What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suggestions please for Samsung phone photo files DIRECT to IPad

Dusker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Need to be able to get photos from Samsung S3 to IPad Air without use of computer or laptop whilst travelling. Was told IPad would recognize if in DCIM folder but not so. Have seen couple of options for apps for transfer by WIFI. Has anyone any suggestions or recommendations please. Would prefer to do by cable, am I missing something? Cheers. Dusker

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Need to be able to get photos from Samsung S3 to IPad Air without use of computer or laptop whilst travelling. Was told IPad would recognize if in DCIM folder but not so. Have seen couple of options for apps for transfer by WIFI. Has anyone any suggestions or recommendations please. Would prefer to do by cable, am I missing something? Cheers. Dusker
The easiest way would be to install Dropbox on both devices, enable "Camera Upload" on the S3, which will load the photos to Dropbox automatically when connected to Wi-Fi (or even without, if you enabled it - that will take a very long time to load) and then load the pictures to the iPad Camera Roll.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Dusker! Dropbox is multi platform so you should be able to upload your photos from your Galaxy and then download them on your iPad......sorry haven't done it myself, I have an iPhone but it should be a good way to go.

Hopefully others will chime in who have an android phone and an iPad!

Good luck!

Edit......a tad late by the looks, I really should refresh my page more!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I suppose it is possible, just barely, that if you connected a Samsung phone to an iPad using the Camera Connection Kit (CCK) it 'might' see the Samsung as a camera and import the photos. It's a long shot, and no way to tell without trying. I used to be able to do this between the iPhone and iPad, but have since misplaced my kit, and upgraded to the lightning connector, so I have not way to test if this old trick still works.

Otherwise the DropBox solution is probably the cleanest.

There was also the Bump app that was supposed to be available on both the iPhone and Android. If it is still around it might work.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just tried it: when you connect your S3 to the Air with the Lightning to USB camera adapter and the S3 charging cable, you'll first get this:

image-4032552039.jpg

Then go to your S3 and pull down the screen. You have two options:

image-560271183.jpg

Sorry for the bad quality of the picture. It's in German, but you should be able to see the general direction.
If you choose the option below (Camera), the Android will be recognized and start importing.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
OP
Dusker

Dusker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh dear I am feeling like a complete ???? I can not find the menu setting USB - PC on my S3. Have even checked under the Developer Options. Johanna I feel as though I have failed your excellent instructions :eek: Can you perhaps lead me a little more imagining me as a poor old lady of many years. I simply dont seem to be able to locate the selection. My phone is set for automatic updates so it should not be that I am missing anything? I think? As for Drop Box I have hit a wall there as well. Going into the Apple store in Adelaide tomorrow as having trouble with downloading apps at the moment. Tsk tsk.
Your help as usual thankfully accepted
Dusker

ps added picture of my dog to sweeten my request

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh dear I am feeling like a complete ???? I can not find the menu setting USB - PC on my S3. Have even checked under the Developer Options. Johanna I feel as though I have failed your excellent instructions :eek: Can you perhaps lead me a little more imagining me as a poor old lady of many years. I simply dont seem to be able to locate the selection. My phone is set for automatic updates so it should not be that I am missing anything? I think? As for Drop Box I have hit a wall there as well. Going into the Apple store in Adelaide tomorrow as having trouble with downloading apps at the moment. Tsk tsk. Your help as usual thankfully accepted Dusker ps added picture of my dog to sweeten my request
When your S3 is plugged into your iPad, then slide down on the S3 from the top. When you want to look at your Settings on the Android phone, that's a shortcut you'd use to look at them. This time it should show you the USB connection with your iPad. Tap it and you'll see the screen I posted.
Mine is set up for automatic updates as well. There shouldn't be a problem.

I'll add pictures as soon as possible.

If you can't download apps:
Go to App Store - Featured. Scroll down to your Apple ID and sign out. Then sign in, choose "Use Exisiting Apple ID". When your ID is there again, force close the app: double tap the Home button to reveal the multitask bar, then slide the pictures above the app icons towards the top of the screen. Open the App Store again and try to download an App.

Last edited:

cecilrwilliams

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use I the app Transfer, works great on iPhone, iPad and free download to computer. Have not tried it on Samsung.

Most reactions

Latest posts