Sudden strange behavior, like possible malware

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Ed1944, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Ed1944

Ed1944
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    My new iPad has been working very well until yesterday. For no apparent reason I was seeing oriental writing (possibly Korean) showing up on most websites when using Safari. Occasionally I would see tik tok mentioned in English along with the oriental characters. I’ve never had anything to do with tik tok. In addition, all my bookmarks were erased.

In desperation, I performed a reset, which seemed to help, but not 100%. This morning, I turned on my iPad and went to Safari and found my bookmarks restored. However, I’m still having some issues with the oriental writing showing up. Any ideas about what I should do? Thanks. Ed

2. Aerofly

Aerofly
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    If you have a recent full backup I would consider a full reset and reload with a known backup. If you don’t have a backup, then unfortunately you may have to reset to factory default and start again.

3. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    What does your built in keyboard look like? Did that change as well? In that case, go to Settings - General - Language and Region, and change the iPad Language back to English.

Another feature, just for the browser (Safari), would be in Settings - Safari - Language. If English is not set as default language (the one with the checkmark), select it.

4. Ed44

Ed44
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the replies. I'm on my Windows device right now, but I'll get back to my iPad later