What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sugar sync vs. dropbox

strutter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Which one do you prefer and why? The main reason for me using an external storage is to sync files with pdf expert and computer for school. I am currently using dropbox, but would consider a change for a new file storage app. I am also looking for something simple and easy to use. Nothing too complex.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 247820

Sugar Sync is more restrictive (bucket size) than Dropbox. I'm referring to the free versions, not paid.
The only gripe I have with Dropbox is it is painfully slow, but it allows huge files to be uploaded.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I prefer Box, but use both it and DropBox. DropBox for quick and easy stuff that I may want to share file by file. Box for longer term storage and if I want to maintain folders of sharable content.

Box has the advantage of having slightly better integration with Apple's iWorks apps, via the WebDAV save/share options, so I also use it to backup up any iWorks documents I don't care to lose.

Box does have a max 250MB file size limit, unless you go for a paid account.

I've never had a reason to try SugarSync.

D

Deleted member 247820

I prefer Box, but use both it and DropBox. DropBox for quick and easy stuff that I may want to share file by file. Box for longer term storage and if I want to maintain folders of sharable content. Box has the advantage of having slightly better integration with Apple's iWorks apps, via the WebDAV save/share options, so I also use it to backup up any iWorks documents I don't care to lose. Box does have a max 250MB file size limit, unless you go for a paid account. I've never had a reason to try SugarSync.
Hi T Poet.
Thanks for the note about "Box" I was going to try it until I saw you mention the file size. Too small for me.
So. Drop box still seems the best bet. (At least for me, for now).

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem.

I got in on one of their promotions a year or so back, so I have 50GB of storage from them, at the free price. Not that I'll every use that much. I don't keep huge files in the cloud, so it works for me.

D

Deleted member 247820

No problem. I got in on one of their promotions a year or so back, so I have 50GB of storage from them, at the free price. Not that I'll every use that much. I don't keep huge files in the cloud, so it works for me.
Hi T Poet.
You are a lucky man.
I would kiss an auntie for that storage!

mesue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
geekintheforest.com
Why choose one or the other? I use both for different things, along with Copy and Box.

One thing I like about SugarSync is that you can add things to it without moving them on your computer. In other words, Dropbox can only be one folder (with subfolders); Sugarsync can include any folders, wherever they reside without moving things.

What's nice about Copy is that they don't deduct the whole size of shared folders from your space allotment. So if you use a lot of shared folders, this is a better option.

mfldmike

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like box.com

I have 100GB of storage with a 5GB limit and it's classified as a "personal" account without any charges...free. I've been with them for a few years, and never lost any data.

Most reactions

Latest posts