What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suddenly I don't stay logged in

allanrube

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.nebirds.com
until 2 days ago I stayed logged in on the several forums I belong to that have check boxes allowing me to do so. But suddenly each day I must enter my user name and password each day, on this forum and several others.
I have an iPad pro. Is there a setting I inadvertently changed? Any other ideas?
TIA.

OP
allanrube

allanrube

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.nebirds.com
No answers so I will tell you what I have found out so far through an Apple chat. If I switch to Chrome the problem goes away.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
To expand on eddieg's response.

When Safari is in Private Browsing mode it does not save any information from session to session (like log-in information). You can tell if Safair is in Private Browsing mode by the color of the tool bar. Dark grey with white text/icons.

To turn off Private Browsing tap the double square icon at the top right, then tap Private (so that it is not highlighted).

The other possibility is that you've somehow changed your Safari settings. Go to Settings > Safari > Block Cookies. The best compromise between security and usability is "Allow form Current Website Only". "Always Block" will prevent the saving of any log-in credentials, and several other website features than need to store data on your iPad in order to work.

By the way, Chrome also has a Private mode. They call it Incognito, and it has a similar effect on what the browser remembers.

OP
allanrube

allanrube

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.nebirds.com
The solution was so simple. Yes, I somehow turned on private browsing. I don't know how, I did not know how to turn it off before reading what twerppoet wrote.

But before this I spent about 40 minutes with apple support chat. When I left the chat I followed the suggestion to back up my iPad, restore it as a new iPad and see if Safari would work correctly. If so, I could then restore my backup. Well, it did not work correctly when I set it up as a new iPad so I backed it up and was going to continue my chat.

Now that I turned off private browsing I still wonder why it defaulted to private even when I did a restore (without backup.)

Thanks for the help. You are better than Apple. I will contact chat tomorrow and inform them of the solution and how their suggestions cost be a lot of time.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes, well if you are talking about the forums on the Apple site, they are not Apple Tech support, just (mostly) users like you and me. Sometimes they get the right answer, and sometimes we do. And sometimes no-one does.

If you are talking about actual Apple Tech support chat (paid unless you have AppleCare or are within 90 days of your purchase), I'm a bit surprised they went straight to restoring the iPad. Yes, that almost always fixes whatever is wrong, but it's also kind of extreme for most issues.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Apple tech is I bought my iPad Pro within last 90 days.

Oh. Then I am somewhat disappointed in their response. I understand the nuke it all and start over method, but don't really approve.

If for no other reason, even if it had worked you would not have learned how to avoid the problem in the future.

Most reactions

Latest posts