What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SVG support?

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Does iOS support .svg?

my experiments with Coda, an IDE, suggest no, or at least Coda doesn’t. I have Bez, an iOS vector app that can produce .svg

Anyone know? Seems a durn shame that modern apps/OSs might not support such a great format.

thanks

OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
is there a known reason ios doesn’t (can’t?) support svg?

thank you for the link!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Likely because Apple won't allow it.

Obviously Apple allows SVG, since there are thrid party apps. That Apple has not built the support into iOS just means it’s not something they have an interest in, or that it’s very low on their list of things to do. Or, they consider third party developers to be an acceptable solution.

Could also have something to do with how it’s licensed.

Keep in mind that Apple doesn’t make any iOS apps that would benifit from SVG support. Well not much. I suppose the ability to import SVG images would benift some apps, but SVG is not the most common format for image libraries, and even when it is included the library almost always have PNG, and PDF compatible formats as well.

Don’t get me wrong, I love that SVG exists, but it’s not really an image asset format. It’s an open format meant to free creators from reliance on propriatary vector fomat’s and programs like Adobe’s. Apple doesn’t have any professional level vector drawing apps, so they probably don’t spend a lot of time worrying about integrating SVG (or other professional vector formats) into iOS.

Note: Came back to fix a typo, and added two paragraphs. Oops.

Last edited:
OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
licensing..ok..the ipad is positioned as a professional tool, and I agree that it is. svg support seems consistent with the pro agenda, and yet, the format really hasn’t taken off regardless of platform...

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, the licensing is just speculation. While SVG is open, that’s not the same as ‘anyone can use the code’. Many open licences have restrictions on who can use something for free, and most often they are more restrictive the bigger the company is that want to use it. I don’t know. I just threw it out there, because there have been apps removed from the App Store because of open license issues (counter intuitive as that sounds). And that’s just an app. I imagine some licenses get even more restrictive when it comes to building the code into an OS.

More likely, it’s just that Apple considers the ability of third party apps to support SVG as sufficient. I have three vector graphics apps that support SVG. This lets me move projects around, and realy, that’s all SVG was designed for; a open format that lets you move vector graphic projects between apps and platforms. It’s got no benifits over other formats when it comes to end user image assets and libraries.

As for it not taking off? Well, being open is not a ticket to instant success. Sometimes open wins, and sometimes it doesn’t. More often it sticks around as an alternative for those willing to trade a little extra work in order to avoid paying the big guy’s on the block.

Most reactions

Latest posts