What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Symbols/Icons on this Forum

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is the somewhere to find an explanation for the various Symbols/Icons that appear against various posts (stars, icons etc)? I have looked around but can't find anything.

Since posting this I have figured out the rating stars so it's just some of the icons that puzzle me.

Last edited:

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Most of the symbols don't mean anything for all practical purposes, you can choose to add an icon when writing, or creating a post. The most important icon is under a users name on the left side: you can report a post (as spam, for example). We moderators get a mail when a post is reported.

The icons at the top of the editing window are formatting, or adding links or pictures to your post.

For the benefit of everyone else, the top of a post, you can rate a post by clicking on stars.

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Most of the symbols don't mean anything for all practical purposes, you can choose to add an icon when writing, or creating a post. The most important icon is under a users name on the left side: you can report a post (as spam, for example). We moderators get a mail when a post is reported.

The icons at the top of the editing window are formatting, or adding links or pictures to your post.

For the benefit of everyone else, the top of a post, you can rate a post by clicking on stars.

Thanks,

The icons that puzzle me are immediately above the ratings stars (when present), the green tick, what looks like a label etc. The tick has appeared on some of my posts and I didn't put it there.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What do all the iPad Forum icons mean?

OK - this thread was started a long time ago but, since then, we've had a very substantial increase in members, so not all of them may know what the various icons mean.

In particular, I'm thinking of :-

(a) the icons that appear to the right and left of a thread title in a list of threads. For example, to the left of a thread title there's often an 'envelope' icon, but one that 'changes' depending on whether you've posted in that thread. And there's the big 'tick' icon that means you're subscribed to that thread. There are also icons that appear to the right of a thread title too.

(b) icons that appear to the left of - or below - a post in a thread - for example for reporting a post to the moderators.

Is there anyone out there who can provide all our members with a comprehensive list of these icons and what they all mean?

I guess that, being a moderator, I should know all of them myself but I have to admit that I don't - so I guess I'll be demoted again....:(

Tim

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nope, they need you too much! Make sure whoever does this, has a website version as well as the app version. I could do with website version because it's a bit complicated to me. Okay before anyone says it, yes, I'm female!

from Somerset UK on my iPad using IPF app

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here you are:

thread_new.gif
Thread with <5 posts
thread_hot_new.gif
Thread with >5 posts
thread_dot_hot.gif
You have posted in the thread
thread_dot_hot_lock.gif
Thread has been locked (closed)
thread_moved.gif
Thread has been moved to another forum
user_online.gif
Member is logged in
user_offline.gif
Member is not logged in, or has chosen to remain "invisible"
Button for reporting bad posts
Thread name in Bold Type - Contains unread posts
Thread name in normal type - All posts marked as read
Takes you to the first unread post in the thread
Takes you to the last post in the thread
sticky.gif
"Sticky" thread (always at the top of the page)
tag.png
Contains keywords linked to search
Contains attachments
subscribed.gif
You are subscribed to the thread
rating_5.gif
The OP likes his thread and wants people to read it
rating_4.gif
Someone has read it and doesn't like it
rating_3.gif
2 people don't like it
rating_2.gif
Hardly anyone likes it
rating_1.gif
It stinks

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What's the difference between the icons for

Threads>5 posts
Threads<5 posts

it must be my age...

Tim

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
What's the difference between the icons for

Threads>5 posts
Threads<5 posts

it must be my age...

Tim

Greater than and less than

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
Ohh...is it the colour (I'm colour blind but I think I can just about detect something there...)

Tim

Grey less
Red greater

Most reactions