What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sync help

Loreta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a way to fix the settings on itune so that when I connect my iPad it doesn't start to sync?

Spink10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Connect the Apple device to your computerer and run the iTunes Application. Next under the iTunes Edit > Preferences > Devices , you will find all the devices and the backups which were previously generated earlier on your computer. Next Check on the option ‘Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically box’.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That works per-device, btw. You have to do it individually with each iOS device.

Annoying for someone who want to stop all auto syncing, but handy for those who want some lighter devices to sync auto, but iPads and their longer backups to wait until you ask for it.

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Automatic SYNC with iTune, is the most dangerous Virus, Apple produce - Be careful.

OP
L

Loreta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Automatic SYNC with iTune, is the most dangerous Virus, Apple produce -

Are you kidding me about this???
How can that be?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score

How can that be?
Mr. Peled is not a fan of syncing his iPad for some reason. I sync my iPad through iTunes at least once a week, sometimes more often, with no issues at all. I have a 16gb version and the entire syncing process takes about 1 minute, including the backup.

Last edited:

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score

How can that be?
Well let me explain.
A user with a Tablet and a PC does not need a program like iTune.
If Apple would have allow you to simply transfer files back a forth , between the iPad and the PC, you would have on the PC 5 Directories for Books, Songs,Pictures,and Applications.
The only good thing for Syncing is for people who are downloading stuff through the iPAD, and don't remember what it was, so they may forget to copy it into the PC for backup. Or, the other way around.
It will happen only on the 1st or 2nd month, when you move a lot of stuff into the iPAD.
In order to fix that "problem" all that is needed is a simple program that others have and will have to perform a Total Backup of all your iPAD - Both ways.
A program that can be smart enough to transfer only the new stuff.

iTune is a program that was produced only to help Apple to become "Big Brother" monitoring what ever you do on the iPAD.

Tell me one good thing that iTune does, that can't be done with a simple copy, and a simple backup program.

And about the danger. Just take a look at the forum, for people that did loose books, photos and songs.

I love my iPad - I hate iTune.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Obviously Mr. Peled has had some bad experiences with iTunes and is entitled to his opinion. OTOH, I have been using Apple mobile devices for many years and have NEVER lost any content through syncing.

My first Apple mobile device was an iPod Nano that I bought when it first came out and I still have much of the same music on my iPad that I had on my Nano several years ago. The only reason some of the music isn't there is because my taste in music has changed, not because it disappeared for no reason through syncing.

Sync or don't sync, it doesn't matter to me. But don't come back here complaining you have lost an app, music, book or whatever content you downloaded directly to your iPad and can not recover it because you do not have a backup on your PC.

YMMV!

pluto6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a different flavor on why I turn off automatic synch -

I try and always look at the modifications of apps before I d/l them, but sometimes you will read in a forum that the modification had unintended consequences, and if you are getting the new apps, then autosynch would automatically give you the new (broken) app.. and you have no way to revert...

Also, I manually load / unload music, and videos, and autosynch will erase my manually loaded music / video from the idevice, and I would have to load it all again...

Lastly, sometimes I don't want to take the time for the synch, as I have a particular task I want to do - load an app, whatever, but I don't want the whole synch process going on. So, I can tailor my synch to my needs.

You can always press the X at the top of iTunes to interrupt the process, but in the case of music content, the first thing that iTunes does seems to be erasing things it does not find... But, I have never lost anything, and I do synch on a weekly basis or so, just manually...

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
..... I have been using Apple mobile devices for many years and have NEVER lost any content through syncing.

.....But don't come back here complaining you have lost an app, music, book or whatever content you downloaded directly to your iPad and can not recover it because you do not have a backup on your PC....

YMMV!
Thanks for sharing your experience with us C4, But The point is not whether iTune Never caused you any damage. The point is why do we need it in the 1st place. It has (as you can see here in the forum) the potential of causing damage - that IS certain, but no benefit what so ever.
And regarding Sync of Application, as you probably noticed in all mt answers to others, that is the one thing I do recommend to keep active, since Apple force you to do that, with no other way around it. Unless of course if you are happy with what you got on the iPAD, and you don't download any new app on your PC.

I am still looking for someone to point out some feature that we can get only through iTune, that can;t be offered with another type of program

I have a directory on my PC with more then 150 eBook. On my iPade only 3 . You can't read 100 books at one time. So as soon as I finish one I delete it, and copy another one. I copy every day the local news paper+ some magazines, that I delete at the end of the day anyway,

I have close to 30,000 songs (Easy listening & Oldies). On my iPad I put only 300. When I am tired of them I delete it and move another 300 in.

Photos ? I have so many of them, but I copied some to the iPAD. Not worried, about syncing or loosing. I have all my photos on a directory (Plus CDs+Real Albums).

Document & Excel - Well like others. Don't go near iTune for that.

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a different flavor on why I turn off automatic synch -

I try and always look at the modifications of apps before I d/l them, but sometimes you will read in a forum that the modification had unintended consequences, and if you are getting the new apps, then autosynch would automatically give you the new (broken) app.. and you have no way to revert...

Also, I manually load / unload music, and videos, and autosynch will erase my manually loaded music / video from the idevice, and I would have to load it all again...

Lastly, sometimes I don't want to take the time for the synch, as I have a particular task I want to do - load an app, whatever, but I don't want the whole synch process going on. So, I can tailor my synch to my needs.

You can always press the X at the top of iTunes to interrupt the process, but in the case of music content, the first thing that iTunes does seems to be erasing things it does not find... But, I have never lost anything, and I do synch on a weekly basis or so, just manually...

MY Word.
You are right on all points.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess the reason syncing doesn't bother me is because I don't think of Apple as some evil empire that is to be avoided at all costs.

Millions of Apple mobile device owners sync them every day with absolutely no issues whatsoever. Of course some people have problems, but most of the time when people post here, they rarely if ever give us all of the details of what really happened.

Obviously we have different opinions on syncing. I will contrinue to do it on a regular basis and you won't.

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess the reason syncing doesn't bother me is because I don't think of Apple as some evil empire that is to be avoided at all costs.

Right. I think Apple made years ago a brilliant move with forcing users to use iTune with the Apple store. They earned billion out of it. If they were making the life of the users easier, and give up iTune, they wouldn't be able to sale so much software.
See what the JailBreak do . Once you have Jail Broken iPAD, you don't access the store any more.
You download "stolen-Broken" software, Without iTune.

So. It is OK for people to keep using the iTune as it is, But please open your eyes, and ask your self, if you need to use all of it, or just the parts that are a must.
You must assume that iTune is serving Apple, more then it serves you.

Most reactions

Latest posts