red ribbon for groups is also missing. This has worked on this iPad before.

Keith

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Sit tight and someone will be along who can answer your question, in the meantime:

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've seen more reports of problems with the Yahoo accounts than any other on this forum, and much of the time it's a server issue that fixes itself; no announcements, no apologies. So don't be surprised if it just starts working again as suddenly as it stopped.

The Yahoo account does not support groups, so if you don't have more than one account syncing to the iPad (or a local contact database) the red groups ribbon will not appear.

Here are some things you can try.

On the Yahoo site, make sure all your contacts are showing up in the All Contacts list. This is the only list that will sync.

Try turning your Yahoo contact syncing off (delete from the iPad) then back on again. Open the app in between to make sure the contacts get purged. {I had to do this the other day to get my Yahoo contacts to re-appear.}

More extreem you can try deleting and re-adding the Yahoo account. This is fairly safe, but it's a good idea to check out the Yahoo site first and make sure all you contacts and events are there before letting them be deleted from the iPad.

Good luck.

City

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try contacting the Main support of Yahoo, or Apple and see the problem. For now, you can just go to Safari, and to Yahoo and sign in.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've seen more reports of problems with the Yahoo accounts than any other on this forum, and much of the time it's a server issue that fixes itself; no announcements, no apologies. So don't be surprised if it just starts working again as suddenly as it stopped.

The Yahoo account does not support groups, so if you don't have more than one account syncing to the iPad (or a local contact database) the red groups ribbon will not appear.

Here are some things you can try.

On the Yahoo site, make sure all your contacts are showing up in the All Contacts list. This is the only list that will sync.

Try turning your Yahoo contact syncing off (delete from the iPad) then back on again. Open the app in between to make sure the contacts get purged. {I had to do this the other day to get my Yahoo contacts to re-appear.}

More extreem you can try deleting and re-adding the Yahoo account. This is fairly safe, but it's a good idea to check out the Yahoo site first and make sure all you contacts and events are there before letting them be deleted from the iPad.

Good luck.

I had wondered what the case was with Yahoo, Twerppoet. I also have read too many members speak about yahoo and their contacts. Thanks for the explanation.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
I had wondered what the case was with Yahoo, Twerppoet. I also have read too many members speak about yahoo and their contacts. Thanks for the explanation.

It's just the impression I've got over the last year or so. I don't want to give the idea that I have any hard data, or know something more than what has been posted here by others.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's just the impression I've got over the last year or so. I don't want to give the idea that I have any hard data, or know something more than what has been posted here by others.

Sure, I completely understand. It just gives me a better understanding of what could be happening and what may be possible options for members.

OP
K

kwales

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. For now, since contacts don't change much, I am just synching them with the Mac and letting the Mac synch with Yahoo seems to work better.

Keith

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That will work, and I've done it before. (though I usually discourage it). Just be careful to turn the Mac to iPad sync off if you ever go back to syncing the iPad directly to Yahoo.

Or you could migrate your contacts to iCloud. Since you are already using a Mac, that should be simple.

Well, if you are running Lion. If not, and your Mac is compatible, the OS X version 10.8, Mountain Lion, update that is coming next month is only $19.99, and will update from Snow Leopard as well as Lion.

Most reactions