What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

surprise behaviour (Skype)

osborneuk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have skype installed on my ipad2. with the ipad turned off (top button pressed lightly) an incoming skype call rings. should I have expected that?

OP
O

osborneuk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sjleworthy said:
Yes.

Lightly pressing the top button is only sending your device to sleep. To standby. It's still on and apps still operate in the background.

I think i'll change my status from 'noob' to 'thick noob'! Thanks

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sjleworthy said:
Yes.

Lightly pressing the top button is only sending your device to sleep. To standby. It's still on and apps still operate in the background.

I think i'll change my status from 'noob' to 'thick noob'! Thanks

Don't feel so bad about it. I don't think it's that obvious at all - after all, your PC doesn't receive when it's asleep. But it is strangely comforting at night to hear the email arriving sound beep if you have your iPad on the table next to your bed.

Tim

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
But it is strangely comforting at night to hear the email arriving sound beep if you have your iPad on the table next to your bed.

Tim

i agree totally, but because my ipad volume is always on full blast i must keep device in my home office room overnight. too loud otherwise.

but yes, i can just make the sound out at night when i get mail, and i get strangely awfully excited and cant wait for the morning to read it, even though i know it's probably junk mail again.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Something else I wonder about Skype: A Skype call will ring on my phone, iPad 1 or 2, or laptop, but not always the same one, and sometimes on two devices about the same time. But it's not consistent, though I just put all the devices to sleep and don't log off Skype.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
i think it's just the quirkiness of the software. i have skype always running on my 2 desktop pc's, my ipad and my Touch.

all ring at the same time when a call come in, but when i answer with whatever device, not all the other skypes acknowledge this and stop ringing. different combinations happen for whatever skype i answer first.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i think it's just the quirkiness of the software. i have skype always running on my 2 desktop pc's, my ipad and my Touch.

all ring at the same time when a call come in, but when i answer with whatever device, not all the other skypes acknowledge this and stop ringing. different combinations happen for whatever skype i answer first.

Yes, I have the same experience with the other device not acknowledging even if I pick up on one of the others.

SaberOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But it is strangely comforting at night to hear the email arriving sound beep if you have your iPad on the table next to your bed.

Tim

i agree totally, but because my ipad volume is always on full blast i must keep device in my home office room overnight. too loud otherwise.

but yes, i can just make the sound out at night when i get mail, and i get strangely awfully excited and cant wait for the morning to read it, even though i know it's probably junk mail again.

I'm simply not popular enough for that to be a problem...:(

ArrozBasmati

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know this thread was about skype but the thread name is so appropriate for what's happening that I decided to use it anyway :p

So basically, from time to time (like, every other day or every two days) the iPad screen gets crazy and it's like an invisible child is pushing every button on the screen, opening apps and writting giberish on the keyboard (mostly just f's)... When this happens I try to restart it (and I say try because its like fighting over the keyboard with someone) and it starts working fine again :/

I think it might be from the screen cover but its a legitimate iPad 2 screen cover, so I don't really know... Maybe my iPad2 is haunted lol

Also, there's a spot (its more of a stripe than a spot) on the screen that doesn't work very well, for example, if I try moving an app from the 3rd column to the 2nd, it goes back to its initial place halfway....

Last edited:

KaiHD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ArrozBasmati said:
I know this thread was about skype but the thread name is so appropriate for what's happening that I decided to use it anyway :p

So basically, from time to time (like, every other day or every two days) the iPad screen gets crazy and it's like an invisible child is pushing every button on the screen, opening apps and writting giberish on the keyboard (mostly just f's)... When this happens I try to restart it (and I say try because its like fighting over the keyboard with someone) and it starts working fine again :/

I think it might be from the screen cover but its a legitimate iPad 2 screen cover, so I don't really know... Maybe my iPad2 is haunted lol

Also, there's a spot (its more of a stripe than a spot) on the screen that doesn't work very well, for example, if I try moving an app from the 3rd column to the 2nd, it goes back to its initial place halfway....

Sounds serious. Go back to the Apple Store for a replacement.

- Sent from my BRAND-NEW iPad 2! :D

ArrozBasmati

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This pic should show what I mean better:

I outlined the erm... Unsensitive parts of the screen with yellow.

If I try really hard and insist with it, I might be able to paint there but I guess I shouldn't be fighting with the screen :p

I find this really weird and I can't find anyone with a similar problem online (might be my limited search skills)

Attachments

• image-371602183.png
    image-371602183.png
    254.8 KB · Views: 268

Most reactions

Latest posts