What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stupidly Updated to 4.2.1, and Now Need Clarification

Samurai26

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, I won my iPad in a raffle two days ago and immediately plugged it into my MacBook pro, and was prompted to update it 4.2.1. Without thinking i agreed and it updated....

Today, I was going to jailbreak it until I read up on the topic and noticed that the SHSH blobs from 4.1 were necessary for any jailbreak, including the upcoming untethered version. I then proceeded to yell profanities in my room for about an hour until I cooled down.

To get to the point, here's my main question:

Will I ever be able to jailbreak my iPad untethered, even though I do not have the SHSH blobs from 4.1?

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can jailbreak with redsn0w but it is a tethered jailbreak and you cannot unlock to other carriers....not really a huge deal on the iPad. The shsh has to be saved to downgrade firmware... But don't worry we aren't tooooo far from an unlock but nobody really knows....;)

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, I won my iPad in a raffle two days ago and immediately plugged it into my MacBook pro, and was prompted to update it 4.2.1. Without thinking i agreed and it updated....

Today, I was going to jailbreak it until I read up on the topic and noticed that the SHSH blobs from 4.1 were necessary for any jailbreak, including the upcoming untethered version. I then proceeded to yell profanities in my room for about an hour until I cooled down.

To get to the point, here's my main question:

Will I ever be able to jailbreak my iPad untethered, even though I do not have the SHSH blobs from 4.1?
OK for one thing there never was a 4.1 for the iPad so there is no way to have saved those SHSH blobs.

Now last I checked, a few days ago, Apple was still signing 3.2.2... and that was the current public release before 4.2.1. You should be able to hurry up and at least get those blobs saved.

But I am not so sure I would care. I certainly not wanting to go back to 3.2.2... Ugh. Yes 3.2.2 has an untethered jailbreak but I honestly don't want to give up 4.x for that.

I am jailbroken on 4.2.1 and it is not that bad--yes it is tethered. You just have to be careful about rebooting. But you don't need 3.2.2 BLOBs to jailbreak 4.2.1... you would only need that if you wanted to downgrade to 3.2.2 and Apple stopped signing 3.2.2.

Michael

RussW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need some clarification on this topic also. I have an non-jailbroken iPad with 3.2.2. How do I save the SHSH blobs? If I update to 4.2.1 can I go back to 3.2.2 in the future or is it a done deal once I hit the update button on iTunes? I saved the 3.2.2 firmware that is over on limera1n.org (which has links to download all firmware versions from Apple.com); but how does one roll back to it on an iPad that has been updated to 4.2.1? There is no info on limera1n.org to explain how to do this so that is why I am asking here so that if I do update to 4.2.1 I will know how to downgrade back if needed.

OP
S

Samurai26

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, I'm starting to get it, but there's still one issue that I'm unclear about:

I know that without the SHSH blobs I can have tethered jailbreak, but will I ever be able to have an UNTETHERED jailbreak without these blobs?

(remember I'm on 4.2.1 and didn't save my blobs on 3.2.2 or any other previous version of iOS)

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
] You just have to be careful about rebooting. But you don't need 3.2.2 BLOBs to jailbreak 4.2.1... you would only need that if you wanted to downgrade to 3.2.2 and Apple stopped signing 3.2.2.

Michael

Why be careful about rebooting, Michael?

If you reboot while you have a TETHERED Jailbreak it will boot back up in a non jailbroken state. YOu will have to go to your PC and plug it in and tell the PC ( or mac ) to reboot the iPad in a jailbroken state instead.

That is what Mikey-boy there meant.

Most of the time though there is no reason to reboot an iPad....unless it freezes.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
] You just have to be careful about rebooting. But you don't need 3.2.2 BLOBs to jailbreak 4.2.1... you would only need that if you wanted to downgrade to 3.2.2 and Apple stopped signing 3.2.2.

Michael

If you reboot while you have a TETHERED Jailbreak it will boot back up in a non jailbroken state. YOu will have to go to your PC and plug it in and tell the PC ( or mac ) to reboot the iPad in a jailbroken state instead.

That is what Mikey-boy there meant.

Most of the time though there is no reason to reboot an iPad....unless it freezes.
It doesn't just boot into a non-jailbroken state, Digi-Boy. ;)

I WISH that were the case. But it actually won't boot at all... it will just hang at the Apple logo. So rebooting if not using RedSn0w is a big deal indeed, as you can't use iPad till you get back to a PC and boot it with RedSn0w.

Michael

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, I'm starting to get it, but there's still one issue that I'm unclear about:

I know that without the SHSH blobs I can have tethered jailbreak, but will I ever be able to have an UNTETHERED jailbreak without these blobs?

(remember I'm on 4.2.1 and didn't save my blobs on 3.2.2 or any other previous version of iOS)
Yes when a non-tethered 4.2.1 jb comes out you will be able to do it.

Saving the blobs, for 4.2.1, means you can always go back to 4.2.1 even if Apple stops signing 4.2.1. So let's say a tethered 4.2.1 jb comes out a week before 4.3 firmware is released--and no 4.3 jb is out at all. And let's also say you updated to 4.3 either by mistake or to try it out. But now you think you would rather go back to 4.2.1 jailbroken. Well if Apple stopped signing 4.2.1 you wouldn't be able to... but you can if your 4.2.1 blobs are saved.

So saving blobs is not really related to jailbreaking per se.... It is more to preserve the ability to downgrade when Apple would otherwise not allow it. In fact I know people who save them just so they can downgrade... and they have never jailbroken and prolly won't.

Michael

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need some clarification on this topic also. I have an non-jailbroken iPad with 3.2.2. How do I save the SHSH blobs? If I update to 4.2.1 can I go back to 3.2.2 in the future or is it a done deal once I hit the update button on iTunes? I saved the 3.2.2 firmware that is over on limera1n.org (which has links to download all firmware versions from Apple.com); but how does one roll back to it on an iPad that has been updated to 4.2.1? There is no info on limera1n.org to explain how to do this so that is why I am asking here so that if I do update to 4.2.1 I will know how to downgrade back if needed.
Google TinyUmbrella and download the latest version. This will allow you to save your SHSH blobs for 3.2.2, assuming Apple is still signing it. But if Apple is not signing 3.2.2, and you have already moved to 4.2.1--jailbroken or not--you won't be able to go down to 3.2.2.

To downgrade with blobs on file you either edit your hosts file to redirect apple's signing server to Saurik's, or use tinyumbrella to do it. It basically fools iTunes into thinking it is talking to Apple, when in fact it is not.

This is why you see people always urging folks to SAVE THOSE BLOBS. :)

Michael

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Michael

'Cause if I wasn't in front of my PC, Mikey would not have a working iPad till back to a PC! Whaaaaaaa! ;)

Michael

RussW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great info; thank you Michael! A couple more questions... iTunes requires an update to iTunes 10.1 before you install 4.2.1. Will TinyUnbrella still work with iTunes 10.1 or did Apple close the door on it with the latest software? Is there a way to archive iTunes 10 so it can be used to downgrade at a later date or do I need a computer with the older version on it to be on stand-by? I'm on PC's, not Macs.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can usually find older copies of iTunes around if you need it.

But you shouldn't need it for this--10.1 will work with 4.2.1 and 3.2.2.

As for TinyUmbrella it will work with the latest iTunes no problem. Just be sure to download latest version. When you run it log at the "log" of what it is doing... it will say if a new version is available.

Michael

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is why you see people always urging folks to SAVE THOSE BLOBS. :)

blobbert.jpg

:D

RussW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kinda like save the whales, save the planet, save the ta-tas... :D:D

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eScDfYzMEEw[/ame]

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts