What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sync Outlook Contacts & Calendar with iPad/2

tennisdv

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am new to the Apple world. How
Do I sync Outllook 2003 with my new iPad2? Need specific details :)

Thanks in advance.

h1611161

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am new too... however what I did was loaded up iTunes on my Windows PC, then sync'ed it. Add the email account (which is on outlook) to the ipad email, then when you get into settings, go to the tab Mail.... etc, and switch on the Addressbook etc...etc. Hey am no wizard, and just another noob like you... so this all I can tell you right now....

Sent from my iPad using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
While it is possible to sync your calendars and contacts from outlook to the ipad (via iTunes), I recommend using an online account instead. Sync your Outlook to a service like Google, and then do the same with the iPad.

The advantages are that you have a backup of your stuff on the internet, that you can acess with any computer. If your computer and/or iPad should bite the dust, any new device can be simple set up with the account again, instead for trying ot import/export/sync the lost contacts. Because the were never lost. Also the contacts and calendars will update on each computer/device whenever you have an internet connection, instead of having to wait until you manualy sync them together.

I know it is possible to sync Google with Outlook, but I don't know the procedure. I'm sure it can be found somewhere on the Google help pages.

To set up your iPad you'll wan to use the Exchange settings instead of the GMail ones, so that you can sync contacts and multiple calendars.

Here are the isntructions if you decide to take my advice.

Setting up Google Sync with your iOS device : Mail, Calendar, & Contacts - Google Mobile Help

If you want to use iTunes, the settings you need are in the Info tab. You'll see this only when your iPad is connected to iTuens and selected under the Devices list.

Whatever you do, do not use both the manual syncing in the info tab and internet account syncing at the same time. It will cause problems.

TiaMargia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Outlook Express and iPad2

Hello, I am a newbie to iPad2 Forum and so far I have found great advice and help from the people on here.
I tried to sync my Outlook Express account with my iPad2 yesterday and it wasn't taking on the challenge.
I have two email accounts on my iPad2 and was able to easily sync my Yahoo mail account, emails and folders but can't get my folders from Outlook Express.
Why doesn't iPad2 enable complete syncing with Outlook Express? If it syncs Outlook why does its little brother Outlook Express not play the game?
I'm interested to know . :confused:
Tia
Sent from my iPad2

celly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
TiaMargia said:
Why doesn't iPad2 enable complete syncing with Outlook Express? If it syncs Outlook why does its little brother Outlook Express not play the game?
Tia
Sent from my iPad2

Outlook Express has always been the ugly bastard stepchild to Outlook for a long time and has very little compatibility to the real thing. I'm not surprised it doesn't sync. The program hasn't been supported by Microsoft for a while if I'm not mistaken.

TiaMargia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Outlook Express has always been the ugly bastard stepchild to Outlook for a long time and has very little compatibility to the real thing. I'm not surprised it doesn't sync. The program hasn't been supported by Microsoft for a while if I'm not mistaken.

A 'grown up' response would have sufficed without the disgusting language!!!

jfolliard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try gsyncit as a background auto syncing your PC outlook to your google account. Then set up your syncing from google to the iPad per the earlier post. I have two pcs and my iPad appt.s and contacts all syncing this way.

GlenL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
TiaMargia said:
I have two email accounts on my iPad2 and was able to easily sync my Yahoo mail account, emails and folders but can't get my folders from Outlook Express.
Tia
Sent from my iPad2

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the iPad does not sync with outlook, it syncs with the exchange server. If your outlook express had an exchange server, then the iPad could sync with it.

Also, outlook express and the iPad mail app have fundamentally different storage ideas. Your Outlook express probably stores all email that you've ever read, because a computer hard drive is large. The iPad mail app is only designed to store the last 3 day's emails that it syncs with some server, and then delete any old ones to save space.

Most reactions

Latest posts