What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sync all new apps - confused!

Madkitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I currently have an iPhone and iPad and don’t have the same apps on both – Ive noticed though that with the sync all new apps box ticked it syncs them to both devices and not just the one that it is stored on, is there any way around this as its so frustrating and I don’t really want to keep it unticked as I will forget to transfer them across!

Reaction score
Well, the answer is Yes and No.

But perhaps it would be best to explain why iTunes syncs all apps onto both devices. Any app you purchase from the AppStore is tied to your Apple ID, not the hardware. So if you instruct iTunes to sync all new apps, it will do that, no matter where the app was originally downloaded from.

There is a work-around and that is to create multiple iTunes libraries, you would then when starting iTunes choose, which library (iPhone/iPad) you want to open and thus have the two separated.

To do so: Hold down the shift key (Windows) or options key (Mac) which double clicking on the iTunes icon on the desktop to launch the application.

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have 2 - iPod Touch, iPhone4 and iPad1 all on one account. None of the are setup the same. Many apps are shared and many aren't. And all I do is uncheck the "Automatically sync new apps", and on the summary page, I check the "Sync only checked songs and videos". I also check under "Edit" > "Preferences.." > "Devices" tab > "Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically", this ensures that something you just downloaded and don't want put on all iDevices won't be put there automatically, before you have a chance to tell it just where you want it put.

Most reactions

Latest posts