What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sync my videos?

tomthbomb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tried a search. After reading about 25 with no help here is the question:

How do I sync (or move) my iPad2 videos that I recorded to my laptop (not Apple)? I have synced it several times with no luck. I have tried emailing them but the file is too large (at least that is what the error message says).

Thanks, ttb

AllenSalar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried, dragging the movie file from your laptop to the video tab in iTunes?

AllenSalar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are your videos in the right format? (As I remember it's .MP4 format, but there are other apps that plays videos in other formats otherwise)

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Once you plug your iPad into your PC, go to My Computer and you will see the iPad as a drive. Go into that, you will see DCIM folder, which contains all the photos and videos from the Camera Roll. you can drag and drop to a location on your PC from there.

OP
tomthbomb

tomthbomb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dhewson777 said:
Once you plug your iPad into your PC, go to My Computer and you will see the iPad as a drive. Go into that, you will see DCIM folder, which contains all the photos and videos from the Camera Roll. you can drag and drop to a location on your PC from there.

I did that, thanks.

The photos imported from my laptop are in one file. The photos I have taken with the iPad are in another but the videos are no where to be found.

I use the video recorder that came on the iPad2.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
tomthbomb said:
I did that, thanks.

The photos imported from my laptop are in one file. The photos I have taken with the iPad are in another but the videos are no where to be found.

I use the video recorder that came on the iPad2.

They are usually mixed in with the JPG images. Look for the MOV files. So you used the stock Camera app? Any other app could possibly have its own repository, and will need to be sent from the app to the camera roll first.

OP
tomthbomb

tomthbomb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did look at all of the JPG images on the iTunes "Tom's iPad" in the column on the left of the screen.. They were not mixed in with them. When I look at my Camera Roll on the iPad2 they are there. The thumbs have the small video icon and length of the video under the image. I did upload them to YouTube. Don't know why YouTube can see them and iTunes can not.

Why am I told the file is too large to email? That would solve my short term problem.

OP
tomthbomb

tomthbomb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Let me rephrase that please.

When I go to computer; storage devices; Tom's iPad; internal storage; DCIM File Folder; 804TDCXX I see the JPGs I took with the iPad camera.

When I go to computer; storage devices; Tom's iPad; internal storage; DCIM File Folder; 860TDCXX I see the JPGs I transferred from my laptop.

There are no video files.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
tomthbomb said:
Why am I told the file is too large to email? That would solve my short term problem.

mailboxes have limitations on the size of attachments allowed, depending on the provider. Some as little as 10Mb. Most video is much larger than that.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
tomthbomb said:
I did look at all of the JPG images on the iTunes "Tom's iPad" in the column on the left of the screen.. They were not mixed in with them. When I look at my Camera Roll on the iPad2 they are there. The thumbs have the small video icon and length of the video under the image. I did upload them to YouTube. Don't know why YouTube can see them and iTunes can not.

that is odd. Hopefully someone can enlighten on this, because I've never had an issue with video from the iOS Camera app. Other videos from 3rd party apps can do quirky things.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
tomthbomb said:
Ideas anyone?

There is another thread where the OP is trying to transfer his videos to his Mac, and is running into the same issue where the photos show up, but cannot see the videos. Those assisting got stumped as well. All that comes to mind right now is that the videos are not in the Camera Roll but another album within the Photos app. Although if using the stock Camera app, they should be in the Camera Roll by default. Will keep on it!

Most reactions