What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stylus: Targus versus Stylus-R-Us Roger iWand

phylliskb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Stylus R Us

I bought the 9" stylus from Stylus R Us. I am really pleased with it. I also bought a 4" stylus from them but it is too short for use with my phone. Since I live a few blocks away, I'm meeting the owner at Burger King and going to exchange it for a longer one or one of the retractable stylus.

The also, have a raised button to put on the home button which makes it easier to use my IPad. That's $15.99 so I'm buying that also. :)
Phyllis

OP
MattIM

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I bought the 9" stylus from Stylus R Us. I am really pleased with it. I also bought a 4" stylus from them but it is too short for use with my phone. Since I live a few blocks away, I'm meeting the owner at Burger King and going to exchange it for a longer one or one of the retractable stylus.

The also, have a raised button to put on the home button which makes it easier to use my IPad. That's $15.99 so I'm buying that also. :)
Phyllis

Hi Phylliskb, welcome to the forum! You are going to meet the famous Jack at a Burger King??? Surely you all can find a better establishment to equal the high quality product you are exchanging (LOL). Please tell Jack that I absolutely enjoy the Masserati Stylus, it is incredible!

pluto6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So aim reading with interest about how everyone loves the SRU stylus. However, how does it work for taking lots of notes? I currently use pen and paper, and am used to a nice smooth feel, but there is definitely a certain amount of friction to know the pen is on the paper.

Before finding this site, I looked at a number of stylii at Amazon, and got the Boxwave which has a tip similar to the targus. Using this with penultimate, notes plus, etc it feels much like writing with a pen on a piece of paper.

There is such emphasis of no pressure with the SRU that I wonder how people can make rapid strokes and keep the touch so light. The videos show mostly mundane tasks such as app selection, scrolling, etc. I don't mind using my finger for any of that, i need a stylus for speed - writing notes, drawings, etc rapidly.

Does the SRU stylus do that? If so, what sizes do people use? My favorite pen size is the Mont Blanc Classic Ballpoint pen. The SRU wands look very thin. I am falling into the category of "looks and sounds too god to be true" and since there seems to be no way to try other than buy, I am just looking for some people with use expectations similar to mine.

Lavenderlady*w*iPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't have any problems writing extensive notes with the Roger iWand or my latest addition, the Red Corvette from SRU. Flows really well and I like the feel of not having to press hard to write. I also have a 4" SRU and love it for quick notes when I am using my iPad in bed at night. I might poke my eye out with the Roger in that situation! ;)

OP
MattIM

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So aim reading with interest about how everyone loves the SRU stylus. However, how does it work for taking lots of notes? I currently use pen and paper, and am used to a nice smooth feel, but there is definitely a certain amount of friction to know the pen is on the paper.

Before finding this site, I looked at a number of stylii at Amazon, and got the Boxwave which has a tip similar to the targus. Using this with penultimate, notes plus, etc it feels much like writing with a pen on a piece of paper.

There is such emphasis of no pressure with the SRU that I wonder how people can make rapid strokes and keep the touch so light. The videos show mostly mundane tasks such as app selection, scrolling, etc. I don't mind using my finger for any of that, i need a stylus for speed - writing notes, drawings, etc rapidly.

Does the SRU stylus do that? If so, what sizes do people use? My favorite pen size is the Mont Blanc Classic Ballpoint pen. The SRU wands look very thin. I am falling into the category of "looks and sounds too god to be true" and since there seems to be no way to try other than buy, I am just looking for some people with use expectations similar to mine.

The Boxwave and the Targus are both the same product. I own that product, it was my first stylus and now it is a backup. I don't really need a back up for my Stylus R Us products. I'm keeping the Boxwave to remind me to always do some research before spending hard earned money on useless or inadequate products.

I have two styli from Stylus R Us, the first one I bought was the Roger iWand that Lavender**Lady mentioned. It is a long, thin, lightweight, aluminum stylus. If you look further up in this thread, I posted a picture of the Targus/Boxwave and this Roger iWand. About three weeks after I started using the Roger iWand, I decided I needed a more pen like stylus as the length of the Roger iWand was hard to carry around.

That is when I bought the Masserati, which has the same heft and weight of a Montblanc ball point pen. The stylus come in different colors, materials, styles. I think they use cars to name their styli because the company is probably trying to avoid trademark or copywrite laws of pen name brands.

Because the tips are fabric, regular use sometimes matts the fiber so the company includes a small velcro strip to refluff it. I find I refluff about every 3 weeks.

Using this stylus is very easy and less fatiguing than the Targus. The Targus is rubber like, so it squeaks as I use it across the screen protector clad iPad. Taking notes is amazingly easy with the Masserati. I document on a daily basis meetings I attend throughout my workday. People were impressed when I first pulled it out and they thought I was going to use a pen on my iPad.

This is one product that relies, not so much on try before you buy it, but by word of mouth and forums like this one. I'm assuming that Stylus R Us is such a small company and a single product manufacturer that it doesn't have the kind of funds to send copies of their product to other companies like Engadget to try them out and review. They also don't seem to have the kind of manufacturing line that allows them to send their products to retail companies to sell in stores like Best Buy.

You may see a poster on this forum named JackBauer, he is the company founder and head stylus maker (I believe) and he is very passionate about his product. I might appear to be a company shill, I am not. I have spent $29 on the Roger iWand and another $39 on the Masserati stylus. I do not anticipate buying another stylus from Stylus R Us because this product does not need to be replaced. It is more than adequate and it does what I bought it for. Yup, too good to be true!

pluto6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Matt -

I read the whole thread, and have been following it for a little while. I know that you are not a shill. just passionate about a product. I respect that, I do the same thing myself.

I currently don't have any problems with the boxwave squeaking, and it seems to work OK, but it is relatively thin and a bit short, and if the Maserati is the weight, and feel of a Mont Blanc, I would be pretty happy with that. Thanks for the input. I will continue to use my boxwave for a little while, but at the first sign of issues, I will purchase one of the SRUs...

Update - I just bought the Jobs and Trump combo. I'm a sucker for passion, small businesses, and quality. I'll report back after receiving and using them.

Last edited:

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I feel the same way with my Targus. Would I mind some length, no, but it works for me. I'm also not too keen on the idea of needing to re-fluff the fabric tip, but people do seem to love the SRU products, so it's whatever works. The Targus one does what I need.

OP
MattIM

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What???

Update - I just bought the Jobs and Trump combo. I'm a sucker for passion, small businesses, and quality. I'll report back after receiving and using them.

Okay, I wasn't TWISTING your arm to buy a stylus!! But if you don't like the two you got from Stylus R Us and want to go back to Targus, please PM and I'll send you my Targus :D:D

neens_wa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the post re: the iWand! I had three pogos (the amazon reviews were all in favor of, at the time...) - ICK - I hate the POGO!

I bought the Targus. I don't know if it's any better than the POGO. I think it is just as bad, in different ways.

Last week I ordered a stylus from Amazon called Acase. It is longer than the pogo - very comfortable to use. Where the Targus tip is soft and mushy (worse than the pogo sponge), the Acase stylus tip is rubber also, and soft, but not so mushy like the Targus. It's also a teeny bit narrower - which I like for writing. I'm still getting the hang of it... I paid about 18.99, I think.

The iWand looks L*O*N*G. Is it just the length of a pencil?

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have been using the Targus a lot for the last month. I think it is great (Note Taker HD). It would be great if it had a finer point, but I think that's just how things have to be in the realm of capacitative styluses.

That said, I can see how the tip may eventually work itself loose. Some users on this site have already experienced this. If or when that happens to me, I'll switch to my backup Targus and put in an order for a SUR stylus.

Whatever happened to Jack? He's not as active on these forums as he once was. Possibly a good thing for his sales! :)

rsmin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just love it

Felt like it was time to jump in and give me 2 cents worth. I was in the market for a stylus when I saw the reviews in this forum on Jack's stylus at Stylus-R-Us. After a few emails back and forth with Jack on which Stylus I might need, I decided on the Terminator of which I have been using the last few days and love it. This post is on two aspects of my experience with Jack and Stylus-R-Us.

(1) Customer Service. It's truly is unbeatable. Maybe it's because Jack is a small company or maybe it is his business philosophy but his customer service can't be beat. As I stated above I started emailing Jack because I wasn't sure which stylus I would benefit from and to his credit he didn't guide me to the most expensive stylus even though that is one of the ones I picked. He is more concerned with you having the correct product and enjoying it than having the most expensive one and he even suggested that on the emails to me. So that initial contact really impressed me. Secondly, with the customer service aspect, my original order wound up having a problem with USPS and me not receiving it when we thought it would get here. I couldn't be more happy how Jack worked with me and quickly resolved the situation that wasn't even his problem. He called me checking on me before I could call him and tell him there might be a problem. The stylus did finally arrive after he sent me another one and it was sent the day he said it was and it apparently had gotten lost in the mail of which Jack is now sending them out with tracking. Again I can't state how much I appreciate Jack's customer service in the beginning of my search till the final aspect of the purchase. He was extremely considerate and professional all the way through the process.

(2) The Stylus. Now for the stylus itself. When Jack says there is no competition he is correct. IF you use it like Jack says (directions on the website and sent with the stylus) you won't have any problem. I haven't had it long enough to say how long you need to go in between "fluffing it up" but I have not had to do that yet after several days of using it. I saw someone on this forum or another forum say that they are going about a month between times they need to fluff it up. I use it to move between apps and when surfing but mainly got it for taking notes, of which I am using (Note Taker HD) which I love. The best way I can describe the touch is to use it like it is a "feather". I don't put any pressure on the glass at all and it writes perfectly. Plus with using Note Taker HD you don't have to worry about your hand resting on the screen. I will say it takes a little practice to get used to the touch, but once you get used to it you don't have to worry about it. Kind of like riding a bike, after you learn to "ride it" you don't even think about that part of it anymore. It just kind of flows across the screen. The other aspect I like is that the screen stays clean of all smudges. I was constantly wiping the smudges off the screen but I don't have to do that anymore with the stylus. I can't imagine using my IPAD now without this stylus. Just remember to follow the directions that Jack stresses on his web site and in the package you get from Jack with the stylus. I am totally satisfied with this product. The weight, the feel, and the quality of the terminator means that I probably will not have to ever buy another stylus which is another aspect I like and which is why the initial cost of the stylus doesn't bother me. I would rather pay a little more at first and be done with it, than to replace one ever so often because the rubber tip fell off on one of the cheaper ones.

For those that think I may be writing this because I know Jack, I don't. Never met Jack before this purchase but glad I did, for he is great to work with and I am totally satisfied with this product.

Rusty:)

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I feel the same way with my Targus. Would I mind some length, no, but it works for me. I'm also not too keen on the idea of needing to re-fluff the fabric tip, but people do seem to love the SRU products, so it's whatever works. The Targus one does what I need.

Hello Zorah (Cool name!)

Let me make a comment on your respected feelings on not caring for "re-fluffing. You're probably under 25 so you're not old enough (lucky you) to have dealt with the first generation alleged touch screen devices - or their ice pick stylus - styluses. In order to use them - you had to JAM/STAB the screen - to make them work. The world is STILL accustomed to using a stylus like that. Doing that with a NEW generation stylus - not only isn't required - but will create what we call - "DEAD-SPOTS" on the stylus tip. We send with each order - a small piece of Velcro that REVIVES the tip back to normal - in 1.2 seconds - literally. In life - if we do something stupid that takes our life - we don't get a second chance. We're history. With the Velcro - you get chance.....after chance....after chance to return OUR SRU stylus - right back to its super brand new state of being. That can only be a good thing.

Now - upon your LEARNING how EXTREMELY light of a "touch" you have to use - to make our stylus activate - once you learn that - there is no more need to refluff. The Velcro is like sending along a body guard and instructor to assist you in learning how to use it. Once you've mastered that - like you have driving your car - you no longer need the person (Velcro) sitting beside you to make sure you don't crash. When I bought my helicopter and was taking lessons - I had the instructor beside me teaching me everything. One day - 9 hours into my training - he had me land and started to get out. I asked where he THOUGHT he was going and he said I was ready to take it around myself. I smiled and told him to get his butt back inside: I'd decide when I was ready. Two hours later I landed and asked him to get out. I was ready. It was pretty much like that also with my sea plane (years ago). In life - we need instructions to assist us into learning the operation of whatever. The Velcro is a blessing but one you'll not need long - once you know how to fly it. I mean......

It's very unfortunate all of you have to waste your money on alllllllllllllllllllllllllll of the other stylus - because we have countless emails - telling us they're all a joke and don't work anywhere near as well as my invention/tip. We know that. But getting others to believe it - isn't easy. It takes being a customer - to get to that point in your life. Presently....we're waiting on you. If you have any questions - you can email us at [email protected]

Hello there Jack:
I so totally thank you for making me under 25. Don't I wish:D. I'm by no means an old lady, but not under 25 or near 25! I've had PDA's since the 1990's so I am well accustomed to the old time stylus that has a flat tip and really was just used to tap on the screen. I also have a netbook tablet PC that comes with a stylus that I can use to write on too. It's a resistive screen so it's still different.
I got a Pogo last year for my iPhone and that I can speak to-a year later, it bites! I am sure your tip is not like that. I've not tried to re-fluff the tip of it either-not sure it would do anything. I used it for UYH on the iPhone and it still does okay on that program as it works okay with big letters, but certainly not for finer print at all. The Targus does okay. (and also was accessible at BB for immediate purchase, lol). I may give it a whirl down the line-I always keep my options open. :)

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Felt like it was time to jump in and give me 2 cents worth. I was in the market for a stylus when I saw the reviews in this forum on Jack's stylus at Stylus-R-Us. After a few emails back and forth with Jack on which Stylus I might need, I decided on the Terminator of which I have been using the last few days and love it. This post is on two aspects of my experience with Jack and Stylus-R-Us.

(1) Customer Service. It's truly is unbeatable. Maybe it's because Jack is a small company or maybe it is his business philosophy but his customer service can't be beat. As I stated above I started emailing Jack because I wasn't sure which stylus I would benefit from and to his credit he didn't guide me to the most expensive stylus even though that is one of the ones I picked. He is more concerned with you having the correct product and enjoying it than having the most expensive one and he even suggested that on the emails to me. So that initial contact really impressed me. Secondly, with the customer service aspect, my original order wound up having a problem with USPS and me not receiving it when we thought it would get here. I couldn't be more happy how Jack worked with me and quickly resolved the situation that wasn't even his problem. He called me checking on me before I could call him and tell him there might be a problem. The stylus did finally arrive after he sent me another one and it was sent the day he said it was and it apparently had gotten lost in the mail of which Jack is now sending them out with tracking. Again I can't state how much I appreciate Jack's customer service in the beginning of my search till the final aspect of the purchase. He was extremely considerate and professional all the way through the process.

(2) The Stylus. Now for the stylus itself. When Jack says there is no competition he is correct. IF you use it like Jack says (directions on the website and sent with the stylus) you won't have any problem. I haven't had it long enough to say how long you need to go in between "fluffing it up" but I have not had to do that yet after several days of using it. I saw someone on this forum or another forum say that they are going about a month between times they need to fluff it up. I use it to move between apps and when surfing but mainly got it for taking notes, of which I am using (Note Taker HD) which I love. The best way I can describe the touch is to use it like it is a "feather". I don't put any pressure on the glass at all and it writes perfectly. Plus with using Note Taker HD you don't have to worry about your hand resting on the screen. I will say it takes a little practice to get used to the touch, but once you get used to it you don't have to worry about it. Kind of like riding a bike, after you learn to "ride it" you don't even think about that part of it anymore. It just kind of flows across the screen. The other aspect I like is that the screen stays clean of all smudges. I was constantly wiping the smudges off the screen but I don't have to do that anymore with the stylus. I can't imagine using my IPAD now without this stylus. Just remember to follow the directions that Jack stresses on his web site and in the package you get from Jack with the stylus. I am totally satisfied with this product. The weight, the feel, and the quality of the terminator means that I probably will not have to ever buy another stylus which is another aspect I like and which is why the initial cost of the stylus doesn't bother me. I would rather pay a little more at first and be done with it, than to replace one ever so often because the rubber tip fell off on one of the cheaper ones.

For those that think I may be writing this because I know Jack, I don't. Never met Jack before this purchase but glad I did, for he is great to work with and I am totally satisfied with this product.

Rusty:)

Okay, Rusty!

I have been using a Targus---along with with Nte Taker HD like you. And, like you, I love Note Taker HD.

I have been reading this thread with a lot of interest and "waffling" a bit about buying one.

Your evaluation pushed me over the edge!

So I am going to hold you responsible if it doesn't work out!
:)

Most reactions

Latest posts