What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stylus: Targus versus Stylus-R-Us Roger iWand

OP
MattIM

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Spink10

Thanks Matt after reading these post I think I might pull the trigger and get the Roger iWand. Also feel better know the owner posts on this site - I have been debating back and forth - I am kind of cheap :)

This thread has gotten a life of its own! You should be warned, you'll like your Roger iWand so much that you'll want to get another one. The SRU stylus are a little bit more expensive and require not only time for delivery but also time to get used to it--the famous light touch admonishments and the once in awhile fluff advice (which I don't do at all or very rarely--not enough to remember the last time I refluffed--LOL)

Hold on to your sense of being 'cheap' because the longer you stay on the forum and the longer you use your iPad, you'll be wanting more apps, more this and that!

Please come back with your review of the iWand.

Spink10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MattIM said:
This thread has gotten a life of its own! You should be warned, you'll like your Roger iWand so much that you'll want to get another one. The SRU stylus are a little bit more expensive and require not only time for delivery but also time to get used to it--the famous light touch admonishments and the once in awhile fluff advice (which I don't do at all or very rarely--not enough to remember the last time I refluffed--LOL)

Hold on to your sense of being 'cheap' because the longer you stay on the forum and the longer you use your iPad, you'll be wanting more apps, more this and that!

Please come back with your review of the iWand.

Matt

I don't feel like a can spend more than 30 for a stylus which one should I get? Do these last a long time?

OP
MattIM

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
....if you want a real high quality, Power Support protectors are great (at least for the iPhone), and I am pretty sure they would work great with the stylus as well. With the use of only 1 hand, I would recommend that you have someone else apply whatever you get, it is not so much fun getting the protector lined up just right, I had to lift and lower several times to get it within all the margins... Much easier on the iphone (which makes perfect sense given the size difference). Good luck to you.

Oh, I never looked at Zagg, as it was one that I first bought my son (who keeps the phone in his pocket), and after a couple of months it was peeling on all the edges (which makes sense), but the Power Support never did that despite the same treatment. Also, my own use of the power support, (antiglare) I was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked. And after 2 years, is still looking brand new on the phone...

Hello Pluto6, I have a Zagg screen saver on my iPad. With the SRU stylus, I have not found any problems using the stylus with the Zagg product. Im having a little bit of a disappointment with the Zagg screen protector itself.

I thought the Zagg was resistant to scratches...three weeks after I got it on my iPad, I was cleaning my iPad and I mustve had some grit on the screen and I rubbed with a microfiber cloth 3 very fine lines--only noticeable when the iPad is off. So Im ready to try something else on my iPad screen.

Thanks for your advice. I'm going to try the cheap no name first, and if that doesn't work for me, I'll go the expensive route. I was surprised that the Power Support screen protectors was US$10 more than I paid for the Zagg @ Best Buy. I remember thinking that was expensive for plastic. I have since learned that anything Zagg is expensive but very good quality so I guess worth it(?).

Last edited:

pluto6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
....if you want a real high quality, Power Support protectors are great (at least for the iPhone), and I am pretty sure they would work great with the stylus as well. With the use of only 1 hand, I would recommend that you have someone else apply whatever you get, it is not so much fun getting the protector lined up just right, I had to lift and lower several times to get it within all the margins... Much easier on the iphone (which makes perfect sense given the size difference). Good luck to you.

Oh, I never looked at Zagg, as it was one that I first bought my son (who keeps the phone in his pocket), and after a couple of months it was peeling on all the edges (which makes sense), but the Power Support never did that despite the same treatment. Also, my own use of the power support, (antiglare) I was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked. And after 2 years, is still looking brand new on the phone...

Hello Pluto6, I have a Zagg screen saver on my iPad. With the SRU stylus, I have not found any problems using the stylus with the Zagg product. Im having a little bit of a disappointment with the Zagg screen protector itself.

I thought the Zagg was resistant to scratches...three weeks after I got it on my iPad, I was cleaning my iPad and I mustve had some grit on the screen and I rubbed with a microfiber cloth 3 very fine lines--only noticeable when the iPad is off. So Im ready to try something else on my iPad screen.

Thanks for your advice. I'm going to try the cheap no name first, and if that doesn't work for me, I'll go the expensive route. I was surprised that the Power Support screen protectors was US$10 more than I paid for the Zagg @ Best Buy. I remember thinking that was expensive for plastic. I have since learned that anything Zagg is expensive but very good quality so I guess worth it(?).

Matt -
I don't clean my iPad with anything special - t shirt, whatever, the only thing I don't use is paper - that can scratch. But I have no scratches, although I cant say I have ever got any sand or anything on the screen. I like it, it is super thin, and antiglare ( although, not everyone likes antiglare as it does make the screen not as gorgeous). Hopefully the non name will be ok for you.

phylliskb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Stylus

There are 2 in the Intermediate price range that are under $30. The Camry and the light touch. The least expensive are the aluminum styli and they come in colors and various lengths. They are $19.99. I have those in various lengths.

The telescoping styli solve the problem of which length you need. The entrepreneur goes from 5" to 12 " which costs $49.99. The Terminator goes from 5 1/2 " to 9 1/4" and the cost of that one is $45.99. It is pricey. If I could have operated that one, it is the one I would have bought.

I sound like a saleswoman for stylus R Us! I can assure you that I'm not, just a satisfied customer. LOL.

smdebnam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just ordered the Cape Cod from Stylus R Us. Can't wait for it to get here so I can try it out!

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just received my Roger iwand. After only fifteen minutes with it, I can say it is absolutely great!

I have been using a Targus for a month or so---and actually thought it was pretty good---until I started using the iwand!

Now, I realized that I was actually expecting the Targus to require much less pressure. After all, a capacitive effect should not have to rely on a lot of pressure.

Thus far, I am delighted. The light touch is easy to become accustomed to.

Spink10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Heaviside said:
Just received my Roger iwand. After only fifteen minutes with it, I can say it is absolutely great!

I have been using a Targus for a month or so---and actually thought it was pretty good---until I started using the iwand!

Now, I realized that I was actually expecting the Targus to require much less pressure. After all, a capacitive effect should not have to rely on a lot of pressure.

What exact model did you get.

Spink10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jackbauer24 said:
Mr Spink10 - hope this finds you well. Allow me to answer your questions regarding does my stylus/tip last a long time.
And to do so - allow me to answer it this way. When I was young (five minutes ago and tomorrow) I use to love to driving fast in whatever car I had. Recall if you can - your days of spinning the rear tires - because we thought it was cool. And - at that age - it was. The problem with burning rubber however - became apparent when the tread seemed to disappear. Much of this - and we had slicks on the car. And why? Because we abused the car - with the assistance of a fast lead foot.

In life - as you obviously know - if we abuse anything - we pay the price. Being an excessively clean person - I have a habit of washing my Genesis Coupe everyday. Six point three more months - and the paint will be completely gone and I'll be driving around in an all silver car - right down to metal. (Not actually - as I wash it with another invention of mine that requires no water - leaves no streaks or shadows).

If my stylus customers use my stylus as I (redundantly and boringly) request - (DON'T TAP!!!!!!!!!! Just touch the icon) then seriously - what's to wear out? What can break? No skid marks! No burned rubber! Just a very slight "touch" (peck on the cheek) and whalla - the icon is activated or the character you want to insert - is placed - and the tip barely knows the difference. It - as everything in life - is all the way you use it. I've ruined more things in my life by NOT reading and following instructions - than you have hair on your left wrist. I happened to think up our motto - because it is exactly the truth. THE LIGHTER YOU TOUCH (the screen) - THE BETTER THEY WORK. Fact.

Anyone fearing our stylus tip wearing out - dangle a piece of thread from your hand and touch the end to a table. That's how light you have to touch our tip to an icon: Seriously - whats to wear out. :)

Thanks Jack

Which stylus do you recommend for note taking that is below 39.99 - I feel guilty if I pay 40 :)

pluto6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@Spink10 - I have 3 of Jack's styluses. The Steve Jobs, The Donald Trump, and the 9" aluminum Roger iWand, and while the Jobs and Trump are both excellent, the one that I find using mostly for entertainment is the Roger iWand. It works perfectly, and the length allows me to put the pad at a nice reading length and effortllessly browse the net, do one "finger" typing, and the length and skinhead of the wand allows me to have complete visibility of the screen without my hands getting in the way.

It also works wonderfully for note taking, but I prefer a thicker pen, and so the other styluses are more comfortable.

After a few more days of use, the Boxwave has been put away, and the SRU are the ones I use.

The "hype" of these is that they work perfectly every time, which is not the norm for a stylus judging from how many types, and brands there are. The beauty is that there are many styles, colors, features, etc. So not only do you get function but you also get style.

Happy to answer any questions regarding my experience with these.

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've read the whole thread and I have to say I gotta take my hat off to jack, he's still here, still helping people.

I was in the Market for a stylus back last winter for my iPhone and I brought a pogo (horrible thing) this year I wanted one for my iPad, the problem was the pogo looked exactly the same as the Roger Iwand so I was put off.

I ended up purchasing a boxwave stylus which I am awaiting delivery.

Anyways, after reading all the glowing reviews I want a Roger iwand or similar, is there a UK delivery??

All I want it for is to draw, and write I don't mind touching the screen for everything else, which one would be suitable for this?

Also the boxwave has a keyring type thing that plugs into the iPad earphone jack, maybe you could incorporate that into your design jack?

Keep up the good work!

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score

After using my nine inch Roger iwand a couple of days, I thought I should update my initial review.

I am still an enthusiast, but I have noticed that even though I am trying hard to use a light touch, it apparently isn't light enough. After a few hours of pretty heavy use, I had to rejuvenate the fiber tip.

Undoubtedly I will learn to use an even lighter touch as I gain experience with it and this will make the issue disappear as Jack says.

Time will tell! I can certainly say that pointing accuracy is better than with either the Targus or my finger! (Weak pun unintended.)

Spink10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I DID IT! I purchased a New Yorker - can't wait to get the stylus - hopefully before my birthday.

pluto6

iPF Noob
Reaction score

After using my nine inch Roger iwand a couple of days, I thought I should update my initial review.

I am still an enthusiast, but I have noticed that even though I am trying hard to use a light touch, it apparently isn't light enough. After a few hours of pretty heavy use, I had to rejuvenate the fiber tip.

Undoubtedly I will learn to use an even lighter touch as I gain experience with it and this will make the issue disappear as Jack says.

Time will tell! I can certainly say that pointing accuracy is better than with either the Targus or my finger! (Weak pun unintended.)

Hence your avatar?? :p

Seriously though, for me, there is some learning involved. Like using a fountain pen. However, just be a bit patient, and I think that as time goes on, you will find your touch lightening up and your performance improving. There are a number of similar experiences to yours in the thread, and while some may be naysayers and believe no practice should be necessary, like any fine instruments, improving your technique will improve your results. Let us know how you are doing at the end of the week - I think you'll see improvement if your results are similar to mine.

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Hence your avatar?? :p

Seriously though, for me, there is some learning involved. Like using a fountain pen. However, just be a bit patient, and I think that as time goes on, you will find your touch lightening up and your performance improving. There are a number of similar experiences to yours in the thread, and while some may be naysayers and believe no practice should be necessary, like any fine instruments, improving your technique will improve your results. Let us know how you are doing at the end of the week - I think you'll see improvement if your results are similar to mine.

Actually, my avatar says "default," doesn't it? But maybe de fault is because my hand is somewhat on the heavy side!

More seriously, I think you are probably right---things will improve with practice.

I don't think the handwriting causes the compaction of the fibers. My internet connection tends to drop out a great deal. So if I am doing something on line, a key press does not always result in an immediate response, and my natural reaction is to tap again---harder!

Most reactions

Latest posts