Switching from iPad Pro 12.9 to 9.7

Discussion in 'iPad Pro Forum' started by Junior, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Junior

Junior
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Previous to buying my iPad pro 12.9 when it launched last year. I was an iPad Air 1 guy. Shortly after buying the larger iPad I sold the Air.

Now a year later, I find myself not using the 12.9 as often as I thought I would. I also own a 12" MacBook so for any work related portable computing I'm covered with my MacBook, but around the house I like having the iPad to toy around.

For the last 6 months, I find myself using my 2 year old iPad Mini and lately have started thinking about dumping this large iPad for a more comfortable iPad Pro 9.7.

I'd like to hear thoughts on what the community thinks about this switch? Is it step backwards? Am I going to notice a huge difference from 4 GB ram down to 2? Other than the obvious size difference, what else should I consider?

I terms of my uses for the iPad, it will mainly be used for pleasure, not business. I have a MacBook for that stuff already. Something to use around the house, browse from the couch and play games. The ability to open docs and spreadsheets is a bonus. Not really going to be editing/creating videos on my iPad anyway, so that's a non feature for me.

I also use my current iPad Pro with DJ mixing apps and like the screen real estate. It's not a main use, but tinker with this music app every now and then.

Any thoughts and insight would be great.

#1 Junior, Oct 7, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  2. Jupiter7

Jupiter7
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    This is just a small thing, but when I tried out both sizes of Pro, the Pencil seemed to work more smoothly on the 12". Even so, taking all things into consideration I personally would choose the 9.7" for the sheer portability and convenience of holding in one hand.

3. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    I got the 12.9 before the 9.7 Pro was available. I got it mostly for the Pencil, but also because I was having trouble with my iMac. When I got it, I turned off the iMac for a few weeks to test how well I could get by without a desktop computer. By the end of the first week I didn't even reach for the iMac's keyboard when I wanted to do something. Even now, after I got the iMac working again, I almost never reach for it. It just sits there keeping all my stuff backed up.

That said, the 12.9 iPad Pro is only slightly more convinient to carry around than a laptopand it spends a great deal of it's time attached to the keyboard , even when I dont' need it; moslty because it's more awkward to hold for long periods. If it had not become my main computer I'd probably be looking to move back to the 9.7 iPad Pro. As it is, I'm not even considering it.

The iMac (a 2009) is nearing the end of it's usefulness, so the iPad is likely to end up my only computer (besides the iPhone. Every computer is a compromise of some sort, and it looks like the 12.9 iPad Pro is the best compromise for me, for now; though I do occationally think of adding a wi-if only iPad Mini for reading and other content consumption.

4. Junior

Junior
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Great points on both accounts.

Holding the iPad Pro 12 for extended periods of time does feel cumbersome. When it actually does get used, it's always attached the keyboard so that's a great point. I might have jumped on this one too quick when it was released and not considered it's intended use. It's not replacing a desktop or even a laptop for me, it's meant to be a leisure use device.

A 9.7 might be the way to go.

5. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    I'd still go with the 9.7" Pro, not the Air. I love the Pencil, not only as a productivity device, but also a leisure device. I love to doodle; whether it's a drawing app or just colorbook app. I also use it to take quick phone message notes at the office, so I can refer to them later if needed. Beats post-it notes.

But that, of course, depends on whether you have any use for a Pencil. If not, the Air 2 is certainly cheaper.

On the other hand, if you're not in a hurry there will probably be new iPads out sometime in the spring. I suspect the new models will offer you some interesting choices. Then again, six month is a significant wait.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  6. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Agreed, with the 9.7" iPad Pro you're getting a new design but with the iPad Air 2 you've got a 2 year old design without the newest features exclusive to the Pro line, such as the Pencil and the Smart Keyboard.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Hawker800

Hawker800
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I went with the 9.7 awhile back. No complaints.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

8. Jupiter7

Jupiter7
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I think I might try and get a Pro 9.7 in the Black Friday sales.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. Junior

Junior
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    The wait for another line is actually what I was considering last night. Why jump on board right now, when I can wait it out until the spring for a refresh. Thanks for the feedback.

10. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    No problem.