What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stylus pens

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah I mean you are considering two possibilities one having a sand on your screen and the other a possibility of writing over that sand particle with the stylus. But here we are talking about just what if the screen is clean and still you are trying to write with a stylus. In the first scenario it will scratch the screen, even I dont have any doubt about that. But here we are talking about a specific scenario of not having anything else on the screen and trying to write with a stylus on the screen and if it will scratch !

If the screen is free of debris then a rubber tip is simply not going to scratch the screen. Even the cheap styli that have rubber tips won't scratch the screen. What I wrote was to give you an example of how, using a rubber tipped stylus, the screen could get scratched.

Lots of people are claiming at the Adoint Jot Pro has scratched their screens. The guy you spoke to telling you can any rubber tipped stylus can scratch your screen if you don't use a screen protector is full of it (unless there is sand on the screen). I think they are worried about all those claims on Amazon.com against them. I'm afraid to try the Jot Pro, however, on the off chance they those tips might have some kind of material in them that is harder than the screen of the iPad. If they do, that might be the reason for the scratches, if those claims are true.

I have my old Droid Incredible smartphone sitting right here (it recently quit working). I just took a fingernail file to its screen, using the sharp pointed end. I could not produce a scratch in its surface. Then I took a pair of scissors to it. Pointy end only. Twice...using hard force. Nothing.

I also have some cheap styli here too. One has a rubber tip and the body is made of Aluminum. Obviously, the rubber tip isn't going to scratch it, but I took the AL end and rammed it on there. Still, no scratch.

It is really hard to scratch the screens, even when you try!

IMO, the best reason to use a screen protector is to control fingerprints, because they are gross to look at. But I don't think one needs them to prevent scratches, unless you play in sand a lot. Of course, I'm not going to experiment with my iPad to test this out. Lots of people like screen protectors, though. I used my iPad 2 for a year, sold it to Amazon, no screen protector and no scratches. I do keep a skin on it and keep it inside a case. The AL body will scratch much more easily than will its screen.

coolstuffs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Stylus pen type will depend on the type of screen of your device. There are stylus pens for resistive type of screen and there are stylus pens for capacitive type of screen. The Ipad 3 has a capacitive type of screen so we can't use the stylus pens for resistive screen for it.

Most reactions

Latest posts