1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Stylus: Targus versus Stylus-R-Us Roger iWand

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3' started by MattIM, Nov 26, 2010.

1. haggisgirl

haggisgirl iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Whatever it is, I'm glad its there. My Stylus-R-Us stylus makes taking notes a lot easier than using my finger or any other stylus I've tried. I have more control over what I'm writing and my handwriting recognition software works almost perfectly with very few errors. IF you use a light touch. That's the key to using this stylus.
  2. zorah

zorah iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Indeed! My Roger iWand sits at my desk all day at work as I jot a note down. It rocks!
  3. rsmin

rsmin iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Yep, if I pick up my ipad, my stylus-r-us gets picked up with it. I don't use any other stylus with my ipad.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Practical1

Practical1 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    StylusRus is the only way to go. Great product and outstanding customer service. Only stylus that I use.
  5. chowdown

chowdown iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I've just calculated that since getting my iPad in mid-December 2010 I've produced close to 80 A4-sized documents. They are fairly densely packed with notes and diagrams (nothing type-written).

Many of the documents were created under adverse conditions, eg, in classrooms without aircon on 38 degree days (100F) or at my breakfast/lunch table while I ate and talked (thereby often inadvertently spraying the screen with unwholesome particles).

I use neu.Notes 90% of the time and Note Taker HD the rest of the time. NTHD's Edit2 mode allows you to do all your writing at the bottom of the screen thereby doing away with the problem of palm protection altogether as your hand never touches the screen. But neu.Notes allows you to write anywhere on the screen because it has the best palm protection of any app I've seen.

My sweaty, oily and often less than sparklingly clean hand has been dragged over the iPad's screen literally thousands of times. I have no idea how people can write on a screen without resting their hand on it, but I admire their dexterity.

I would buy an iWand tomorrow (I like the idea of no pressure being necessary) except for the fact that SRU styluses are meant to be used without resting your hand on the screen.

I use a Targus. I've only had one, and it has worked brilliantly.
  6. blaster9

blaster9 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Jacks the man! Keep up the good work and your client base will keep growing. Love the website updates by the way. Tons of new styluses on there im savin for a couple more ;)
  7. ClemsonRyan

ClemsonRyan iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just ordered one from stylus r us and am looking forward to trying it out. I really hope it works as well as the reviews say.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF
  8. fmmrz5

fmmrz5 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I don't want to give away too much or count my chickens before they hatch, but I am designing a stylus that has potential to blow all others out of the water. I'll keep you guys and gals up to date if anyone cares. Got some parts ordered. Hopefully the prototype will turn out as planned
  9. Heaviside

Heaviside iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Just an update. On another thread which I can't find right now ( in order to give proper credit), someone recommended dipping the tip of a Boxwave into talcum powder to make it less "grabby." I just tried that with my Targus and it works amazingly well. With this trick, I now like my Targus better than the Roger iWand (and the Dagi, which I also have). Now if it were only a biit longer---!
    • Like Like x 1
  10. haggisgirl

haggisgirl iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just be sure to use a light touch, barely touching the screen works best. And give it an adequate time for testing before making up your mind. I really like my Stylus-R-Us.
  11. ClemsonRyan

ClemsonRyan iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yea I hear you need a light touch, not sure how that will work out for me I press hard with pens.

12. fmmrz5

fmmrz5 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    And it is completely natural to write with pressure.
  13. Heaviside

Heaviside iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Yes, that is the biggest drawback to the iWand. I just find that the super light touch it requires is highly unnatural for me. In trying to lighten up my touch, I find that operation becomes unreliable.

So far, my preferred stylus is my Targus, dipped occasionally in talcum to reduce the "stickiness.". Unfortunately, it is a bit too short. I have noticed that stylus marketers often do not give the length (check the Pogo web page).
  14. haggisgirl

haggisgirl iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As do I, but it didn't take me too long to adjust to the light touch necessary for the Stylus-R-Us. But I was also willing to practice with it before giving up. I've tried several different stylii before this one and the Stylus-R-Us is the one I prefer. Others may feel differently.
  15. ClemsonRyan

ClemsonRyan iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm willing to practice. Thanks for the input, once I get it in the mail I will give a review.

16. ClemsonRyan

ClemsonRyan iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I received my stylus today from Stylus R Us, I also purchased the Targus stylus. I have used both today for awhile they both have good and bad things about them.

Stylus R Us:
    Good:
    styles- I really like that you get lots of options and sizes.
    No pressure to use.

Bad:
    Price $37.99 with shipping
    Hard to use at first
    Fragile (feels like it will brake or not safe to put in a carrying bag)

Targus:
    Good:
    Price $14.99
    Easy to use
    Sturdy

Bad:
    Size

Overall the Targus works best for me, I like that you need a little pressure to use. I feel like have much more control when writing with it. The Stylus R Us is nice just don't think the price is worth it. I would suggest getting the Targus first and see what you think, if you don't like it then return and try Stylus R Us. I hope this short review can help.

17. Jman09

Jman09 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I also like the Targus stylus. I tried the Acase gen 2 stylus, just like the Targus but a little longer and narrower. But after using for 2 days the tip was torn. So I sent it back to Amazon.
    I would like to try one of the iWands but I don't know if the price is worth it to test it out.
  18. Bocagirl

Bocagirl iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The Stylus-R-Us compared to the Targus...

I just got the Stylus-R-Us for my Ipad 2 and it is absolutely AMAZING!!!
    I had searched every stylus I could find and without a doubt these stylus were the winner. The soft touch along with the ability to extend the telescopic feature makes this the Top-of-the-line without question. I was so thrilled as soon as I tried this stylus that I've been spreading the word to everyone. Buy one and you'll thank me.
  19. Jman09

Jman09 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well that didn't last long. I had extra money left form last paycheck so I decided to get two. The iWand 9" and the Light Touch. Hopefully they will be what everyone is saying.
  20. Golfnut61

Golfnut61 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the great review, Matt...most importantly the small note about having a screen shield !! I will return my iStylus and get a Roger wand...yes we can certainly spend money on these wonderful toys can't we. :)