Substitue for rain-alarm

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by islandman, Mar 8, 2015.

1. islandman

islandman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I'm one of those people that get satisfaction from weather forecasts. However we all know they vary and sometimes conflict. On my laptop I have rain-alarm.com and think it's great, simply because it shows in real time, exactly where rain is and the route it's taking, by means of half hourly freeze frames. With your personal location in place, you know if it's heading your way.

Then along comes my ipad. Despite an eternity trying to get the version for this and it is there, in the App Store, there is no "get" to install it.

Search after search and I have one which hopefully is as good. Meteoradar is the name and it's free, shows rain coming or going, depending when you look. At least it will keep me happy and you too if you are fascinated by weather.

2. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Have you seen this app? I found it by following the App Store link on the rain alarm website you mentioned in your post. When I saw the listing, there was certainly a get button to download the app.

Rain Alarm by Carlos Aviles Software
    https://appsto.re/ca/e5aTx.i

image.jpg

3. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    You might find Rain Aware interesting as well. It provides 3 hour rain predictions for your area; based on weather radar and wind directions.

Darkskys offers 1 hour predictions, and a warning notification 15 minutes before it's supposed to start raining; though in my experience it's usually more like 5 minutes after it's started to rain.

I like Rain Aware best. If it is raining, or looks like it might, I use it to decide the best time to walk the dog.

4. islandman

islandman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    My son-in-law says he has it on his iPhone, so I will go and have another look, thanks

Ps it seems rain aware is USA only

Pops, got it, but without button, read details and it's for ios 8, ah well.

#4 islandman, Mar 8, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  5. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    My mistake. I didn't check your location.

6. islandman

islandman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    No problem, at least you tried to help.

I'm trying to muster up the nerve to upgrade to system 8

7. islandman

islandman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I've upgraded hoo Ray. Once I've looked to see if I can spot any changes, I'm off to App Store to pick up a few things.

8. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Congratulations! Please let us know how you like iOS 8.1.3. We're also here to help if you have any questions or problems with the update. BTW, we're expecting Apple to release iOS 8.2 sometime later today.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. islandman

islandman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    That is interesting about version 8.2. Anyway, I was beginning to think it wasn't all it was cracked up to be, as safari wasn't loading, but searched and found I should go to settings - reset which I did, then it cleared up

10. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It's always recommended to do the reset, especially after a large update. Also, it can take a while for things to settle down as the iPad contents have to be re-indexed. In a day or two you should notice a little more speed increase.