What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sync home Outlook and office Exchange Server with separate contacts?

bwwhite

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been searching the forums but can't find anything that specifically addresses my question.

I currently have my iPad 1 set up to sync my contacts and calendar to Outlook on my home PC running Windows XP. I would like to add syncing to my work Exchange Server for contacts and calendar. On the iPad itself, can I keep the contacts and calendars separate such that it does not add my home contacts & calendar entries to my work contacts and calendars, nor add my work info to my home computer? I'd like both on my iPad, but don't want home and work to populate each other.

Is this possible? If so, how?

Thank you in advance!

Bruce

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Each account you add under Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars remains separate from the others. While you can view all the contacts/emails/calendars at the same time, they do not copy across the servers.

In Mail you can view all your inboxes or just one by selecting the Mailbox button at the top left of the email list and choosing that inbox or account.

In contacts, when you have more than one database you will get a Groups ribbon on the left page. Tapping this will let you view All Contacts, or just the database you want. You also get options to associate contacts across all databases, so that you can view all the info on one person no matter what database it is stored in. Contacts does this automatically for contacts with exactly the same name, but you can manually disassociate them.

In Calendars you tap the Calendars button at the top left. Calendars are grouped and listed by account. You can turn on/off each calendar individually for viewing purposes.

So, you just need to find out what your work server's settings are and add that account on the iPad as an Exchange account. Be sure to check with your IT people and make sure it will work with the iPad first, or you may find yourself frustrated trying to do something they are not set up to support.

Most reactions