What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stylus: Targus versus Stylus-R-Us Roger iWand

rsmin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Heaviside,

That's ok. I can handle it.
In fact using the stylus writing this reply. If you are a little worried, by one of the cheaper ones.

Just remember:

1. Follow the directions.
2. Practice

I really don't think you can go wrong with Jack's stylus.

Rusty :)

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Heaviside,

That's ok. I can handle it.
In fact using the stylus writing this reply. If you are a little worried, by one of the cheaper ones.

Just remember:

1. Follow the directions.
2. Practice

I really don't think you can go wrong with Jack's stylus.

Rusty,

Thanks, I understand I will have to practice a bit with the by now "proverbial" light touch---or did Jack actually mentione it once or twice?

I intended to add a smiley at the end of my last posting, but it didn't show up for some reason!

rsmin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Heaviside,

I guess Jack has to keep mentioning it because people often misuse his type of stylus. He mentioned it to me several times during our initial discussions of which I appreciated. As the case with most men (and some women), they usual won't read instructions on the many things that they buy figuring they know all about or can figure it out. If they do that with this they won't experience good results and will be fussing with Jack that his product doesn't work. Actually the more I use his stylus the more I love it. The first few minutes I used it I was a little worried, but that soon faded away and now I almost have to keep it with me. When I pick up my iPad, I pick up my stylus with it. His stylus with Note Taker HD seem to be the perfect combo for me.

Look forward to seeing what you think about it.

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Where the Targus tip is soft and mushy (worse than the pogo sponge), the Acase stylus tip is rubber also, and soft, but not so mushy like the Targus.
Soft and mushy? I have to disagree. The stylus works like a dream. Its only problem may be its longevity; how long before the tip comes off (if ever)? I find I don't have to press too hard.

- there is nothing like the foot long iWand. Your hand is well away from the iPad screen when using the 12 incher and you can see the whole screen and everything you're doing -

Interesting. So Jack, your intended end-user buys a stylus so that he/she can elegantly flick pages and "press" on-screen buttons and keep their screen pristine. What about the person who buys a stylus to write/draw on the screen? Here's a gross generalization for you: no one (in the western world) can write/draw comfortably, quickly and efficiently without their hand resting on the paper/screen/bezel (hand on screen is a whole other issue that deserves its own thread).

I like the idea of a stylus that needs no pressure, as it must surely have a longer life-span. Fluffing it up every now and then doesn't phase me at all. Like I said, you'll be hearing from me when my Targus carks it. (carks it - Australian for "dies").

PS. If a resistive-screen tablet the size of the iPad came out tomorrow I would buy it even if it was twice the price of an iPad. I much prefer using those javelinesque styluses for a number of reasons. Stab? Jab? I think not!

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ordered a Roger iWand the other day and am looking forward to trying it out.

However, one thing worries me. In the instructions I received with my order acknowledgement, I am told to "keepa' my hands off" the screen---for otherwise my hand oil messes up the tip action. Now that would seem to be a problem. Do I have to buy two and use them like chopsticks to expand the view, etc? It seems to me that this violates the whole concept of the iPad.

pluto6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I got my SRU stylii today, and I have say that no matter how hard I push, press, and jab, I just can't get them to work.....

Just kidding. :D:D

Not having a lot of stylus experience, and not having tried lots of different stylii, I really can't honestly say that they work better. I can say that they work as advertised. They take a very light touch, and both my 16 y/o son and myself agree that it takes less effort, and "feels" better than the that Boxwave stylus that I have. I would say it like comparing a reasonable ballpoint to a nice fountain pen. The fountain pens just "flow" the ink with minimal effort, and the ballpoint requires some friction. But the Boxwave seems OK to me. I will continue to test and provide comparisons.

@chowdown- I like the resistive screen for precision. The conductive ones are hit or miss for tiny areas. I don't think I would pay double, but I miss the precision.

@Heaviside- the stylus tips appear to be quite thick and sturdy. I use my fingers all the time for gaming, and expect that the tips will clean up quite nicely with a bit of soap and water to remove the oils should that be necessary. I like to keep the screen clean, but I agree, the touch screen was designed to be touched.

I'll continue to post impressions as I use them more, and also compare at least to the Boxwave, but if people have tried the Targus and have not been happy, the SRU may be something that gives them satisfaction. And my experience with Jack, the owner of SRU has been just great. He really works hard to give you the best experience.

Klawster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just purchased one so in a few weeks I will see what all the hype is. Right now I have a targis and I find it way better than my finger.

phylliskb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jack's stylus

Well, after meeting with Jack a few times, I have 5 different stylus sizes. :) I'm handicapped and only have the use of my left hand so different lengths work better on my phone, Ipad and Nook. As a matter of fact, Jack made 2 pink styli just for me; one is 6" and one is 7". How's that for customer service!

Of course, the expandable Terminator would have been great, but you need 2 hands to open and close it.

I've also received the home button for my Ipad and it is just great. I recommend it very highly.

Now, I have a question for you folks. What is a good screen saver that works with Jack's stylus? Is the Zagg non glare a good screen saver?

phylliskb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Home Button

On Jack's website, he has a link to home buttons. That's a little plastic concave button that adheres to the Ipad's convex Home button. It prevents grease and dirt from your fingers from accumulating on the depression on the Ipad. Also, you can go right to the "button" and not fumble looking to depress the home button.

Jack doesn't recommend a particular screen saver. He told me to be careful because some screen savers interfere with the effectiveness of the stylus. If possible, try my stylus out on a screen saver or ask the folks on the forum if they have a particular one that works with the stylus. I thought someone mentioned a Zagg.

rsmin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
phylliskb said:
Well, after meeting with Jack a few times, I have 5 different stylus sizes. :) I'm handicapped and only have the use of my left hand so different lengths work better on my phone, Ipad and Nook. As a matter of fact, Jack made 2 pink styli just for me; one is 6" and one is 7". How's that for customer service!

Phyllis,

Thanks for sharing the customer service that Jack is extending to you. It really does show the character of this man and his company.

Spink10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Matt after reading these post I think I might pull the trigger and get the Roger iWand. Also feel better know the owner posts on this site - I have been debating back and forth - I am kind of cheap :)

pluto6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now, I have a question for you folks. What is a good screen saver that works with Jack's stylus? Is the Zagg non glare a good screen saver?

Phyllis -

Power Support makes the best screen protectors that I have ever used for the iPhone - I did not get the iPad one from them for 2 reasons - 1) it is / was more expensive than I wanted to pay and 2) they took their sweet time about having it come out... So I purchased a no-name

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003FPB1I2/ref=wms_ohs_product"]Amazon.com: 2 pcs 9.7" Screen Protectors for Apple Ipad 3g Tablet (by CCM®): Electronics[/ame]

I purchased from Crazy on Digital. It works great with the stylus that I got from Jack. It is antiglare, and very thin. Their is just a nice slight bit of tactile feedback from the antiglare. Now, the great thing about Power Support is that they almost always go on the first time with no bubbles... With the no-name one that I got - I prepared the screen with a nice micro fiber cloth, then used one of the screen protectors (you get 2) as a sort of giant piece of no stick tape, to get the micro pieces of lint, dust, etc. off the screen, then I used the other screen protector to actually put it on. For 3 bucks - no bubbles, perfect fit, and after 8 months of use (I got the iPad the day they came out), it is still just in the same shape as when I put it on... So, a recommendation for this no-name.

But, if you want a real high quality, Power Support protectors are great (at least for the iPhone), and I am pretty sure they would work great with the stylus as well. With the use of only 1 hand, I would recommend that you have someone else apply whatever you get, it is not so much fun getting the protector lined up just right, I had to lift and lower several times to get it within all the margins... Much easier on the iphone (which makes perfect sense given the size difference). Good luck to you.

Oh, I never looked at Zagg, as it was one that I first bought my son (who keeps the phone in his pocket), and after a couple of months it was peeling on all the edges (which makes sense), but the Power Support never did that despite the same treatment. Also, my own use of the power support, (antiglare) I was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked. And after 2 years, is still looking brand new on the phone...

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts