What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sync to new computer

rainbowbrite812

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got my ipad before xmas and RIGHT after xmas my computer broke. we ended up having to get a new computer. luckily i had my music & videos backed up on an external HD. only my apps didn't back up...not sure why.

anyway, i have my itunes library up on my new computer and re-downloaded about 98% of my apps (others i just can't remember what they were, or not of importance)...here's my question...

can i sync my ipad (and other i-devices) to my new computer w/o having to erase all the data that is already on it? like losing game/app info. i did a back up and then tested it on my son's ipod and tried to restore to that back up after i did an erase & sync...it won't restore to that backup since it's from a different computer...

any other ideas?

thanks!

SparkleApps

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As far as I know the iPad want's to be managed by just 1 computer, so if you sync it to the new computer, the only option is to wipe what's on the iPad and sync with whats on the new computer. It sucks.

michali

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The same thing happened to me and, like you, I had my library backed up to an external drive. My iPad had been set up to sync with any computer so I had no problem with a new one. I cannot remember whether I right clicked device when I attached iPad to new computer and asked it to do a backup. All I know is that I did not lose anything at all. Do make sure that you set iTunes not to automatically sync though.

BarkingGhost

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The same thing happened to me and, like you, I had my library backed up to an external drive. My iPad had been set up to sync with any computer so I had no problem with a new one. I cannot remember whether I right clicked device when I attached iPad to new computer and asked it to do a backup. All I know is that I did not lose anything at all. Do make sure that you set iTunes not to automatically sync though.
Is this not a default? Should I be looking somewhere on the iPad on on the computer with the initial iTunes installed to setup to sync with any computer in the home?

Also, do you know if I let iTunes rip CDs on one desktop will a multi-desktop setup reverse sync from the iPad to a iTunes-equipped desktop that didn't do the ripping? I guess I am confused about how multi-desktop syncing works, really.

michali

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I only remember when I bought my iPad, they asked if I wanted them to set it up and then said that it could now sync with any computer....sorry, no idea if you can find out if this is by default.

To your second point, I have no idea but hopefully, someone else will post the answer.

OP
R

rainbowbrite812

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks! i called the apple store and they said that if i did a back up and tried to sync with new computer it would work...it didn't. when i tried to restore from backup it said that the back up with sync'd with another computer and wouldnt work :( i tested it on my son's ipod touch and that's what happened.

i don't think i have a choice but to wipe :(

MacMike

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had this same problem a little while ago, after a computer crash. It seems my backups have failed and I thought I would need to wipe the iPad. Then I found a program called TouchCopy which did recover everything from my iPad back into iTunes. Worked very well.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I found this the other day and saved it, just in case. Now, I've never tried it, but it seems pretty logical to me given that I know that "Transfering Purchases" is how I regularly put stuff on my iTunes (I don't like to use iTunes to put stuff on the iPad...). I think the key here is that you make the backup (that you'll restore from) on the new computer. So, maybe this'll work?

"Here's what you need to do:

1) Without connecting your iPad to your laptop, start iTunes. Click on Edit. Click on Preferences. Click on Devices. Check the box next to "Prevent your iPod etc. from automatically syncing." Click OK.

2) Now connect your iPad to your laptop and start iTunes.

3) When iTunes starts, right click on your iPad under Devices in the left column. Select Transfer purchases etc.

4) After it finishes transferring all your apps to your new laptop, right click on your iPad and select Backup your iPad.

5) After it finishes backing up your iPad, right click on your iPad and select Restore etc.

6) After it finishes restoring, left click on your iPad , then click on the Apps tab on top, and check the box next to Sync Apps, then click on Apply below.

If everything on your iPad looks good after the sync, go back and click on Edit / Preferences / Devices and UN-check the box next to Prevent your iPod etc. The only other thing you may want to check is if your contacts, bookmarks, etc. are syncing correctly now. If not, go to the Info tab after connecting and make sure you indicate which features you want to sync with what sources.
"

Again, it seems logical, but, as always, YMMV. Hope it helps you get sorted...

Marilyn

saphire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have done all that, but it hasn't put my music and books from the ipad into itunes, when I change it to sync in the music or books section it say's it will replace them. In Itunes there is nothing in music or books so if I sync those I will lose what I have on Ipad.

I have just checked and it has removed all my music even though sync for those wasn't active. Ahhh! Have I lost them.

Last edited:

kestak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Greetings,

I did all that and it works to some extent.
My hard drive crashed and I had to reinstall itunes.
I put a bunch of books in my ipad ibooks along the last year. Most of them are technical books from my job that I converted from pdf to epub for ease of reading.
When I do those steps, only 37 books are imported into the itunes. There are hundreds missing.

I don't want to reload those books because they are divided in collections. It took me a lot of time during the months to classify them.

Anyone knows how I can sync that stupid itunes right with my ipad?

Thank you

Most reactions

Latest posts