What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suggestion

jcherepy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe that there is a need for a sticky for how one can change ownership of an iPad. I, for one, don't know how this is done and I'm sure that as folks buy the 2 this question will reoccur. I called Apple and their robot kept sending me to tech support where all they wanted to do was sell me their protection plan. I plan on buying the 2 and giving the 1 to my grown daughter.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Probably the easiest way is during a sync operation, where you have the option to remove everything from the iPad. twerppoet, our resident iTunes sync genius, has posted about doing this previously, so I hope he reads this and can give you explicit instructions. I'm not clever enough to work out how to use iTunes on my PC - or too scared!!

Tim
Scotland

OP
jcherepy

jcherepy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Probably the easiest way is during a sync operation, where you have the option to remove everything from the iPad. twerppoet, our resident iTunes sync genius, has posted about doing this previously, so I hope he reads this and can give you explicit instructions. I'm not clever enough to work out how to use iTunes on my PC - or too scared!!

Using iTunes to restore the iPad does not remove the registration info. I went by the Apple store today and asked them and I received three different answers.

The first person suggested I do what you suggested and he said the iPad would still be registered in my name. I asked what if I sold it to a stranger and didn't want it to continue to be registered in my name? He didn't know, but we went and asked at the Genius Bar and the "Genius" said, "Apple Care" and walked away. I have to buy Apple Care just to change registration???

The third person said, "Do it through your computer" and couldn't tell me much more than that.

So much for Apple Customer no Service.

OP
jcherepy

jcherepy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It just so happens I was reading this thread, see link, from twertpoet. Not specifically address your problem, but it might give you a hint:

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/20185-upgrading-ipad.html

I have already done a backup and restore for other issues and that does NOT unregister the device. You can do backup and restore multiple times and you still won't have to register the device each time.

Thanks for the reply.

Reaction score
In order to register/reregister a device, the new owner has to do one of the following, all of which involve contacting Apple:

-visit an Apple Store
-call Apple
-go to register.apple.com sign in with their Apple ID and then add the device with serial number to their account

pastorsteve

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You change "ownership" by giving or selling it to someone. Apple doesn't care who owns it.

Plus if you read below, if you change registration or owner information through Apple, you end the warranty. It's only good for the original end-user. So all you do is end her warranty if you change it. If you want to do her a solid, buy the Apple Care warranty extension and give her that with the iPad.

WARRANTY. Apple’s warranty obligations for this hardware product are limited to the terms set
forth herein. Apple, as defined in the table below, warrants this Apple-branded hardware product
against defects in materials and workmanship under normal use for a period of ONE (1) YEAR
from the date of retail purchase by the original end-user purchaser (“Warranty Periodâ€).

Reaction score
pastorsteve said:
You change "ownership" by giving or selling it to someone. Apple doesn't care who owns it.

Plus if you read below, if you change registration or owner information through Apple, you end the warranty. It's only good for the original end-user. So all you do is end her warranty if you change it. If you want to do her a solid, buy the Apple Care warranty extension and give her that with the iPad.

WARRANTY. Apple’s warranty obligations for this hardware product are limited to the terms set
forth herein. Apple, as defined in the table below, warrants this Apple-branded hardware product
against defects in materials and workmanship under normal use for a period of ONE (1) YEAR
from the date of retail purchase by the original end-user purchaser (“Warranty Period”).

That is not correct.

From the Apple FAQ:

Is the AppleCare Protection Plan transferable?
Yes. If you choose to sell or give away your Apple product, you can also transfer the ownership of the AppleCare Protection Plan.

http://www.apple.com/support/products/faqs.html

Most reactions