Surface RT

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mesii23, Dec 3, 2012.

1. mesii23

mesii23
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I live a pretty Apple centric lifestyle (i5, ipad mini, Apple TV) but I have to say that I am pretty about Microsofts Surface tablets.

Anyone have one, or have any opinions or little know facts. I'm am seriously considering picking up one of these or a Samsung Chromebook and would love to hear some opinions

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

2. Kricke

Kricke
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Hi,

you might want to head over to a Surface forum to get some first hand info.

I do have a surface RT but for my daily usage I prefer my iPad.

Knut

#2 Kricke, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2012
  3. mesii23

mesii23
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the info

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

#3 mesii23, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2012
  4. Good karma

Good karma
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    i want to see and test out a surface tablet just out of curiosity, however no shop in London have them, been to pc world, carphone ware house and several others. have tested a windows 8 laptop and computer at a shop and it was UNIMPRESSIVE

5. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    MS is selling Surfaces only at Microsoft stores (including popup ones for Christmas) and on its website.

I live five minutes from a Microsoft store, and happened to kick the tires on an RT last nite. My time with it was brief because I stopped by just before closing time, but it seemed good during my drive-by testing. It ran smoothly and the interface seemed straightforward. I've considered buying a Surface, but was holding out for the pro model. Plus, I want to see how they sell. I don't want to be stranded with abandoned hardware.

6. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Possible development, though this report is suspect without any clue to the source of the info:

I can’t say too much about this, but within days, Microsoft’s Surface with Windows RT tablets will be available far more broadly than via its current, limited distribution system (i.e., only via Microsoft’s retail and online stores). This was always going to happen in very early 2013, but the software giant has apparently decided to ramp up the speed and make it happen before the holiday selling season is over.

Excerpted from here:

WinInfo Short Takes, December 7, 2012

7. Good karma

Good karma
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Well if microsoft wants to compete with apple, especially it's hardware, then it needs to sort out its retail channels, the way they are right now they will never catch up with apple. I tried to look for a ms surface to try out and I along with many would never buy on the web something we never seen.

8. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Agree that distribution needs widening if they want to move more units. But it was announced from the start that sales would be limited to MS stores and its website, so you wasted effort looking for it.

Personally, I buy lots of electronics that I've never tested in person. It just depends on how serious I am about a product. I return stuff if it doesn't work out.

Having brick and mortar stores to test drive stuff will be increasingly limited at the rate that things are going; people like to try in stores and then often buy cheaper online, as stores like Best Buy have noticed. If you like brick and mortar, best support that model financially. For people like me, who buy mostly online, disappearing stores isn't as big a prob.

9. AdmiralAdama

AdmiralAdama
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If a "Surface" is in your future - it may be worth waiting for the "Windows 8 Pro" device. The RT device has limitations that may be objectionable to many users.
    RT doesn't support legacy applications. It can run only apps that are preinstalled by Microsoft or downloaded from the limited Windows Store.
    There's no Facebook, no Twitter, no LinkedIn.

AA

Sent from my iPad using iPF

10. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Yes, that's why I was holding out for the pro version. Though no FB, Twitter or LinkedIn would not bother me a bit, lol.