What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Substitutes for camera connection kit

alexh110

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I would like to connect my MIDI piano to my iPad 2 for use with the Music Studio app.
Rather than buy the expensive camera connection kit, I wondered whether I can use the standard iPad charging cable coupled to a cheap female-to-female USB widget?
I can then connect my MIDI cable to the other side of the widget, at least in theory.

Can anyone advise whether this will work? I'm not sure whether the camera connection kit is simply designed to allow male USB plugs to be connected to the iPad; or whether it does something more sophisticated? In other words is the camera connection kit simply a widget to connect male USB to the standard Apple port connector?
(N.B. I know the kit also includes a card reader for digital cameras; but obviously this is of no interest to me for MIDI connection.)

Also, is there a reasonably priced lead/adapter to connect MIDI DIN devices with the iPad? (I tried using my PC MIDI to USB adapter; but it doesn't work with the iPad.)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't use any of this, but I know it is possible. A quick Google for MIDI iPad connector will turn up lots of results.

iRig was a top hit, and I know from blogs, reviews, and such that the iRig family of gadgets have a good reputation.

Good luck.

OP
A

alexh110

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, I've found the iRig. It's about 15 times the price of the MIDI to PC lead: so not especially cheap! May just have to swallow it though.

I don't really get why anyone would want to buy the Camera Connection Kit, when they could achieve the same thing with a USB gender-changing widget, attached to the standard Apple port to USB cable that comes with your iPad? Unless I'm missing something here?

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It probably has something to do with iOS only recognizing USB devices as mass storage, not I/O. I guess it requires some extra hardware to fool it into thinking your keyboard is a camera's memory card.

This post handcrafted from 100 percent post-consumer recycled electrons.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There is no reason to purchase the Camera Connection Kit (CCK) for what you want to do.

The main reason people get the CCK is if it does not do what it's advertised to do, you can complain and hope to get help. Otherwise, all Apple support is going to say is, 'it's not supported'. And all the CCK is advertised to do is get your pictures from the camera to the iPad. Any other use, whether it works or not, is at your own risk.

The CCK is not necessary to connect USB to the iPad, but many/most peripherals are not supported.. In most of those cases it simply tells you that the device is not supported. In others it's a matter of how much power the USB device requires. The iPad will supply very little power to an attached device. This causes most media card readers to fail. It could also affect MIDI devices that are not made specifically for the iPad. The only way to find out is to try, or check to see if someone else has tried before.

OP
A

alexh110

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks that's useful to know. I guess that's why my MIDI to PC lead failed. It must need to draw too much power from the USB connector.

I don't think handling I/O is a problem on the lead supplied with the iPad, since it's designed to send data in both directions when syncing with iTunes on your desktop/laptop. So I would guess you should be able to get photos from your camera to the iPad using a USB gender-changing widget, without the need for the CCK.
Would be interested to know if anyone here has actually tried this?

Most reactions