What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Substitue for rain-alarm

OP
I

islandman

Islandman. The storm app is by Wunderland. The icon looks like a lightning bold.

Weatherpro costs, but I have found it well worth it. I use it often each day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, the lightening is in red/yellow/blue, sort of like a sharp S or as you say, on a black background. What I was going to say, is that it's quite sensitive so anything slight touch, and more information shoots up the screen. Is this the same as yours?

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes. As well as graphic radar tapping the forecast at the base of the screen scrolls up masses of information any of which which you can tap to get more or view as graphs by tapping the squiggly line half way down. Swipe the info down to get back to the map. At the right side of the map you can choose map overlays. In fact almost everything is tappable - if there is such a word. Enjoy.

OP
I

islandman

Yes. As well as graphic radar tapping the forecast at the base of the screen scrolls up masses of information any of which which you can tap to get more or view as graphs by tapping the squiggly line half way down. Swipe the info down to get back to the map. At the right side of the map you can choose map overlays. In fact almost everything is tappable - if there is such a word. Enjoy.

I looked at overlays and have one that shows towns/cities just to get my bearings a little.

Have you had your ipad long? mine is about six months old and I seem to be using it a great deal, even though the laptop is on.

Just created folders on home page and naming them to make space, but rather than placing nine in each one, keep it to eight, otherwise it turns over and there is a chance I'd forget what was on the reverse.

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Started with iPad 2, now iPad 2 Air. I keep a record of usage and it averages 5 hours per day.

I use the main screen for folders containing app I frequently use, often more than 9 per folder, so I have to swipe right to left to get each page of 9. Some of my folders are sport, weather, office apps, shopping, tv, newspapers and so on. I keep subsequent screens for less often used apps.

OP
I

islandman

Started with iPad 2, now iPad 2 Air. I keep a record of usage and it averages 5 hours per day.

I use the main screen for folders containing app I frequently use, often more than 9 per folder, so I have to swipe right to left to get each page of 9. Some of my folders are sport, weather, office apps, shopping, tv, newspapers and so on. I keep subsequent screens for less often used apps.

OP
I

islandman

Can I get back to you with a couple of things about this STORM app please.

I have noticed that when I open it, unlike rain-alarm, I have to start it as one would with something like you-tube, then it runs. Is this normal. Ideally I'd like it to run once open.

Also, it runs in five minute segments, half hourly would be my ideal.

At the top right corner is a key, do you know what that is for?

thanks

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No idea on first 2 questions, but the key will toggle display of the various colour charts at the top of the screen.

By the way, I am purely an occasional user of Storm, so don't know everything about the app.

Good luck.

OP
I

islandman

No idea on first 2 questions, but the key will toggle display of the various colour charts at the top of the screen.

By the way, I am purely an occasional user of Storm, so don't know everything about the app.

Good luck.

I've thrown caution to the wind and made my first purchase and now have rain-alarm, thanks for your continued help.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just love reading about the different rain/weather apps. I also use Dark Sky and love it. However, as twerppoet stated it only alerts you minutes before it starts or have started.

My other weather apps I use which do not give a rain alert, but a general weather issue alert are these:

Weatherbug
Yahoo weather!
NOAA radar Pro
Radar HD
Meteoearth

I guess you can say I like weather apps! :)

OP
I

islandman

Hi skimonkey. Given that you too are a weather "freak" is the word I'm tempted to use, but mean no offence, I am sure rain-alarm would suit you fine. You are able to view anywhere in the world I think. It always starts off in the States untill you enter your location manually or is finds you. Rain clouds are shown dramatically in various colours, depending on the severity. The radar covers in half hourly freeze frames over a two hour period, so you can quickly establish if it's heading your way. Further to that, the maps are zoom-able so you can see to within a field or two almost of where it is.

Because I wanted it on my ipad, I had to pay, but I am sure it's free on anything else, it certainly was on an android tablet and on my windows laptop.

I'd suggest you google www.rain-alarm.com and have a look. Let me know if you give it a whirl.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi @islandman ...I certainly do like weather apps-and will certainly check in on the rain-alarm app you mentioned. Sounds like an app I'd certainly enjoy! :)

Most reactions

Latest posts