What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stylus Useful For Average User?

IrishPilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm no longer a student, and don't take notes etc so I don't see any immediate need for a stylus. Am I missing out? Is a stylus useful for someone simply web browsing and using music/video features?

VSorceress

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For general video/web browsing I would say its not necessary, but why not get one anyway in case you do want to use it for journaling? You can get a great stylus cheap and have it nearby when u need it.

I use the Boxwave Stylus and it's $15 on Amazon. I use my ipad to take meeting notes and use it as a replacement for a notepad.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Plainsman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's absolutely worth having and using. I was leery of them because of their big, fat "nibs" but the one I have works very well indeed. And it's not just for writing and drawing. I use mine for tapping anything I would otherwise use a finger for. Keeps my screen nice and clean and is much more accurate than a finger. Mine's a TouchTech that I got from Amazon. It's also a ballpoint.

paulillman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use Alu pen stylus from Just Mobile primarily for use with Art Studio and I am amazed at the improvement in using that app. I now find that I use it in several other apps. Particularly useful for language studies where I need delicate scrolling back of audio tracks. All in all excellent accessory.

malfiboy63

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a stylus that came with my iPod case and I have used the stylus on my iPad. While it works way better on the iPad, I cannot get used to using it regularly, mainly for the following reasons:
#1.) It leaves a lot of marks on my iPad screen and I don't clean the screen everyday
#2.) I like the feeling of holding my iPad, and using the touch screen, so using the stylus makes it feel less genuine for me when I use it.

OP
I

IrishPilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ended up picking up a Targus stylus from Best Buy based on some reviews here and so far I have mixed emotions. I do like the thought of not having fingerprints on the screen, and I enjoy how its more accurate while hitting something small like page numbers on a forum.

That being said, I dont enjoy it for scrolling vertically while browsing (vs fingers) and I feel that I move a lot quicker using fingertips/both hands while browsing and of course typing. For $15 its not a bad buy, but Im not sure whether I will continue with it or not.

Ill give it a few more days of use, but so far as a person who uses their iPad mostly for browsing, videos, etc. Im at times finding it more of a hindrance than an aid.

Regardless, thanks all for posting your opinions! FWIW Im loving life with a tablet!

VSorceress

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IrishPilot said:
I ended up picking up a Targus stylus from Best Buy based on some reviews here and so far I have mixed emotions. I do like the thought of not having fingerprints on the screen, and I enjoy how its more accurate while hitting something small like page numbers on a forum.

That being said, I dont enjoy it for scrolling vertically while browsing (vs fingers) and I feel that I move a lot quicker using fingertips/both hands while browsing and of course typing. For $15 its not a bad buy, but Im not sure whether I will continue with it or not.

Ill give it a few more days of use, but so far as a person who uses their iPad mostly for browsing, videos, etc. Im at times finding it more of a hindrance than an aid.

Regardless, thanks all for posting your opinions! FWIW Im loving life with a tablet!

Not all stylus pens are alike. And neither are the applications that you are using it with. I have learned that after extensive research and 3 different pens. I’ve tried Acase, Bamboo, and Boxwave. There is also another one that I helped fund (through the kickstarter website) that is called Jot, and that should be arriving in a few days.

So far, Boxwave Capacitive Stylus performs beautifully for me. I have tested this on both Penultimate and Notes Plus. It may take a little bit of time for you to get used to the feel of writing with it, but to me it was worth it. I now don’t have to keep up with so many notebooks I use for meetings and it allows for better organization.

I will post my thoughts on the Jot once it arrives. I was interested in it because it has more of a ballpoint tip unlike the other capacitive stylus pens.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/531383637/jot-capacitive-touch-stylus?ref=live

Just to note, be careful buying from retail stores, they are horridly expensive there. I’d stick to sites like Amazon. That way you can test out what pens works best for you and not be too much of a cost to invest in.

And when u do get the right one. Purchase 2 of them... One for home and the other for at work/travel/etc.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a 3M stylus which is quite different to the others. The tip is is very pliable so that it "flattens" on contact with the screen and very little force is transferred. It seemed really weird at first but it emulates finger contact much better than most styli, especially when swiping the screen to scroll.

Two positives are that it is more precise than a finger (surprisingly) and there is much less need to clean the screen. I still have to use my fingers for more complex gestures of course.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The greatest advantage I've found is that I can use the iPad without transferring Cheeto stains to the screen.

As far as brands of styluses are concerned, I've tried at least half a dozen and the best by far is the iFaraday, several models. Virtually no resistance, it does an excellent job.

Most reactions

Latest posts