What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Surprises in Apple's financial report

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple did even better than predicted in the last quarter. One surprise was that sales of the iPhone were through the roof. Despite Verizon selling the iPhone, AT&T actually increased the number of new subscribers. The iPhone holds a 60% share of their smartphone customer base. iPad sales took a nose dive, which is surprising until you realize that it was the last ten weeks of the iPad after the holiday spree, and only the first two weeks of the iPad 2.

Computer sales were also at new highs. In some areas, their computers are seeing up to 75% growth, and America saw 25% growth. Most of the strength there was in their laptop sales as usual. The next quarter may see growth with the desktops since they are due for an upgrade.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple did even better than predicted in the last quarter.
Despite this fact, there will be no shortage of posts here and on other forums complaining about how Steve Jobs just doesn't "get it".

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Alternative said:
He can't understand what the consumer wants, Scott! He still hasn't put FLASH on any of his #$%^& devices.... :D

Yes, just think about the size of Apple's market share if they did support Flash...

Catfiend

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tzimisce said:
Yes, just think about the size of Apple's market share if they did support Flash...

Probably about what it is now given that they can hardly keep up with current quantity demanded. There might be more *potential* customers but it's unlikely that there'd be that they'd have that many more actual customers.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
does he know exactly what we want? does it matter? their figures speak for themselves.
doesn't matter whichever way you're looking at it, pro or anti Apple, they're getting it right to the tune of billions and the lion's chunk of the market.

besides, i dont want Flash.

Last edited:

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The anti-apple brigade would only find something else to complain about.....

nasomi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The anti-apple brigade would only find something else to complain about.....
Damned strait. I can't stand the machines! No right click, the UI hasn't seen an update since 1999. I moved to PC in 2001 to a clunky xp, which became familiar after a while, to vista, to win7, and wow, it's come such a long way! Then I got the mini a few months ago with snow leopard, and said "wow, the same shit i used 12 years ago..." There have been no ui improvements in os x! So I continue to use win7, and have a couple expensive paperweights. I like the UI of the ipad, it's definitely revolutionary, however if it's the same UI in 12 years, you won't see me still on it. Win7, aero, glass, just looks so much nicer. PC oriented tablets will follow for sure. If apple doesn't keep up with the curve, they'll lose plenty of customers. I'm not a die hard fan, I'm a realist, I go with whatever is best at what it does at any given time. I hold no loyalty.

/rant

Ingoiolo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am a fairly consistent critic of their commercial policies... But I am also a happy shareholder :)

Sent from my 64GB 3G iPad using iPF

OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PC Magazine had a vote on the five most significant technology leaps. The readers voted, and this is a mostly PC venue. Three of the top five were Apple products. The original Mac the most significant computer (followed by the Apple II). The iPod was the most significant consumer device. And the iPhone was the most significant mobile device. Windows 3.1 barely beat the Mac OS as the most significant software. The only category Apple was not dominant was gaming devices. Steve Jobs must be having a fit that he missed one.

They announce that RIM has sold 50,000 PlayBooks, beating the Xoom and Galaxy Tab. They hope to sell 500,000 in the first quarter. Apple sold more iPads than that in the first
weekend. And half of the PlayBooks were pre sold, meaning they were bought on faith before anyone got their hands on it.

Most reactions

Latest posts