What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

suggestion to appease iPad 3 owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennlynn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been trying to start a discussion about a suggestion I had for appeasing iPad 3 owners. Unfortunately, I am unable to sign in to the Apple discussion groups for some reason (my Apple ID/password combo aren't working for an "unknown error"). Maybe I can get it out here (I've also sent it to a few other tech sites.). Yesterday I spent 45 minutes on the phone with Apple talking to six agents - NOT ONE of whom could tell me who was in charge of Apple Canada (where I live) or how to contact them via email. For what it's worth the last one - a customer relations supervisor - did give me a case number and said she thought it was a good idea. Here is an excerpt from the letter I wrote Apple on Wednesday. (So far no answer.) :

"yesterday I suggested a plan allowing iPad 3 owners to upgrade to the 4th generation for a nominal fee (50/100$ for wifi/3G respectively). You would still make money from the upgrade fees, as well as selling the previous units as refurbs.

"But today I came up with an even better idea for the trade-ins. Instead of selling them as refurbs, why not donate them to underprivileged schools/community organisations that would never be able to afford iPads. You would generate an incredible amount of positive PR. You would probably also benefit from significant tax benefits for charitable donations. (Of course upgrading would be entirely optional, but to me it would be a win-win that leaves everybody feeling good about Apple as a company instead of cheated.)

"Hope my suggestion is considered, that I hear from you tomorrow, and that Apple isn't just another big business but really does care both about its customers and about making the world a little bit better.
Thanks for listening,
Sincerely,
Jennifer ******
Quebec, Canada"

So how about it people. Would you be willing to pay a certain amount to upgrade, knowing your iPad 3 would be going to a good cause? Maybe we can really get the ball rolling in a positive way for everybody.

Squirrel71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it's a great idea. But, they'll never go for it. They're too aware that there are plenty of people who will upgrade at full price..I used to be one of them, lol.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
[QUOTE=Jennlynn;7012(Of course upgrading would be entirely optional, but to me it would be a win-win that leaves everybody feeling good about Apple as a company instead of cheated.)[/QUOTE OK try again

Last edited:

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
[QUOTE=Jennlynn;7012(Of course upgrading would be entirely optional, but to me it would be a win-win that leaves everybody feeling good about Apple as a company instead of cheated.)[/QUOTE

The thing is Jennlynn that you would need to get people on board who feel "cheated". I for one don't, as I love my still fairly new iPad and on a cost/benefit basis see no reason to "upgrade" or the need for "appeasement"
Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No matter when a device is superseded, there will always be people who bought the device just before the new and improved model was released. Those people may also feel cheated and want Apple to do something about it.

RebornProphet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the only thing we as iPad 3 owners could get would be an App Store credit, and even then I don't see it happening. A lot of people have mentioned that Steve issued $100 credits to iPhone early adopters who were hit by the $200 price drop of the 8GB model after two months on sale. This was far easier to organise, regardless of the money going back to Apple's bank account, given that only US customers had been affected (as iPhone was only available there at the time).

The iPad 3 has been available worldwide for almost 7 months, and while I don't use the term "discontinued" (the 4th Gen is nothing but the 3rd Gen with a new chip, camera, and charge port ... same weight, same thickness, same design, same panel technology, etc), Apple won't dish out $100/£70 credits for the App Store to every iPad 3 customer on a worldwide basis.

We still have a very much cutting edge tablet. Enjoy it today, you could be dead tomorrow.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I bet if Apple simply had not called it "4th Generation" in the presentation and just said this is the an update for 2012, then there would be a lot less noise on the issue. They just created a big mess with the "new iPad" thing and this is an unfortunate offspring of that (compounded by "4th"). People follow every little thing they do and say, so they need to be very, very careful of what they say in these presentations. They need to get a lot smarter about how they present to the public.

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
Jennlynn said:
I've been trying to start a discussion about a suggestion I had for appeasing iPad 3 owners. Unfortunately, I am unable to sign in to the Apple discussion groups for some reason (my Apple ID/password combo aren't working for an "unknown error"). Maybe I can get it out here (I've also sent it to a few other tech sites.). Yesterday I spent 45 minutes on the phone with Apple talking to six agents - NOT ONE of whom could tell me who was in charge of Apple Canada (where I live) or how to contact them via email. For what it's worth the last one - a customer relations supervisor - did give me a case number and said she thought it was a good idea. Here is an excerpt from the letter I wrote Apple on Wednesday. (So far no answer.) :

"yesterday I suggested a plan allowing iPad 3 owners to upgrade to the 4th generation for a nominal fee (50/100$ for wifi/3G respectively). You would still make money from the upgrade fees, as well as selling the previous units as refurbs.

"But today I came up with an even better idea for the trade-ins. Instead of selling them as refurbs, why not donate them to underprivileged schools/community organisations that would never be able to afford iPads. You would generate an incredible amount of positive PR. You would probably also benefit from significant tax benefits for charitable donations. (Of course upgrading would be entirely optional, but to me it would be a win-win that leaves everybody feeling good about Apple as a company instead of cheated.)

"Hope my suggestion is considered, that I hear from you tomorrow, and that Apple isn't just another big business but really does care both about its customers and about making the world a little bit better.
Thanks for listening,
Sincerely,
Jennifer ******
Quebec, Canada"

So how about it people. Would you be willing to pay a certain amount to upgrade, knowing your iPad 3 would be going to a good cause? Maybe we can really get the ball rolling in a positive way for everybody.

Hello,

Welcome to iPF.
We are a forum dedicated to advancing the discussion of iOS and the devices it powers, specifically, various generations of the iPad.

iPF is not affiliated with Apple Incorporated.

Additionally, there isn't a corporate level of Apple in Canada, which can address your issues.
You should contact Apple Incorporated in the United States.

Apple Computer Corporate Office
1 Infinite Loop
Cupertino, CA 95014
Corporate Phone Number: 1-408-996-1010
Corporate Fax Number: 1-408-996-0275
Corporate Email: [email protected]
Corporate Stock Symbol: AAPL

Your question / suggestions would be best directed to Apple Consumer Relations.

I hope this satisfies the issues raised in your post.

This thread is now closed.

Adama
iPF Moderator

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts