1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Stylus: Targus versus Stylus-R-Us Roger iWand

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3' started by MattIM, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Stefx

Stefx iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The targus stylus does have a clip like most pens...I sometimes clip it to the "fold" of the Apple neoprene case and the close the case. Not perfect, but handy to carry the stylus along with the iPad
  2. MattIM

MattIM Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53 / 0
    Nine Days Out

Update. I'm finding that the SRU Roger iWand is still my preferred stylus--it is very light to hold AND requires very little pressure on the iPad surface. The one problem I'm finding is that it is too long to carry along when I'm walking around with the iPad.

So I've been walking around with my Targus stylus as it has a clip that fits in my shirt pocket. When I switch from one stylus to another the difference is remarkable. I jab and press with the Targus but barely touch with the iWand.

Any body else with their stylus experience?
  3. JackBauer

JackBauer iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Hey Matt - you've interrupted my watching Hawaii Five-O but I'll forgive you. Send me via email your roger iWand pay pal receipt and I'll sent you a free high end stylus to try out. You can keep it for 79 years but after that I want it back. Select between the genesis - Mercedes or Maserati.
  4. Lavenderlady*w*iPad

Lavenderlady*w*iPad iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've had my StylusRUs 9" Roger wand & 4" stylus since last Wednesday. I am really liking them both!! In fact I am typing this with the 4" stylus right now! I also have a Pogo Sketch stylus and I like the two Stylusrus styli far better than the Pogo!

For handwriting the Roger wand or short stylus are far superior. The Pogo has to be held just so for it to work and even then it will miss strokes in letters. It requires a lot more pressure, where the Roger needs just the lightest touch and you hold it like you would a pen or pencil. It writes smoothly and I don't miss strokes in letters.

The longer Roger is great for scrolling and both are excellent for hitting the tiny page numbers in forums without having to enlarge the page. It is a little awkward for writing, though I am getting used to it, but it is really nice for drawing. It feels almost like a paint brush in hand.

I use the short stylus when reading and taking notes in bed. I slip it into my pocket to carry it during the day, but the tip does get a bit compressed so needs a touch to the Velcro to get it ready to write again.

My iPad is the first touch device I have owned so I don't have much experience with stylus use. I was disappointed in the way the Pogo performed and after reading about the StylusRus styli decided to try them out. They work the way I hoped a stylus would work with a touch more like a pen but even lighter. The tips need occasional grooming with the Velcro but that isn't a big problem. i haven't used the Pogo at all since getting the Roger wand & the 4" stylus! I would recommend the StylusRUs products without reservation.

And my disclaimer, I am in no way associated with the company. I sell crystals and minerals full time on eBay and am not a computer geek at all!!
  5. MattIM

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53 / 0
    BUT, I already have it on my Christmas list to get a Maserati. That is a beautiful stylus, from what I can see on your website. I'm thinking I might get this stylus by Christmas, if not sooner. I can't wait! I wish YOU had influence with ZAGG so I can get their new Zaggmate with Blue Tooth Keyboard. I'm afraid that is a bit beyond my friends' ability.
  6. Lavenderlady*w*iPad

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Three weeks,still going strong!

Update: I've been using my SRU styli for three weeks and a bit now and absolutely love them!! My pogo stylus has been put back in it's box and sits on a shelf in the storage closet. Haven't been tempted to use it even once!

The 4" stylus is on my nightstand for use when I am using my iPad in bed, the 9" Roger iWand goes wherever I go with my iPad!

There was a bit of a learning curve, but it was worth every minute! I haven't tried the targus stylus to compare, if I come across some one with one, I will, but I would never spend the money on any other stylus now!

This was typed with the Roger, I do all my handwriting notes with it and drawing too, and it is excellent for scrolling. I really like how much cleaner my screen stays too!

Just thought I'd post an update after using them a while in case any one was wondering how they held up. Going strong, and still recommend them!
  7. rsmin

rsmin iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Just curious? With my age it is getting a little harder to hold regular size pens. Can anyone tell which of the stylus at Stylus-R-US would be thicker, thus making it a little easier for me to hold?

Thanks
  8. MattIM

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53 / 0
    Hello rsmin, I am not a company representative but

I have the aluminum Roger iWand, very light. I now have the Masserati version. It is very pen like and elegant. It is also thicker like a good quality pen. I had it in my shirt pocket the other day and someone asked to borrow a pen and reached for it and was surprised!

Try this link and go hunting!

STYLUS-R-US*** -**** WE HAVE NO COMPETITION! - MOTTO
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  9. Heaviside

Heaviside iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0

I was quite interested in following up on some of these styli, and tried to follow the links either the posters or the system put in---such as when Matt said he checked out Jack's website--- but the link only points to a catchall advert thread that doesn't seem to have any relevance. Am I just being my usual dumb self or is something haywire on the site?

Thanks.

P.S. When I try to quote, the quote fills up the reply box and I have to cut and paste to get to the bottom to add my reply. Sorry if I am getting off topic here!
  10. rsmin

rsmin iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thanks

Matt,

Thanks for the response. Will check it out.

Rusty
  11. Tbone60

Tbone60 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just lost the tip for my Targus stylus. Any hopes of getting a replacement ?
  12. phylliskb

phylliskb iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Stylus R Us

I bought the 9" stylus from Stylus R Us. I am really pleased with it. I also bought a 4" stylus from them but it is too short for use with my phone. Since I live a few blocks away, I'm meeting the owner at Burger King and going to exchange it for a longer one or one of the retractable stylus.

The also, have a raised button to put on the home button which makes it easier to use my IPad. That's $15.99 so I'm buying that also. :)
    Phyllis
  13. MattIM

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53 / 0
    Hi Phylliskb, welcome to the forum! You are going to meet the famous Jack at a Burger King??? Surely you all can find a better establishment to equal the high quality product you are exchanging (LOL). Please tell Jack that I absolutely enjoy the Masserati Stylus, it is incredible!
  14. pluto6

pluto6 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    So aim reading with interest about how everyone loves the SRU stylus. However, how does it work for taking lots of notes? I currently use pen and paper, and am used to a nice smooth feel, but there is definitely a certain amount of friction to know the pen is on the paper.

Before finding this site, I looked at a number of stylii at Amazon, and got the Boxwave which has a tip similar to the targus. Using this with penultimate, notes plus, etc it feels much like writing with a pen on a piece of paper.

There is such emphasis of no pressure with the SRU that I wonder how people can make rapid strokes and keep the touch so light. The videos show mostly mundane tasks such as app selection, scrolling, etc. I don't mind using my finger for any of that, i need a stylus for speed - writing notes, drawings, etc rapidly.

Does the SRU stylus do that? If so, what sizes do people use? My favorite pen size is the Mont Blanc Classic Ballpoint pen. The SRU wands look very thin. I am falling into the category of "looks and sounds too god to be true" and since there seems to be no way to try other than buy, I am just looking for some people with use expectations similar to mine.
  15. Surculla

Surculla iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Penultimate

The app shown is called Penultimate and is available for $0.99.
  16. Lavenderlady*w*iPad

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I don't have any problems writing extensive notes with the Roger iWand or my latest addition, the Red Corvette from SRU. Flows really well and I like the feel of not having to press hard to write. I also have a 4" SRU and love it for quick notes when I am using my iPad in bed at night. I might poke my eye out with the Roger in that situation! ;)
  17. MattIM

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53 / 0
    The Boxwave and the Targus are both the same product. I own that product, it was my first stylus and now it is a backup. I don't really need a back up for my Stylus R Us products. I'm keeping the Boxwave to remind me to always do some research before spending hard earned money on useless or inadequate products.

I have two styli from Stylus R Us, the first one I bought was the Roger iWand that Lavender**Lady mentioned. It is a long, thin, lightweight, aluminum stylus. If you look further up in this thread, I posted a picture of the Targus/Boxwave and this Roger iWand. About three weeks after I started using the Roger iWand, I decided I needed a more pen like stylus as the length of the Roger iWand was hard to carry around.

That is when I bought the Masserati, which has the same heft and weight of a Montblanc ball point pen. The stylus come in different colors, materials, styles. I think they use cars to name their styli because the company is probably trying to avoid trademark or copywrite laws of pen name brands.

Because the tips are fabric, regular use sometimes matts the fiber so the company includes a small velcro strip to refluff it. I find I refluff about every 3 weeks.

Using this stylus is very easy and less fatiguing than the Targus. The Targus is rubber like, so it squeaks as I use it across the screen protector clad iPad. Taking notes is amazingly easy with the Masserati. I document on a daily basis meetings I attend throughout my workday. People were impressed when I first pulled it out and they thought I was going to use a pen on my iPad.

This is one product that relies, not so much on try before you buy it, but by word of mouth and forums like this one. I'm assuming that Stylus R Us is such a small company and a single product manufacturer that it doesn't have the kind of funds to send copies of their product to other companies like Engadget to try them out and review. They also don't seem to have the kind of manufacturing line that allows them to send their products to retail companies to sell in stores like Best Buy.

You may see a poster on this forum named JackBauer, he is the company founder and head stylus maker (I believe) and he is very passionate about his product. I might appear to be a company shill, I am not. I have spent $29 on the Roger iWand and another $39 on the Masserati stylus. I do not anticipate buying another stylus from Stylus R Us because this product does not need to be replaced. It is more than adequate and it does what I bought it for. Yup, too good to be true!
  18. pluto6

pluto6 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Matt -

I read the whole thread, and have been following it for a little while. I know that you are not a shill. just passionate about a product. I respect that, I do the same thing myself.

I currently don't have any problems with the boxwave squeaking, and it seems to work OK, but it is relatively thin and a bit short, and if the Maserati is the weight, and feel of a Mont Blanc, I would be pretty happy with that. Thanks for the input. I will continue to use my boxwave for a little while, but at the first sign of issues, I will purchase one of the SRUs...

Update - I just bought the Jobs and Trump combo. I'm a sucker for passion, small businesses, and quality. I'll report back after receiving and using them.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  19. zorah

zorah iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I feel the same way with my Targus. Would I mind some length, no, but it works for me. I'm also not too keen on the idea of needing to re-fluff the fabric tip, but people do seem to love the SRU products, so it's whatever works. The Targus one does what I need.
  20. MattIM

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53 / 0
    What???

Okay, I wasn't TWISTING your arm to buy a stylus!! But if you don't like the two you got from Stylus R Us and want to go back to Targus, please PM and I'll send you my Targus :D:D