What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Super clean restore.

iPadStylee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm new to the world of JB, but I followed this excellent tutorial and managed to get it working first time. My question is, how can I 'unjailbreak' it such that there is absolutely no trace of it being jailbroken? I'm sure I can do a restore, but I heard there may be diagnostic traces of jailbreak still present and if Apple check it, the warranty would remain void. Is there a way to completely clean the system? Thanks for any help!
(I'm using an iPad 1 running 4.3.5)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The best way to complete clean the iPad is simply to restore it back to stock and put a "fresh" version of iOS 4.3.5 on it.

Oh, and then do NOT choose "restore from backup" when reinitializing it. Some tweaks do put various bits into the iTunes backup. If someone got curious enough, I'm sure they could find something.

Of course, you'd have to put on all your stock apps, contact info, etc. back onto it (because without the backup - it's as if it came fresh out of the box).

To recap: Restore the iPad from new with iOS 5 and all traces of the jailbreak will be gone.

Hope that helps.

Marilyn

OP
I

iPadStylee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Marilyn. I didn't personally create any backups before anyway, but I assume redsn0w might've done something. To put the fresh version on, do I simply go to iTunes and click on 'Restore' (and not from backup)? Or do I need to somehow install the '4.3.5' ipsw file manually?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A restore will leave nothing behind which can be used by Apple store employees to determine if you have ever been jailbroken in the past.

To restore a JB device it is normally advisable to put it into DFU mode first, then start iTunes and press "restore". We have a tutorial sticky on DFU mode if you get stuck and need help, but hopefully you will never need it...

goldastreats

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately I didn't read your comments before I unsuccessfully tried to restore my iPad 2 cis iTunes... Now my iPod is stuck in a mode that shows on the screen a usb cord and iTunes logo. I have tried again to use restore on iTunes and now I am in a loop ... I have an appointment at the genius bar today to have Apple restore. Can i so anything myself at this point besides the Apple Store?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I didn't read your comments before I unsuccessfully tried to restore my iPad 2 cis iTunes... Now my iPod is stuck in a mode that shows on the screen a usb cord and iTunes logo. I have tried again to use restore on iTunes and now I am in a loop ... I have an appointment at the genius bar today to have Apple restore. Can i so anything myself at this point besides the Apple Store?

If you follow all the steps here you should get it restored OK - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...lsafe-method-restore-current-version-ios.html

The main one to try first is to use DFU mode...

Most reactions

Latest posts