1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Stylus: Targus versus Stylus-R-Us Roger iWand

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3' started by MattIM, Nov 26, 2010.

1. neens_wa

neens_wa iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the post re: the iWand! I had three pogos (the amazon reviews were all in favor of, at the time...) - ICK - I hate the POGO!

I bought the Targus. I don't know if it's any better than the POGO. I think it is just as bad, in different ways.

Last week I ordered a stylus from Amazon called Acase. It is longer than the pogo - very comfortable to use. Where the Targus tip is soft and mushy (worse than the pogo sponge), the Acase stylus tip is rubber also, and soft, but not so mushy like the Targus. It's also a teeny bit narrower - which I like for writing. I'm still getting the hang of it... I paid about 18.99, I think.

The iWand looks L*O*N*G. Is it just the length of a pencil?
  2. chowdown

chowdown iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I have been using the Targus a lot for the last month. I think it is great (Note Taker HD). It would be great if it had a finer point, but I think that's just how things have to be in the realm of capacitative styluses.

That said, I can see how the tip may eventually work itself loose. Some users on this site have already experienced this. If or when that happens to me, I'll switch to my backup Targus and put in an order for a SUR stylus.

Whatever happened to Jack? He's not as active on these forums as he once was. Possibly a good thing for his sales! :)
  3. rsmin

rsmin iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Just love it

Felt like it was time to jump in and give me 2 cents worth. I was in the market for a stylus when I saw the reviews in this forum on Jack's stylus at Stylus-R-Us. After a few emails back and forth with Jack on which Stylus I might need, I decided on the Terminator of which I have been using the last few days and love it. This post is on two aspects of my experience with Jack and Stylus-R-Us.

(1) Customer Service. It's truly is unbeatable. Maybe it's because Jack is a small company or maybe it is his business philosophy but his customer service can't be beat. As I stated above I started emailing Jack because I wasn't sure which stylus I would benefit from and to his credit he didn't guide me to the most expensive stylus even though that is one of the ones I picked. He is more concerned with you having the correct product and enjoying it than having the most expensive one and he even suggested that on the emails to me. So that initial contact really impressed me. Secondly, with the customer service aspect, my original order wound up having a problem with USPS and me not receiving it when we thought it would get here. I couldn't be more happy how Jack worked with me and quickly resolved the situation that wasn't even his problem. He called me checking on me before I could call him and tell him there might be a problem. The stylus did finally arrive after he sent me another one and it was sent the day he said it was and it apparently had gotten lost in the mail of which Jack is now sending them out with tracking. Again I can't state how much I appreciate Jack's customer service in the beginning of my search till the final aspect of the purchase. He was extremely considerate and professional all the way through the process.

(2) The Stylus. Now for the stylus itself. When Jack says there is no competition he is correct. IF you use it like Jack says (directions on the website and sent with the stylus) you won't have any problem. I haven't had it long enough to say how long you need to go in between "fluffing it up" but I have not had to do that yet after several days of using it. I saw someone on this forum or another forum say that they are going about a month between times they need to fluff it up. I use it to move between apps and when surfing but mainly got it for taking notes, of which I am using (Note Taker HD) which I love. The best way I can describe the touch is to use it like it is a "feather". I don't put any pressure on the glass at all and it writes perfectly. Plus with using Note Taker HD you don't have to worry about your hand resting on the screen. I will say it takes a little practice to get used to the touch, but once you get used to it you don't have to worry about it. Kind of like riding a bike, after you learn to "ride it" you don't even think about that part of it anymore. It just kind of flows across the screen. The other aspect I like is that the screen stays clean of all smudges. I was constantly wiping the smudges off the screen but I don't have to do that anymore with the stylus. I can't imagine using my IPAD now without this stylus. Just remember to follow the directions that Jack stresses on his web site and in the package you get from Jack with the stylus. I am totally satisfied with this product. The weight, the feel, and the quality of the terminator means that I probably will not have to ever buy another stylus which is another aspect I like and which is why the initial cost of the stylus doesn't bother me. I would rather pay a little more at first and be done with it, than to replace one ever so often because the rubber tip fell off on one of the cheaper ones.

For those that think I may be writing this because I know Jack, I don't. Never met Jack before this purchase but glad I did, for he is great to work with and I am totally satisfied with this product.

Rusty:)
  4. zorah

zorah iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Hello there Jack:
    I so totally thank you for making me under 25. Don't I wish:D. I'm by no means an old lady, but not under 25 or near 25! I've had PDA's since the 1990's so I am well accustomed to the old time stylus that has a flat tip and really was just used to tap on the screen. I also have a netbook tablet PC that comes with a stylus that I can use to write on too. It's a resistive screen so it's still different.
    I got a Pogo last year for my iPhone and that I can speak to-a year later, it bites! I am sure your tip is not like that. I've not tried to re-fluff the tip of it either-not sure it would do anything. I used it for UYH on the iPhone and it still does okay on that program as it works okay with big letters, but certainly not for finer print at all. The Targus does okay. (and also was accessible at BB for immediate purchase, lol). I may give it a whirl down the line-I always keep my options open. :)
  5. Heaviside

Heaviside iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Okay, Rusty!

I have been using a Targus---along with with Nte Taker HD like you. And, like you, I love Note Taker HD.

I have been reading this thread with a lot of interest and "waffling" a bit about buying one.

Your evaluation pushed me over the edge!

So I am going to hold you responsible if it doesn't work out!
    :)
  6. rsmin

rsmin iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Heaviside,

That's ok. I can handle it.
    In fact using the stylus writing this reply. If you are a little worried, by one of the cheaper ones.

Just remember:

1. Follow the directions.
    2. Practice

I really don't think you can go wrong with Jack's stylus.

Rusty :)
  7. Heaviside

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Rusty,

Thanks, I understand I will have to practice a bit with the by now "proverbial" light touch---or did Jack actually mentione it once or twice?

I intended to add a smiley at the end of my last posting, but it didn't show up for some reason!
  8. rsmin

rsmin iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Heaviside,

I guess Jack has to keep mentioning it because people often misuse his type of stylus. He mentioned it to me several times during our initial discussions of which I appreciated. As the case with most men (and some women), they usual won't read instructions on the many things that they buy figuring they know all about or can figure it out. If they do that with this they won't experience good results and will be fussing with Jack that his product doesn't work. Actually the more I use his stylus the more I love it. The first few minutes I used it I was a little worried, but that soon faded away and now I almost have to keep it with me. When I pick up my iPad, I pick up my stylus with it. His stylus with Note Taker HD seem to be the perfect combo for me.

Look forward to seeing what you think about it.

9. chowdown

chowdown iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Soft and mushy? I have to disagree. The stylus works like a dream. Its only problem may be its longevity; how long before the tip comes off (if ever)? I find I don't have to press too hard.

Interesting. So Jack, your intended end-user buys a stylus so that he/she can elegantly flick pages and "press" on-screen buttons and keep their screen pristine. What about the person who buys a stylus to write/draw on the screen? Here's a gross generalization for you: no one (in the western world) can write/draw comfortably, quickly and efficiently without their hand resting on the paper/screen/bezel (hand on screen is a whole other issue that deserves its own thread).

I like the idea of a stylus that needs no pressure, as it must surely have a longer life-span. Fluffing it up every now and then doesn't phase me at all. Like I said, you'll be hearing from me when my Targus carks it. (carks it - Australian for "dies").

PS. If a resistive-screen tablet the size of the iPad came out tomorrow I would buy it even if it was twice the price of an iPad. I much prefer using those javelinesque styluses for a number of reasons. Stab? Jab? I think not!
  10. Heaviside

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Ordered a Roger iWand the other day and am looking forward to trying it out.

However, one thing worries me. In the instructions I received with my order acknowledgement, I am told to "keepa' my hands off" the screen---for otherwise my hand oil messes up the tip action. Now that would seem to be a problem. Do I have to buy two and use them like chopsticks to expand the view, etc? It seems to me that this violates the whole concept of the iPad.
  11. chowdown

chowdown iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    That's an interesting tidbit of information which I haven't heard until now.
  12. pluto6

pluto6 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    So I got my SRU stylii today, and I have say that no matter how hard I push, press, and jab, I just can't get them to work.....

Just kidding. :D:D

Not having a lot of stylus experience, and not having tried lots of different stylii, I really can't honestly say that they work better. I can say that they work as advertised. They take a very light touch, and both my 16 y/o son and myself agree that it takes less effort, and "feels" better than the that Boxwave stylus that I have. I would say it like comparing a reasonable ballpoint to a nice fountain pen. The fountain pens just "flow" the ink with minimal effort, and the ballpoint requires some friction. But the Boxwave seems OK to me. I will continue to test and provide comparisons.

@chowdown- I like the resistive screen for precision. The conductive ones are hit or miss for tiny areas. I don't think I would pay double, but I miss the precision.

@Heaviside- the stylus tips appear to be quite thick and sturdy. I use my fingers all the time for gaming, and expect that the tips will clean up quite nicely with a bit of soap and water to remove the oils should that be necessary. I like to keep the screen clean, but I agree, the touch screen was designed to be touched.

I'll continue to post impressions as I use them more, and also compare at least to the Boxwave, but if people have tried the Targus and have not been happy, the SRU may be something that gives them satisfaction. And my experience with Jack, the owner of SRU has been just great. He really works hard to give you the best experience.
  13. Lavenderlady*w*iPad

Lavenderlady*w*iPad iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    heaviside, double tapping the screen w the stylus enlarges as well as the two finger gesture.
  14. Klawster

Klawster iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just purchased one so in a few weeks I will see what all the hype is. Right now I have a targis and I find it way better than my finger.
  15. phylliskb

phylliskb iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Jack's stylus

Well, after meeting with Jack a few times, I have 5 different stylus sizes. :) I'm handicapped and only have the use of my left hand so different lengths work better on my phone, Ipad and Nook. As a matter of fact, Jack made 2 pink styli just for me; one is 6" and one is 7". How's that for customer service!

Of course, the expandable Terminator would have been great, but you need 2 hands to open and close it.

I've also received the home button for my Ipad and it is just great. I recommend it very highly.

Now, I have a question for you folks. What is a good screen saver that works with Jack's stylus? Is the Zagg non glare a good screen saver?
  16. chowdown

chowdown iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Hi Phyllis
    What does that mean?

What does Jack recommend?
  17. phylliskb

phylliskb iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Home Button

On Jack's website, he has a link to home buttons. That's a little plastic concave button that adheres to the Ipad's convex Home button. It prevents grease and dirt from your fingers from accumulating on the depression on the Ipad. Also, you can go right to the "button" and not fumble looking to depress the home button.

Jack doesn't recommend a particular screen saver. He told me to be careful because some screen savers interfere with the effectiveness of the stylus. If possible, try my stylus out on a screen saver or ask the folks on the forum if they have a particular one that works with the stylus. I thought someone mentioned a Zagg.
  18. rsmin

rsmin iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Phyllis,

Thanks for sharing the customer service that Jack is extending to you. It really does show the character of this man and his company.

19. Spink10

Spink10 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Matt after reading these post I think I might pull the trigger and get the Roger iWand. Also feel better know the owner posts on this site - I have been debating back and forth - I am kind of cheap :)
  20. pluto6

pluto6 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0

Phyllis -

Power Support makes the best screen protectors that I have ever used for the iPhone - I did not get the iPad one from them for 2 reasons - 1) it is / was more expensive than I wanted to pay and 2) they took their sweet time about having it come out... So I purchased a no-name

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003FPB1I2/ref=wms_ohs_product"]Amazon.com: 2 pcs 9.7" Screen Protectors for Apple Ipad 3g Tablet (by CCM®): Electronics[/ame]

I purchased from Crazy on Digital. It works great with the stylus that I got from Jack. It is antiglare, and very thin. Their is just a nice slight bit of tactile feedback from the antiglare. Now, the great thing about Power Support is that they almost always go on the first time with no bubbles... With the no-name one that I got - I prepared the screen with a nice micro fiber cloth, then used one of the screen protectors (you get 2) as a sort of giant piece of no stick tape, to get the micro pieces of lint, dust, etc. off the screen, then I used the other screen protector to actually put it on. For 3 bucks - no bubbles, perfect fit, and after 8 months of use (I got the iPad the day they came out), it is still just in the same shape as when I put it on... So, a recommendation for this no-name.

But, if you want a real high quality, Power Support protectors are great (at least for the iPhone), and I am pretty sure they would work great with the stylus as well. With the use of only 1 hand, I would recommend that you have someone else apply whatever you get, it is not so much fun getting the protector lined up just right, I had to lift and lower several times to get it within all the margins... Much easier on the iphone (which makes perfect sense given the size difference). Good luck to you.

Oh, I never looked at Zagg, as it was one that I first bought my son (who keeps the phone in his pocket), and after a couple of months it was peeling on all the edges (which makes sense), but the Power Support never did that despite the same treatment. Also, my own use of the power support, (antiglare) I was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked. And after 2 years, is still looking brand new on the phone...
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2011