What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stylus: Targus versus Stylus-R-Us Roger iWand

OP
MattIM

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have the Zagg Invisibleshield

Does anybody use a screen protector with their stylus r us ?

Neither the Roger iWand and the Maserrati Pen Stylus seem to be affected by the screen protector. I have found that when I use either stylus, my screen stays cleaner. With my now retired Targus/Boxwave/Griffen stylus, the rubber makes squeaky noise.

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Okay!

Jack certainly speaketh the truth, but he is obviously an advocate.

I am a new customer and user of the Roger iWand, a nine inch version.

I initially posted a rave review, then moderated it somewhat by saying that I did, indeed, experience compression of the fibers. As Jack just said, the velcro does rejuvenate it nicely.

Now, down to the "nitty gritty"! I have been rapidly learning to use a lighter touch, and am having good results.

One thing Jack does not take into account: when the iPad fails to respond quickly, a user has the natural tendency to jab a bit harder! This, for me, is when I am using the browser or somesuch and the internet is going sulky on me! So, even with my Jack-instilled Zen awareness, I still sometimes compress the fibers. The velcro takes it out then very nicely.

Being really into handwriting on the iPad, I just ordered a Dagi stylus. I intend to do a very critical examination and comparison of all three---and I will pst my reactions here.

Thus far, in comparison with my Targus, the iWand is the front runner by a longshot!

Last edited:

Sunlover331

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have just received my stylus.. ordered it & received it in 2 days ..
thank you Jack, :) this is my first stylus, what great help this forum is !

How did you know you had to rejuvenate your stylus ?
you are so right, a light touch take's some pratice ;)

Last edited:

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed analysis, Jack.

No problem with most of your comments, but I would like to discuss one: you say:

"And just one last point to Mr. Heavyside. As you've undoubtedly heard many times in your life - "Apples to apples" - "Pears to pears". This is saying - it is NOT a fair test - comparing an apple to a pear. In order for you to give an accurate test of my stylus to ANY other - it is CRITICALLY IMPERATIVE you just "touch" the screen with both - exactly as light as you do STYLUS-R-US. Because failure to do so - isn't a fair test. There is no way any other stylus will or can compare. Speaking of climbing out on a limb."

My own objective is not to develop a light touch, but to use a stylus in the most natural way to me that is possible. The iWand requires a light touch, and if I must learn how to do that to achieve superior performance, I am willing. But if another stylus allows me to use a pressure that comes more naturally to me, then I will favor it.

Not to take away from the fact that I am happy with the iWand. It just is taking a bit of work to learn to use it. Who knows? In the long run, maybe the learning effort will be paid for in greater versatility. Time will tell.

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As someone who now owns both the Roger iWand and Targus, I can speak to my own experience. I still like the Targus, but the iWand is simply awesome. I too am used to applying some pressure, but have found the iWand a pleasure. I had no problem with the instant transition to very light pressure. Took me no time at all to acclimate. It's my new favorite, and as I noted in another thread here, I am not an easy sell. I also like the length-much easier to write with. A longer length and smooth, easy writing without much pressure equals greater than I thought. It also was easy as anything; worked right out of the box. You could say I was a skeptic, but no longer! Took well, actually using the stylus to see for myself.

Spink10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was not sold at first - now it is growing on me.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Practical1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the New Jersey and the Red Mercedes set from StylusRus. They are by far the best I have used. I tried the Pogo and then the Targus. I hated the Pogo but did like the Targus. However, now that I started using the stylus from Jack, I can't go back. Both of his stylus have such a light touch and work great with WritePad. My handwriting recognition has increased dramatically. No comparison to my old stylus. The only thing better than Jack's stylus is his customer service. I had some questions and he responded the same day. As a matter of fact I got a response in less than 15 minutes. Now that's service.

pluto6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are there any stylus out that has a fine point ala a Nintendo DS styli?

No, and until they change the way the iPad works (capacitance) there never will be. The Nintendo, Palm, Blackberry, etc. screen are all resistance type, and so they respond to pressure at a particular point. The Ipad uses a small amount of electric current (like what your fingers generate) to respond. So, to have that, you need a broader tip. A fine tip won't give you the necessary charge for the screen to read...

flips

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Stylus + iPad = 42 ? ;)

Maybe it's just me, but this is all a little confusing. First we read all these people saying in reviews (Amazon and more) "OMG this Pogo stylus is the best ever" ... Then a little later that one sucks and people say that it's the worst stylus ever, and the best now is Targus, Boxwave or Griffin. But then some people say that these are basically the same OEM product (Acasa is different?), with different logos. But still some prefer Boxwave over Targus or whatever ...
Then the Just Mobile AluPen is praised as being much better, and some mention Acasa ...

So, if I have understood this correctly (correct me if I'm wrong), these all work. The pogo has foamy tip and has smooth movement, but needs some pressure or correct angle to work.
Griffin/Targus/Boxwave, Acasa and JustMobile AluPen (and Dagi?) has a smooth rubber/silicon tip, requires some pressure, but not too bad – but sometimes they stick too much to the surface, preventing smooth movement. Right?
(The Dagi stylus I haven't read much about, so I don't know how to categorize that one.)

But now there's also people saying that all these "OMG best stylus ever" choices suck and they hate them. The only thing now is Stylus R Us, which is quite pricey, but require no pressure whatsoever, but occasional re-fluffing of the tip.

I am an iPad user not used to using a stylus at all, but interested, as it could improve note-taking/drawing. I received a $1 no-name plastic stylus with a soft plastic/rubber tip from Hong Kong recently (just bundled with other accesories). This is the worst I've ever used. I was used to writing on my Palm (resistance based) screen using a sharp stylus, and that worked pretty well. The one I have now, is just for pointing at the screen, selecting stuff. It has no smooth movement on the surface whatsoever (with or withour screen protector) ...

So, not being a hardcore* stylus power user, I can't really see myself using $40-60 to get a stylus shipped to Northern Europe, as long as I can get a regular targus/griffin or AluPen for around $10-12 including shipping ...
(So why not get the best thing right away? Well, because $50 or more is a lot for a poor** student and because I don't know if I will love using a stylus at all.)

* As for defining a hardcore stylus user, consider yourself one if you have used more than $80-100 on stylii and own more that 3-5 of them ... ;)
** Buying an iPad in the first place can make you poor ... :)

JackBauer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me, but this is all a little confusing. First we read all these people saying in reviews (Amazon and more) "OMG this Pogo stylus is the best ever" ... Then a little later that one sucks and people say that it's the worst stylus ever, and the best now is Targus, Boxwave or Griffin. But then some people say that these are basically the same OEM product (Acasa is different?), with different logos. But still some prefer Boxwave over Targus or whatever ...
Then the Just Mobile AluPen is praised as being much better, and some mention Acasa ...

So, if I have understood this correctly (correct me if I'm wrong), these all work. The pogo has foamy tip and has smooth movement, but needs some pressure or correct angle to work.
Griffin/Targus/Boxwave, Acasa and JustMobile AluPen (and Dagi?) has a smooth rubber/silicon tip, requires some pressure, but not too bad – but sometimes they stick too much to the surface, preventing smooth movement. Right?
(The Dagi stylus I haven't read much about, so I don't know how to categorize that one.)

But now there's also people saying that all these "OMG best stylus ever" choices suck and they hate them. The only thing now is Stylus R Us, which is quite pricey, but require no pressure whatsoever, but occasional re-fluffing of the tip.

I am an iPad user not used to using a stylus at all, but interested, as it could improve note-taking/drawing. I received a $1 no-name plastic stylus with a soft plastic/rubber tip from Hong Kong recently (just bundled with other accesories). This is the worst I've ever used. I was used to writing on my Palm (resistance based) screen using a sharp stylus, and that worked pretty well. The one I have now, is just for pointing at the screen, selecting stuff. It has no smooth movement on the surface whatsoever (with or withour screen protector) ...

So, not being a hardcore* stylus power user, I can't really see myself using $40-60 to get a stylus shipped to Northern Europe, as long as I can get a regular targus/griffin or AluPen for around $10-12 including shipping ...
(So why not get the best thing right away? Well, because $50 or more is a lot for a poor** student and because I don't know if I will love using a stylus at all.)

* As for defining a hardcore stylus user, consider yourself one if you have used more than $80-100 on stylii and own more that 3-5 of them ... ;)
** Buying an iPad in the first place can make you poor ... :)

Good Day Mr. Flips;

Allow me - Jack Bauer - owner - operator - and inventor of STYLUS-R-US and each and every stylus itself - to remove your confusion. And to start off - let me quote a section of your thoughts - then counter them...starting with...

"Maybe it's just me, but this is all a little confusing. First we read all these people saying in reviews (Amazon and more) "OMG this Pogo stylus is the best ever" ... Then a little later that one sucks and people say that it's the worst stylus ever, and the best now is Targus, Boxwave or Griffin."

No...it's not just you. Anyone would be confused - UNLESS they stopped to think of this philosophy - which is not only the truth - but one we all practice in life. You go to a car dealer to buy a new car - and while being shown around - find one you like. Thrilled to death - you happen to glance over your left....no....right shoulder.....(there was a tree to your left)...and you see another car you want to check out. In doing so - what do you know? You now like that one better. Long to short - you're about to sign on the dotted line - (having totally blown off all of the small print like we all do) - only to see through the dirty car dealer window - yet another car you like the looks of even better.

This is called ' Life"! The way things and we - are. We treasure something - quite often - a mate - until - how does the saying go? "Something better came along," and voila...we move on to the better. BUT...but...while we had what we had - naturally - it was the best. Again - that's just life. No mystery there at all. So - all you're hearing - from the intelligent people who were able to see past anything taken as a "sales-pitch" from STYLUS-R-US - and buy from us - was just that. Since they've tried the most incredible stylus in the world - ours - hey? They merely thought they had the best - when in fact - all they had - was an excellent beginning of a fancy paper weight (the other styluses) when glued all together.

Moving on to your next issue - yes - 90% of all other stylus are using that poor excuse of a tip - conductive foam - which is exactly why they are all from the same family sinking at sea on a rubber (pun intended) raft. Granted their tips look smooth and classy and professional. But is that the main reason people buy a stylus - or you think it could be more in line with wanting to take notes and text message and email and do everything on the iPad WITHOUT getting the screen all slimy with their fingers?

Listen...I had an attorney contact me who lives close by and my wife and I met with him to deliver his "ATTORNEY" stylus. Knowing he would love that one - yet it would be too short to enjoy on the iPad - I gave him the one I use - the New Jersey - KNOWING he would be ruined for life. Meaning - there would be no way he could ever use his fingers again - and he now treasures the New Jersey - as if it were his Ferrari. Here's an email he sent me this morning - after I asked if he was liking it.

"I actually wanted to tell you that i am infatuated with it haha! I actually haven't used the attorney at all. I'm keeping it stowed away in its case until I find a need for it. I haven't put my New Jersey down! I'm going to throw a review up asap. Any preferences on where I post a review? Also, I have my first referral for ya. He's picking up his iPad today and is obsessed with my styluses. Any possibility of getting him the same deal that I got? He wants the attorney (same color as mine) and either a New Jersey or a New Yorker"

Anyone touches his New Jersey - and he'll have you in court so fast - your head would spin. That's the way most are - with our stylus once they get it.
And then there's the message this other customer wrote on her PayPal receipt we receive when getting an order. She wrote...
Instructions from buyer:
Received my Roger iWand yesterday for my Ipad and absolutely love it! Wish I had ordered yours first! I tried Pogo, Griffin, Targus & Boxwave In my quest for the ideal stylus. There's no comparison! Yours is the best hands down! My friend tried it & loved it so I let her keep it. I'm telling everyone!

Ship-to address: - Confirmed
6750 Thornton Pl
REMOVED

Shipping method:
Standard Domestic
************************************************************************************
She'd given her stylus to a friend and turned around and bought another right away. Conclusion. Listen: We understand how everyone wants the least expensive stylus - because we all want the best price. But you surely know the saying - YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. If you don't mind having to use pressure on EVERY SINGLE aspect of the iPad and iPhone - seriously - you would be MUCH better off with one of the others. But if you're like me and don't care for having to use pressure - and must have the best - we'll be waiting for your order. :D We have no competition. Good day.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts