1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Switching from my IPad1 to a new IPad2

Discussion in 'iPad 1 Forum' started by June_NM, Aug 20, 2011.

1. June_NM

June_NM iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I want to upgrade to an IPad2 and give my husband my IPad1 that is less than a year old. Can I transfer all my data from my old IPad1 to a new IPad2? It was such a hassle to set up my original IPad that I hate the thought of going through all that again.

Once I do get my new IPad2 set up, how do I erase everything from the IPad1 so I can give my husband a "clean" IPad?
  2. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +120 / 0
    One of our most experienced posters, twerppoet, wrote this...

In iTunes, with your iPad connected, choose you iPad under devices.

Right click on the iPad and do a Backup.

Right click on the iPad and choose Transfer Purchases.

Explore iTunes on the computer and make sure all your media and apps are there.

That will do most of what you need. To be on the safe side, go through any of your apps that store or create documents and make sure you email, or otherwise save them to the computer. Be sure to include the Saved Pictures album in iPhotos.

When you get your new iPad sync it to same account and computer. Right click on the device and choose Restore from Backup. I'm not completely sure of the right sequence in the restore procedure, so you might want to grab the iPad User's Guide. But as long as you did the first part with the old iPad you should bje able to fumble you're way to a complete recovery of all your stuff.

Before you send back your iPad, be sure to Restore it from the main device screen. This will remove all your personal data and set it to the same state you received it in.

Tim
  3. June_NM

June_NM iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ?? "Before you send back your iPad, be sure to Restore it from the main device screen. This will remove all your personal data and set it to the same state you received it in."

I won't be sending IPad1 back but giving it to my husband. So…If I do a "Restore" before passing it on to him, then that will remove all my personal data and settings so he can start fresh?

Thank you so much for the response. For long-time PC folks the IPad can be a bit daunting.
  4. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +120 / 0
    Yes - the original poster wrote this passage in response to someone who was upgrading and was then giving their old iPad to a friend, so wanted to completely wipe it clean before passing it on.

Tim