1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Sync all new apps - confused!

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by Madkitty, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Madkitty

Madkitty iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I currently have an iPhone and iPad and don’t have the same apps on both – Ive noticed though that with the sync all new apps box ticked it syncs them to both devices and not just the one that it is stored on, is there any way around this as its so frustrating and I don’t really want to keep it unticked as I will forget to transfer them across!
  2. DontUnderstandMyIpad

DontUnderstandMyIpad iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    Well, the answer is Yes and No.

But perhaps it would be best to explain why iTunes syncs all apps onto both devices. Any app you purchase from the AppStore is tied to your Apple ID, not the hardware. So if you instruct iTunes to sync all new apps, it will do that, no matter where the app was originally downloaded from.

There is a work-around and that is to create multiple iTunes libraries, you would then when starting iTunes choose, which library (iPhone/iPad) you want to open and thus have the two separated.

To do so: Hold down the shift key (Windows) or options key (Mac) which double clicking on the iTunes icon on the desktop to launch the application.
  3. Pocobear

Pocobear iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    I have 2 - iPod Touch, iPhone4 and iPad1 all on one account. None of the are setup the same. Many apps are shared and many aren't. And all I do is uncheck the "Automatically sync new apps", and on the summary page, I check the "Sync only checked songs and videos". I also check under "Edit" > "Preferences.." > "Devices" tab > "Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically", this ensures that something you just downloaded and don't want put on all iDevices won't be put there automatically, before you have a chance to tell it just where you want it put.