What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sub Folders for Photos

KSM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My client has a lot of photos in his library of art objects that he has for sale. He saw the ipad and thought it would be a great way to carry his entire photo library around.
However he organises his pictures into a great deal of sub folders.
E.g. he might have
Art photos,
And within that,:
Art photos -> Modern
Art photos -> Vintage
Art photos -> 30s
Etc. and there are hundreds of folders and subfolders with further subfolders. This helps him find particular pictures.
The problem is that on synching with the ipad, it only seems to categorise by the first set of subfolders. It calls these "albums" but everything under that sub folder is bundled into the same thing.
So using the basic example above, everytng under Art photos -> Modern (even if there were lots more subfodlrs) would be treated as being all under one folder?
Is there any way around this or any other application that will allow direct synchronisation of his folder layout on the PC to a folder structure on the ipad?

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I set up my source pictures folder in iTunes with the subdirectories I need, and place the pictures in their respective subdirectories. When I sync it to iPad, I make sure that under my Photos tab, the required subdirectories are selected - and when it syncs, it will automaticaly create the corresponding folder on the iPad. Took me a little trial-and-error, but got it to work.

retexan599

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I set up my source pictures folder in iTunes with the subdirectories I need, and place the pictures in their respective subdirectories. When I sync it to iPad, I make sure that under my Photos tab, the required subdirectories are selected - and when it syncs, it will automaticaly create the corresponding folder on the iPad. Took me a little trial-and-error, but got it to work.

Yes, but as far as I can tell, even though one makes subfolders within the source pictures folder on the PC, they are not honored when synching to iPad. In other words the folders in the iPad Photos album only goes one deep no matter how many subfolders you have in the original source file. Here I am speaking of the native iPad Photos app. At least that is how it works for me.

Hegelund

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm using "My pictures", a free app which allows you to create and manage subfolders for your pictures. You can also protection certain or all folders with a password.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm glad Photo-Sort is at the top of that list Twerpoet posted. I use it and it is a wonderful photo management tool. Not only can you make folders within folders within folders...

....but you can FTP over to your PC on the same network, save to the stock Photo app or upload to Dropbox. You can also rename the folders and the pictures right there on the iPad. Very convenient app, IMNSHO.

It would take a bit to organize that many photos, but once done, it'd be easy to use.

I'm just a regular user, not a paid shill - just wanted to say that Photo-Sort is an awesome app.

Marilyn

OP
K

KSM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Photo-sort is looking good, but

Photo-sort looks interesting. But does it allow folders already sorted on the computer to be automatically sorted onto the ipad. From what I have read and from the comments, this will only allow me to sort the photos on my ipad once they are on there.
What I really want to achieve is the ipad to mirror the same setup that is on my computer already. Maybe I have misunderstood and forgive me if this is the case, but can you tell me if Photo-sort would actually do this?
It very important in our case that we just mirror the organisation of the photos as they are on the computer directly to the ipad.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No worries, KSM. I understand wanting to make things clear...

Photo-Sort doesn't do anything automatically - you'll have to do it manually. However, it is a simple matter to set up Photo-Sort so that it exactly mirrors your PC (please note that I have/am using/am talking about a Windows machine here ... I don't know how it'll work on a Mac).

You can do this by using the FTP server in Photo-Sort to connect to your PC. You can also map the Photo-Sort app so that it shows up as a network drive (if that's the word I mean) on your PC.

For how I do it, please see my post (#10) in this thread: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/40140-problem-photos-app-ipad-2-a.html

Once I have the FTP server on, I open the networked Photo-Sort folder [on my PC]. From there, it is a mere drag or cut/copy/paste process. For example, this afternoon, I transfered (copy/paste) four folders with about 200+ pictures - to the PC in about a minute. Is that fast? I dunno - but it worked for me.

And, for the heck of it, just now I put two folders into the Photo-Sort app with copy/paste. Then, I created a folder within one of those folders and copy/pasted three photos in it. They were there on the iPad, within the app. Absolutely no problem. And, I did all this on the PC (although, it can also all be done on the iPad, via the Photo-Sort app).

It's a bit of a fiddle - but as far as I can tell, it would be easy to have the iPad mirror the computer.

I hope this helps. Let me know how it goes.

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
May I know how am I going to create folder in Photo in iPad 2?

iPhone, iPad and iPod touch: Syncing photos via iTunes

To have multiple albums you just create folders under the main folder you selected to sync. Only the first level of folder will sync under the main folder will sync. If you choose to sync all photos, all folders will create albums and sync. If you choose selected albums, you can choose which sub-folders will sync.

It's a one way sync. Pictures and folders can only be changed on the computer. I recommend you set up folder specifically for syncing with the iPad, so that you can rearrange/add/delete new photos without risk of accidentally deleting the original photos.

Last edited:

dereksiow80

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I don't want sync, I just only want to create folder inside the Photo in IPad2? Is the Photo having function for creating folder to store our photos in different categories?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If I don't want sync, I just only want to create folder inside the Photo in IPad2? Is the Photo having function for creating folder to store our photos in different categories?

No. The Photos app can only create albums through iTunes. There are other third party apps with more flexibility. Here is a list of a few of the better ones. Photo-Sort is popular on the forum.

Photo Organization Apps: iPad/iPhone Apps AppGuide

dereksiow80

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One more question, if let say we sync photo from our PC to iPad, can we delete a photo (sync from PC one) inside the Photo in iPad? Because a friend of mine is facing this problem.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Photos synced through iTunes can only be deleted/removed on the computer, then you re-sync. iTunes only makes syncs the changes, so it doesn't take as long as syncing the photos did the first time.

Just make the desired change in the folder(s) you are syncing with. Don't deselect any folders, as that will remove them. Unless you want to remove them, that is.

Most reactions

Latest posts